Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    And as for Vista being a rip off of Apple's OS.....no news there...every Windows has always been a rip off of the Apple OS....tho to be fair, Apple did a pretty good job of "imitating" Xerox's stuff.
    "Imitating"?

I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I hear you'll need to have a minimum 4GB RAM chip to run Vista properly. Is that true?
    From what I've been hearing, 1 will be required and 2 will be recommended. I haven't heard 4 yet, some beta testers may have been using 4, but hardware requirements almost always get lowered as software moves through its iterations.

For the most part, I've been hearing that today's PCs, with the exception of most graphics cards, are more than powerful enough to run Vista with Aero Glass.
    I'm back!
    Gaming laptops are expensive as of now. Many come out priced about $2500 on the low end and $3200+ on the higher end. How many people are going to switch over from XP with costs like that? Although I will assume gaming desktops are a bit less. But still.
    Legitimate concerns, although I really think the hardware requirements will slip a bit before Vista goes gold. And Microsoft knows there will be a large segment of the market that won't upgrade because they won't be able to run Aero Glass. But truth be told, Microsoft is saying that other than your graphics card, your current PC should be fine to run Vista. You may only be looking at a graphics card and possibly RAM upgrade, and you could be looking at a $400 or less pricetag for that.
    I'm back!
    Gaming laptops are expensive as of now. Many come out priced about $2500 on the low end and $3200+ on the higher end. How many people are going to switch over from XP with costs like that? Although I will assume gaming desktops are a bit less. But still.
    Upgrading an OS never makes business sense. Back "in the day" Corporate America averaged $2500-$4500 upgrading boxes from W4WGs to Win95....and they then found out their machines were actually running their programs 40% slower.,...many peeps lost jobs over that one.

It's much cheaper to buy a new box with the new OS on it. Of course the kiddies and those who must have the latest and greatest on their block are waiting in line anyway at 12:01 in order to have L&G to go on about. But no OS upgraded PC ever ran as fast as it did under the old OS so investing the T&E into such an endeavor seems pointless to me.

You can build a dual boot box w/ XP and Win2k and watch the Win2k boot kick **** in benchmarks on identical hardware. I just upgraded my oldest son's boxes to XP after some of his new games will only play on XP and he's moaning about the hiccups and slow downs in the games and flight sims that played under both. Now he wants me to set up dual boot.
  5.    #45  
    Is that because the files of the old OS are still eating up RAM?

Also, I have laptops running perfectly well on XP and Media Center. I'm not even sure I want to upgrade.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Is that because the files of the old OS are still eating up RAM?
    Nope....HD was formatted and wiped clean before installing newer OS. Replace 256 MB of code with 1.4 GB of code and the bloat gonna slow you down. Just look at min system req'ts.....to get an acceptable level of performance, the newer OS will always need more CPU / Memory / space etc.

If referring to the dual boot, the two OS's are on different partitions and the other OS's partition is completely hidden and unaccessible to the other. All boxes here have two OS installations.....one working and one maintenance.
    Here's a pretty good article about what you can expect, features and performance wise, when Vista drops later this year.....

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp

For those of you concerned about running Aero Glass on your current graphics card, this may soothe your fears a bit......

If you've got a DirectX 9 graphics card with 128MB of RAM or more, you'll be able to enable the "Aero Glass" desktop in Vista. This is the real Vista desktop, and an old version that works like the current Windows XP GDI+ desktop drawing system exists in Vista only for backwards compatibility with systems that don't have the graphics hardware required for Aero Glass
    I'm back!
  8.    #48  
    So is anyone here beta testing Vista? If so, is it really that much better than XP? And can the skin be changed?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So is anyone here beta testing Vista? If so, is it really that much better than XP? And can the skin be changed?
    I have the beta, but I'm not really interested in fudging my home PC, since there's still a lot to be desired in the betas. Supposedly the most recent release was night and day better than the previous one.

Most likely, if you have the money to burn, you will want to upgrade from XP. Read the article I linked to and you might find some compelling reasons to upgrade.

I'm sure the skin can be changed via theme changes, much like Windows works now. And I'd expect skinning programs to crop up as well.
    I'm back!
  10.    #50  
    Looks like a bit of bad news for MSFT.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...321&ID=5588008

Looks like a bit of bad news for MSFT.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...321&ID=5588008
    I had seen that last night.... was gonna use it as example in "there's no such thing as Palm 700p or Hollywood / Lowrider" thread .

Tho, this is really bad ..... they gotta be running outta excuses.....wish they'd forget the fluff and concentrate on the meaningful stuff....forget aeroglass give me a new fie system and dump that damn registry.....let me have Outlook, IE, DRM, MP as options.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123