Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    yeah right, that will receive a red carpet reception here ;-)
    I think it would get discussed. You have to remember that the radical Muslim lunatics are what's making the headlines at the moment.

Religious lunatics of any faith bug me. Eric Rudolph, (the Atlanta Olympics and abortion clinic bomber) is a piece of crap as well. Fred Phelps (hasn't done anything violent that I know of, but a nutcase still). Even Ted Kaczynski I would consider a religious nutball, since his Environmentalism was almost a religion to him.

But right now, at this point in time, the focus is on the Muslim world. I don't think it's fair to say Advance is singleing them out, anymore than it would be fair of you to say other lunatics wouldn't be talked about if they were grabbing the headlines.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    No I wouldn't categorize your terrorist comment as accurate. A marine who would kill for the name of his/her country does not make a terrorist. Honestly tgung, you asking these questions of the definition appears to be political correctness.
    Im not interested in political correctness (unless you define it differently than I do...It makes no difference to me if you want to call some Muslim's terrorists.) I am just interested in finding out if you can see the flip side of the coin (not necessarily that you will change).

Your definition (I think) was
    A Muslim terrorist kills in the name of Islam.
    If a Marine kills a Palestinian in the name of the U.S. (or democracy or ...whatever), I wouldn't personally label him a terrorist but I can see from a different point of view (i.e. a Palestinian) that the Marine may look like a terrorist.

From a Palestinian point of view, the Marine might look like a terrorist because:
    1.) He's an invader in that foreign country.
    2.) He (arguably) has no legal authority (and even acted without U.N. authority)
    3.) He is a killer/murderer (and at least in some cases, innocent people have been killed).
    4.) He is pushing a political agenda (i.e. he wants democractic rule to be the law of the land.)
    5.) By killing, he is utilizing a non-political avenue to express/push his views.

From my limited knowledge of terrorism, individuals find utility in it because they feel that they have no legitimate political avenue, it's relatively easy, and it's relatively low cost with high results (i.e. shock factor). (i.e. Marines have no way of voting in the foreign country, it's relatively easy to kill a lot of people with the weapons we have, you can kill a lot with just a few...and didnt we have a campaign of shock and awe?)

It's just a thought...I think there are parallels that can be drawn.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #43  
    I see what you are saying. I think the Marine would not be looked at as a terrorist, but as something negative (infidel?). However, this thread is dedicated to Muslim terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Im not interested in political correctness (unless you define it differently than I do...It makes no difference to me if you want to call some Muslim's terrorists.) I am just interested in finding out if you can see the flip side of the coin (not necessarily that you will change).

Your definition (I think) was If a Marine kills a Palestinian in the name of the U.S. (or democracy or ...whatever), I wouldn't personally label him a terrorist but I can see from a different point of view (i.e. a Palestinian) that the Marine may look like a terrorist.

From a Palestinian point of view, the Marine might look like a terrorist because:
    1.) He's an invader in that foreign country.
    2.) He (arguably) has no legal authority (and even acted without U.N. authority)
    3.) He is a killer/murderer (and at least in some cases, innocent people have been killed).
    4.) He is pushing a political agenda (i.e. he wants democractic rule to be the law of the land.)
    5.) By killing, he is utilizing a non-political avenue to express/push his views.

From my limited knowledge of terrorism, individuals find utility in it because they feel that they have no legitimate political avenue, it's relatively easy, and it's relatively low cost with high results (i.e. shock factor). (i.e. Marines have no way of voting in the foreign country, it's relatively easy to kill a lot of people with the weapons we have, you can kill a lot with just a few...and didnt we have a campaign of shock and awe?)

It's just a thought...I think there are parallels that can be drawn.
    I see what you are saying. I think the Marine would not be looked at as a terrorist, but as something negative (infidel?). However, this thread is dedicated to Muslim terrorists.
    Are there any terrorists other than muslims?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Of course there are.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #46  
    yes
    yes
    That was very informative...
    Fair enough. I might have missed it in this thread, but what about a Muslim that kills in the name of Allah makes them a terrorist. It has to be something more than killing in the name of Allah right? Is it the way they kill?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

9.    #49  
    What do you mean 'way they kill', you mean the actual act that makes the heart stop beating?

Fair enough. I might have missed it in this thread, but what about a Muslim that kills in the name of Allah makes them a terrorist. It has to be something more than killing in the name of Allah right? Is it the way they kill?
    That was very informative...
    Crap, you asked a yes/no question, he gave you a yes/no answer. And now you b1tch...

None that cause such wide-spread havoc. Tamil Tigers or Hundutva groups terrorize areas of the Asian subcontinent. Remnants of the IRA cause problems in Northern Ireland. A very small minority of Sikhs still plot the occasional assassination. Left and Right Wing groups battle through Central America. But the Muslim terrorists have terrorized both hemispheres and every continent except Antarctica.
    What do you mean 'way they kill', you mean the actual act that makes the heart stop beating?
    Yes, some would argue that beheading someone is more of a 'terrorist' act than shooting someone for example.

13.    #53  
    Seems who they kill gets more of an emotional response (other muslims, women, children).

Yes, some would argue that beheading someone is more of a 'terrorist' act than shooting someone for example.
    Hooves, the U.S. interference (directly or indirectly) in the parts of the world you mentioned in minimal. While the interference is great in Islamic countries.
    How has the US interfered in China? Indonesia? Thailand? Russia? These countries have problems with Islamic insurgency that has nothing to do with the US.
    Sorry Hooves I misunderstood your comments. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $china$, $ex$. $Soviet$ $Union$ ($the$ $mainland$) $don$'$t$ $have$ $problems$ $with$ '$islamists$' $Indo$, $Thai$, $and$ $Philli$ $have$ $a$ $large$ $Muslim$ $population$ $that$ $has$ $been$ $discriminated$ $against$ ($in$ $some$ $countries$ $pretty$ $badly$) $so$ $you$ $can$ $imagine$ $the$ $friction$ $between$ $these$ $groups$ $and$ $the$ $Govt$ $there$.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    None that cause such wide-spread havoc. Tamil Tigers or Hundutva groups terrorize areas of the Asian subcontinent. Remnants of the IRA cause problems in Northern Ireland. A very small minority of Sikhs still plot the occasional assassination. Left and Right Wing groups battle through Central America. But the Muslim terrorists have terrorized both hemispheres and every continent except Antarctica.

Thanks hoovs!

I would not consider a beheading of a hostage a terrorist act. Suside bombers in a busy marketplace is another story.
    I respectfully disagree with nono,the magnitude of the act is irrelevant, a killer is executed for one murder (if we could only get capital punishment as standard of murders)..
    Treoing & Loving it
    Sorry Hooves I misunderstood your comments. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $china$, $ex$. $Soviet$ $Union$ ($the$ $mainland$) $don$'$t$ $have$ $problems$ $with$ '$islamists$' $Indo$, $Thai$, $and$ $Philli$ $have$ $a$ $large$ $Muslim$ $population$ $that$ $has$ $been$ $discriminated$ $against$ ($in$ $some$ $countries$ $pretty$ $badly$) $so$ $you$ $can$ $imagine$ $the$ $friction$ $between$ $these$ $groups$ $and$ $the$ $Govt$ $there$.
    FYI,

China - Uzbek and Uyghur militants have been stirring the pot for many years. The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan wants to create a Islamic state in Central Asia including most of China's Xinxiang province.

Russia - As you know, there have been many terrorist attacks by the Chechens on Russian civilians--including school children. You may not know, however, that problems aren't limited to Chechens. Just recently, Russia's Cheif Mufti predicted violence "even worse than these notorious rallies abroad over the scandalous cartoons" if Moscow goes ahead with a Gay Pride parade.

Indonesia - Violent acts are the course of the day here. From bombing churches to beheading teenage girls walking to school, Muslims have been creating terror in the hearts of its Christian population. So, if Islam is the predominant religion in the country and the its largest Muslim population in the world and if they can claim religious persecution here then I need a new definition of religious persecution.

Thailand - Martial Law has been imposed in the south due to the large number of attacks by Islamic insurgents. Muslim seperatist groups such as the Mujahideen Islam Pattani and the Pattani United Liberation Organization are responsible for scores of attacks in recent years.

Philippines - The Moro Islamic Liberation Front is leading a virtual religious civil war in the souther Philippine islands. Many other Islamic groups have joined in the fun with attacks on such strategic targets as school children. In 2000, members of the Al Haratul Islamiya militant group took over a Catholic school, killed a pregnant teacher and took 20 students hostage.

This is just a sample, I could go on for days.
    hooves I wish I could give you an intelligent answer other than saying individuals do not represent an entire religion. IMHO small groups are acting with motives that Islam has not promoted.
    Treoing & Loving it
    True Muslims are loving forgiving peaceful people. Islam does not give individuals to act on behalf of the State, the State is responsible for protecting the religion. So those who are committing the horrible acts are representing only themselves.
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast