Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looking at President Bush, Seeing an 'Impostor'
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5227215

Listen to this story... by Terry Gross

Bruce Bartlett worked in the administrations of Ronald Reagan and President George H. Walker Bush.

Bruce Bartlett worked in the administrations of President Ronald Reagan and President George H. Walker Bush. Random House

Fresh Air from WHYY, February 22, 2006 Despite what his supporters say, President Bush has far more in common with Richard Nixon than Ronald Reagan. That's the idea put forth in conservative economist Bruce Bartlett's new book, Impostor.

The book, subtitled "How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy," looks at the president from the point of view of a former Reagan White House official.

Calling President Bush an opportunist who lacks a set of political principles like those that guided Reagan, Bartlett worries that the country -- and conservatives in particular -- are being hurt by the president's mistakes. He faults Bush for increasing federal spending -- with programs like the 2003 Medicare prescription drug bill -- while also cutting taxes.

Bartlett, who supported Bush in the 2000 election, was a domestic policy aide at the White House in the Reagan administration; he also served as deputy assistant secretary in the Treasury Department under the first President Bush.

Until recently, Bartlett was a senior fellow at the conservative think tank the National Center for Policy Analysis. He lost the job in October because, Bartlett says, he was increasingly critical of President Bush.
    Last edited by aprasad; 02/22/2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Big deal...why is this a surprise? I wouldn't exactly call George Bush "Conservative."

Is every Republican supposed to fall in line?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    No. But I hope all true Conservatives will re-think their blind support of the Republican candidates...

Did you listen to the 40 min interview? This guy was HARD on Bush.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Look in the mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    No. But I hope all true Conservatives will re-think their blind support of the Republican candidates...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Big deal...why is this a surprise? I wouldn't exactly call George Bush "Conservative."

Is every Republican supposed to fall in line?
    Exactly. Libs are in lockstep...any dissent at all is seen as treason. They can't understand any other method.

On another note I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to see that NPR ran this story. Someone explain to me why the government has any role in subsidizing a media outlet?
    40 minutes out of my day? hmmm, no. Your title implies there has been scores of prominent conservatives leaving Bush's base. Can you mention a few more examples?

Did you listen to the 40 min interview? This guy was HARD on Bush.
    As brash and pretty much smart @$$ Democrat, the only thing I can say is you can't compare the legacy of the former president. These are different times, way different matters. Back then yes there was the cold war, granted back then were times of great uncertainty regarding nuclear weapons. From what I remember there wasn't that big of worry regarding federal spending. Regan did what he had to do. He was quite convincing when it came to spending, even during the Star Wars era. Now we have issues regarding medicare, prescription drugs. Then again in this day in age, more people are retiring earlier and earlier. Times are rough, people are really struggling to stay afloat. Different times, different presidents policies.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am glad that people disagree with politicians. It does not happen nearly enough. I am not just talking about the president, all politicians. Many on this board will rapidly throw a thread out when someone disagrees with Bush, but do not mention liberal activist who diagree with Hillary Clinton, and then there are those who look for evil behind every democrat and defend Bush regardless of the issue. If we want the country to become stronger, united and retain the title of the greatest nation on earth we need to look at issues instead of the party line.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Yes I agree, but this bi-partisim will never stop. Its always going to be us vs. them. I'm sad to say the only time we were actually together was during the week of 9/11. Liberals and Conservatives were hand in hand in taking action. It only fell apart when people starting picking apart the issues at hand. I think your right because just when something good is about to happen, someone has always got a hidden agenda to ruin the party. Someones always investigating someone else. I'm a Democrat true and true, but I don't agree with a lot of what Hillary has to say, nor in the manner in which it is said.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
  10.    #10  
    Originally Posted by aprasad
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Look in the mirror!
    What's your point? I am a liberal but will gladly vote for some Republicans like McCain and Guliani. Depends on their competition.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Exactly. Libs are in lockstep...any dissent at all is seen as treason. They can't understand any other method.

On another note I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to see that NPR ran this story. Someone explain to me why the government has any role in subsidizing a media outlet?
    Ah! the attack on NPR...

Let me guess.. you did not actually listen to the interview (or any episode of Fresh Air). You have no idea how fair and balanced the intervire was. Nor do you have any idea of the guest list of Fresh Air over the last few years.

Pavlov's research is validated again.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    40 minutes out of my day? hmmm, no. Your title implies there has been scores of prominent conservatives leaving Bush's base. Can you mention a few more examples?
    Let's see.. Bruce Bartlett doesn't like Bush's economics. George Will has written some very critical articles about Bush and Big Govt.

This guy doesn't like his foreign policy:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107592

My guess is.. these guys are instantly banished form the ranks of Conservatives.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Let's see.. Bruce Bartlett doesn't like Bush's economics. George Will has written some very critical articles about Bush and Big Govt.

This guy doesn't like his foreign policy:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107592

My guess is.. these guys are instantly banished form the ranks of Conservatives.
    Oh, like what happened to Zell Miller?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14.    #14  
    What happened to him? Did Chris Matthews kill him in the duel?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    No. He (a Democrat) endorsed Mr. Bush in the 2004 election. In fact, gave a speech at the GOP convention. He has often critisized his own Party, and basically gets called every name in the book by the Left.

James Traficant is another Democrat who was lambasted by the Left. Of course he's a serious nutball though.

(can he still wear the wig in Prison?)

17.    #17  
    In every case, we must listen to the message and the points being raised and isolate that from the messenger .. to the extent possible. Debate the issues, not personalities.

(Says I.. putting on my righteous hat)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    In every case, we must listen to the message and the points being raised and isolate that from the messenger .. to the extent possible. Debate the issues, not personalities.

(Says I.. putting on my righteous hat)
    I would agree with that. Which is why I originally asked if all Republicans (Democrats too) are supposed to fall in line.

I'm a registered Rep., but I'm more Libertarian then Conservative, at least a modern day image of Conservative. There are lots of things I disagree with that are viewed as Conservative ideals. There are things I disagree with the President about. I wish more people were independant thinkers, instead of ideologues.

Ah! the attack on NPR...

Let me guess.. you did not actually listen to the interview (or any episode of Fresh Air). You have no idea how fair and balanced the intervire was. Nor do you have any idea of the guest list of Fresh Air over the last few years.

Pavlov's research is validated again.
    You guess correct. And I can just guess what your idea of fair and balanced would be.

And now you can explain why the government should be subsidizing NPR? Wasn't it just a few months ago your kind was all upset about Armstrong Williams?
    What happened to him? Did Chris Matthews kill him in the duel?
    My money would be on Zell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast