Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Link Here
    Are they Nuts in Washington or what?
    Yes, it would appear that they are.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I will admit that this makes absolutely no sense at all. bush swears to the fight for US security , but then turns around and sells our ports to the the arabs.

THIS IS CRAZY.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    There's really only one thing that matters to this administration: money, and the big businesses that want it, control it, and donate it to the republican party.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The UAE is not Suadi Arabia, nor is it a major oil producing country. In fact, most of the wealth and economy is derived from its location and fact that it is a free port with huge South Asian (Indian etc) expatriate community that drives a extremely profitable economic engine. It is faily liberal compared to other ME countries and does not have the same Islamist tendencies as other countries. I do not think it's wise to lump all Arabic and Islamic countries like this together and see no problem with a company from UAE managing American ports...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    >>>and see no problem with a company from UAE managing American ports...<<<

I do, BIG time!
    Jees people... The UAE is not a fundmentalist Islamist country... Have you guys ever been there? I have, and it is quite weseternized in many ways. Lumping all Arabic and Muslim countries into one basket makes no sense to either American foreign policy or the way the US should approach the muslim world...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't see a problem with it. Someone needs to unload the boats.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ...Lumping all Arabic and Muslim countries into one basket makes no sense to either American foreign policy or the way the US should approach the muslim world...
    We agree in principle. My concern is infiltration. How thorough are the UAE authroities at identifying "radicals" and rooting them out?

A second question is, if pressed on the matter, would the UAE choose western civilization/culture over Islam?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    We agree in principle. My concern is infiltration. How thorough are the UAE authroities at identifying "radicals" and rooting them out?

A second question is, if pressed on the matter, would the UAE choose western civilization/culture over Islam?
    Considering how rapidly Islam is spreading in the American prison system, I'm wondering if this is still a valid question. I mean, wasn't Padilla an American convert? Wasn't that US soldier who threw a grenade into a tent full of US officers an American convert?
    Money talks and B.S. walks
    Treoing & Loving it
    I've gotta agree with gfunk on this. The UAE isn't a radical hotbed. States like Dubai make most of their money not from oil, but from tourism and corporations. I think it's one of the top 10 distribution points on the planet.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The issue is heating up here, as Baltimore is one of the ports in question.
    Congressman Rupperberger (D) is concerned, and so is conservative radio host Tom Marr. There is a question of if it should have been outsourced anyway, as well as the security matter. Libs like to use it against Bush, and Conservatives that are not happy with it are in a quandry too.

By the way- Insertion.... Please, Please, Please restore a more manly, masculine avatar.... the kitty-cat is making me puke!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Isn't there an American company that can do this?
    Surely there is, but someone else was willing to do it cheaper.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Isn't there an American company that can do this?
    Haliburton comes to mind.

Really folks, think about it these ports are run by a British (I think) company now. UAE is not Iran and as others have said UAE is westernized. I would prefer them to be run by a US company but I am sure some would ***** about that company as well.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio

Really folks, think about it these ports are run by a British (I think) company now. UAE is not Iran and as others have said UAE is westernized. I would prefer them to be run by a US company but I am sure some would ***** about that company as well.
    I don't really care if its England or the UAE, I'd rather have a US entity running our ports. Granted, no matter who is running them, we still have a Customs presense. And there's no guarantee that a US company would be more competent. But it seems like it would be better for the US all around (security, jobs, tax revenues, etc) if an American company had this businesss.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    The way I see it is that as the globe becomes more and more flat in a business sense. Each country will have a bigger investment in peace factor. This was discussed on NPR regards to the Israeli – Hamas relationship changes which must come. Also it has been said that the strength of the USA is its multicultural roots adding to our culture.
    However that being said won’t our culture becomes blurred resulting is strife and bigotry. Will/can the USA withstand foreign ownership? Will the USA become the OSA Out Sourced America?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Actually, they can't. Port operations much different than what KBR does.
    Interesting aspect G. made me think of: if another country has a business interest in another, will they want to see the state brought down by terrorists?
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast