Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Everyone's ideas came from somewhere. Most likely it wasn't from inside you.
    Ideas and guides are one thing, obvious copying is another. Ask a web designer this has happened to and you'll see what I mean.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    the part i really hate is not from vista, but from office...new file extensions (4 letters instead of 3)
    Well, we knew they'd run out of 3 character designations sometime.
    I'm back!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Ideas and guides are one thing, obvious copying is another. Ask a web designer this has happened to and you'll see what I mean.
    I design intranet applications at work. I've seen this go on. It really isn't that big of a deal, especially in light of Apple's past transgressions. There would be a "pot and kettle" issue if they cried foul. You seem to be much more worked up about this than they are.

    But, to keep the discussion going, I'll pose this question to you. Is Microsoft better or worse than a company, like say Window Blinds, that can skin your desktop and make it look like Mac OSX? What about companies that will skin WMP10, Winamp, or Pocket Tunes to make it look like iTunes? They sell these products for money, they're obviously ripping off Apple's look and feel, so where's the wrath? This isn't a new concept.
    I'm back!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Well, we knew they'd run out of 3 character designations sometime.
    oh i know...but i mean why not stay with the .doc and such...they've been doing that for 97, 2k, xp (2k2), 2k3
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I design intranet applications at work. I've seen this go on. It really isn't that big of a deal, especially in light of Apple's past transgressions. There would be a "pot and kettle" issue if they cried foul. You seem to be much more worked up about this than they are.

    But, to keep the discussion going, I'll pose this question to you. Is Microsoft better or worse than a company, like say Window Blinds, that can skin your desktop and make it look like Mac OSX? What about companies that will skin WMP10, Winamp, or Pocket Tunes to make it look like iTunes? They sell these products for money, they're obviously ripping off Apple's look and feel, so where's the wrath? This isn't a new concept.
    Once, someone thought it would be nice to take all the text off the front page of my site and use it as theirs with no permission. I've seen web designers shut down their sites because they got frustrated with all the graphics theives. Maybe Apple is saying nothing because they did it too(that was wrong too), but it still drives me up the wall.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Because I am the consumer and I have had to purchase two systems to get the best of both worlds. i.e. Windows is compatible with most everything, Apple is more reliable. Vista may take care of both and I'll get rid of Apple. This is purely a selfish consumer opinion. Many Apple fanatics will be upset with Vista. Apple fanatics should take their energy and convert it to b!tching at Apple for not staying competitive with software.
    I don't know I'd call myself an OS fanatic -- I use Mac OS X, Windows, several Unix variants... -- but I don't really perceive much of a UI similarity there. I look at Vista and see a new skin on XP/2003. blah. My read of Vista is "we have a lot of band-aids to put on Windows and we need to wrap it up and make it seem like a really major release." Need I remind anyone that the last major release was basically NT 5 (oh, I'm sorry... that's 2000 to the uninitiated)? Even XP and 2003 were only point releases to that. I guess time will tell what Vista's impact will be... but to me, it's just bundling stuff into XP that should have been there in the first place. Thanks for trying to catch up Microsoft.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Apple should be the last company to complain about companies ripping off their designs and intellectual properties. Maybe we should ask Xerox what they think of that.
    I guess Apple will never live that one down... but that story is older than a lot of people in these forums.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Well, right off the bat you already know that if your PC or laptop has integrated graphics, you'll have to turn off the Aero Glass interface, it just won't run. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shakeup that causes in the mobo manufacturers, like Nvidia with their Nforce chipset. You also know that if your PC isn't newer than 6 months old, or isn't a gaming rig, the graphics card probably can't handle Aero Glass in all it's glory, so this should be a boon to graphics card manufacturers.
    I'm still chuckling about this one. Apple stumbled over this, too, when it started bringing new UI features that basically demanded greater graphics horsepower to operate smoothly. But getting to the point that you need "gaming rig" graphics power to run your OS'es user interface? Isn't that reaching the point of absurdity?
  9. #29  
    I believe that years ago, Apple did cry foul over the desktop concept. And lost.
    The whole PC/GUI concept with the mouse, ect. was all courtesy of Xerox R&D.

    On a side note, there are things I like about both OS's. I like the Mac OS and Apple hardware (sturdy laptops made with the same material they make football helmets). But, I do need the Windows OS (I develop Windows-based software, so no choice). If/when someone gets the Intel-Mac Book to dual boot, then that may be my next machine (Apple has said they have no plans to prevent this).

    In my opinion, this would be the best of both worlds. Apple would get my $$$ for their Intel Mac...Microsoft would get my $$$ for over-the-counter license of Vista (when its finally released)... I can use both with one machine... They're happy...I'm happy...we're all happy.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I'm still chuckling about this one. Apple stumbled over this, too, when it started bringing new UI features that basically demanded greater graphics horsepower to operate smoothly. But getting to the point that you need "gaming rig" graphics power to run your OS'es user interface? Isn't that reaching the point of absurdity?
    Yes, but shiny new toys sell, so I understand why they're doing it.

    And I won't be complaining that Windows will look nicer.
    I'm back!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I don't know I'd call myself an OS fanatic -- I use Mac OS X, Windows, several Unix variants... -- but I don't really perceive much of a UI similarity there. I look at Vista and see a new skin on XP/2003. blah. My read of Vista is "we have a lot of band-aids to put on Windows and we need to wrap it up and make it seem like a really major release." Need I remind anyone that the last major release was basically NT 5 (oh, I'm sorry... that's 2000 to the uninitiated)? Even XP and 2003 were only point releases to that. I guess time will tell what Vista's impact will be... but to me, it's just bundling stuff into XP that should have been there in the first place. Thanks for trying to catch up Microsoft.
    Well, truth be told, 2003 wasn't so much a point release as it was a security overhaul, but I see what you're saying. XP really was just a home version of NT/2000 with a pretty face. Vista will be a major release though, there are a lot of concepts going in there that are more than just upgrades to the current XP/2003 codebase. Like I said earlier, it's a shame that WinFS didn't make the cut, that would be a major improvement in the current Registry and Search components. Hopefully they will release that soon after Vista, at the very least as part of SP1.
    I'm back!
  12. #32  
    Can't wait to buy me an overpriced Alienware (or a similarly spec'd Dell at half the price) just to download my email!

    W00t!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Can't wait to buy me an overpriced Alienware (or a similarly spec'd Dell at half the price) just to download my email!

    W00t!!
    You have a Treo, read it there.

    You can read your email on your underpowered PC, you just won't be able to make it transparent or do backflips or anything.
    I'm back!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Well, truth be told, 2003 wasn't so much a point release as it was a security overhaul, but I see what you're saying. XP really was just a home version of NT/2000 with a pretty face. Vista will be a major release though, there are a lot of concepts going in there that are more than just upgrades to the current XP/2003 codebase. Like I said earlier, it's a shame that WinFS didn't make the cut, that would be a major improvement in the current Registry and Search components. Hopefully they will release that soon after Vista, at the very least as part of SP1.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    If only it was true......
    I'm back!
  16. #36  
    That was priceless!
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    but i had a meeting with Microsoft Canada yesterday for Office 12 and Vista, and they both look pretty cool...its all about security
    So much so that MS will charge you $50 a year for AV protection for protection against the security holes they left there in the first place.....nice business plan !

    And as for Vista being a rip off of Apple's OS.....no news there...every Windows has always been a rip off of the Apple OS....tho to be fair, Apple did a pretty good job of "imitating" Xerox's stuff.
  18. #38  
    Everybody rips off everybody else. Even Palm has been sued over Graffiti. RIM was sued. Huey Lewis and the News sued Ray Parker over Ghostbusters, Hammer-time was sued by Rick James. Every piece of crap rap song is nothing but a sample of 100 other songs...

    The last original creation was me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Well, right off the bat you already know that if your PC or laptop has integrated graphics, you'll have to turn off the Aero Glass interface, it just won't run. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shakeup that causes in the mobo manufacturers, like Nvidia with their Nforce chipset. You also know that if your PC isn't newer than 6 months old, or isn't a gaming rig, the graphics card probably can't handle Aero Glass in all it's glory, so this should be a boon to graphics card manufacturers.

    As a developer, I'm excited to know that from here on out, all Windows applications will have to be managed code, no more unmanaged garbage floating around out there. It's a shame that WinFS didn't make the cut.
    I hear you'll need to have a minimum 4GB RAM chip to run Vista properly. Is that true?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Yes, but shiny new toys sell, so I understand why they're doing it.

    And I won't be complaining that Windows will look nicer.
    Gaming laptops are expensive as of now. Many come out priced about $2500 on the low end and $3200+ on the higher end. How many people are going to switch over from XP with costs like that? Although I will assume gaming desktops are a bit less. But still.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions