Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Don't feel bad he doesn't know where he stands either. He is a typical democrat as soon as a public opinon poll comes out and the dems support it he will give you his opinon. J/K
    Then again you being a typical "confederate-conservative republican" its your job to hide the truth...good job.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    Then again you being a typical "confederate-conservative republican" its your job to hide the truth...good job.
    Cool, resort to name calling.

I am glad you have finally let me know what party the individuals I have voted for, the proposals and amendments I supported were sponsored by and the parties I have donated to were aligned with. Without your ability to know all of this and your desire to share with me I would have continued to believe that I looked at issues and the stance individuals took on those issues instead of simply putting an X down the line that had a party name at the top.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Arab Co., White House Had Secret Agreement

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/22/D8FUHNM00.html

But Bush didn't know...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Arab Co., White House Had Secret Agreement

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/22/D8FUHNM00.html

But Bush didn't know...
    Something not getting much print is that the sale also includes ports in GB, but strangely enough there is no political uproar over the issue there. I wonder why?

I just read, or at least just realized that

"Critics in Congress, even before Thursday's hearing, had noted that the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., which previously operated at those ports, is a publicly traded company while Dubai Ports World is effectively controlled by the government there. Sens. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and Clinton have said they will introduce legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operations in the United States."

I do have issues with a foreign gov't operating the ports. With this knowledge, I agree that it is a mistake to allow them to proceed. A foreign company I would have not major issues, but this is more like the foreign gov't running port operations. I would support a bill as proposed by Sen Menendez and Sen Clinton.
    Last edited by cardio; 02/23/2006 at 12:58 PM.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    If you didn't agree with six, I suppose you really won't agree to 21.

UAE terminal takeover extends to 21 ports
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    If you didn't agree with six, I suppose you really won't agree to 21.

UAE terminal takeover extends to 21 ports
    There is a Portlant port on the East Coast?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Portland, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    There is a Portlant port on the East Coast?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Main reasons I simply cannot agree that this deal is good for us:

1) Dubai was one of only three organizations worldwide to recognize the taliban.

2) Dubai actually laundered money for terrorists.

3) 2 of the 19 terrorists who were hijackers in 9/11 came from Dubai.

Sorry. I just dont see how people can rest easy and be 100% comfortable with this. AT ALL. I really don't care how the administration legitimizes it, the whole idea just leaves you with a very unsettling feeling. Ok the us coast guard will be doing security checks, but Dubai is still in charge of moving those containers to and fro. Are our security checks 100% foolproof? hmm...

Its not an anti-arab thing, its just a common sense thing. sure, "news flash" we have ships and planes coming in from the middle east all the time, but look, that is just one example where we already have potential areas of concern where threats are possible. WHY ADD MORE to the list?

Hey, nothing personal, UAE, but a large population of people just aren't comfortable with this yet. it leaves too many of us uneasy. so in light on this, let's agree to pass on this deal for now.
    Last edited by vw2002; 02/24/2006 at 06:17 PM.
    I am hoping that the company pulls there desire to run the ports. Bush has done very little to make the ports more secure, The very vast number of containers are not inspected and thye frequently pass thur many countries BEFORE, they make their way to the USA!

Also why should ANY forgien be involved with ANY apsect of our ports???

Also keeping the parent company here in the USA and owned by a USA firm, means more profits for more jobs for Americans.

I also think for security reasons, only Americans should be able to have jobs at any port within the uSA!!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    I am hoping that the company pulls there desire to run the ports. Bush has done very little to make the ports more secure, The very vast number of containers are not inspected and thye frequently pass thur many countries BEFORE, they make their way to the USA!

Also why should ANY forgien be involved with ANY apsect of our ports???

Also keeping the parent company here in the USA and owned by a USA firm, means more profits for more jobs for Americans.

I also think for security reasons, only Americans should be able to have jobs at any port within the uSA!!

Take care, Jay

EXACTLY, JAY!!!
    Well, lets be consistent. I don't know about the rest of the US, but here in Southern Calif., Middle Easterners own most of the gas stations (just going by my gas reciepts, they own all the ones I visit.)

May as well have the Feds come in and seize them, lest we have a giant ticking time bomb on every major intersection.

You know those whacky Arabs, can't trust them...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have a few Persian rugs...do you guys think I should get rid of them? I'd hate to find a sleeper cell of Terrorists woven into them.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You know, the 7-11 by my work is owned by an Arab. Seems like a nice guy, but I'm on to his act. I bet the rat ******* is just waiting for his orders from bin Laden to lace the Slurpee machines with Anthrax.

iT ISN'T THE SAME THING.......ALMOST NONE OF THE CONTAINERS THAT COME IN TO THE PORTS ARE INSPECTED, SO THIS COULD EFFECT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, AS OPPOSED TO YOUR HYPOTHTIC (SP), GAS STATION! TAKE CARE, JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    iT ISN'T THE SAME THING.......ALMOST NONE OF THE CONTAINERS THAT COME IN TO THE PORTS ARE INSPECTED, SO THIS COULD EFFECT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, AS OPPOSED TO YOUR HYPOTHTIC (SP), GAS STATION! TAKE CARE, JAY
    News flash weinerdog, it doesn't matter who owns the ports, they're not being inspected anyways.

Come here to the Port of Long Beach, the one that was sold to the Chinese Military by the Clinton Admin., and see for yourself. However, for some strange reason, the Chinese occupation has yet to happen. I doubt a wave of tanker bombers would be coming here if the UAE company buys it either.

I took care of the foliage plants for many years on cruisie ships. I was in and out of the NY & NJ port aut piers in NY on the west side a few times a week. There is little or no security and I od not think we should look for trouble. In addition, these jobs and the firms that hire should have the funds staying here in the USA!!!!

We also took care of all of the foliage plants at all 3 NY aiorports and I am nto at all surpises by 9/11. My only surprise was why did ti take so long. Security at the airports was stricter than the piers and yet, the code to open the combination look door knobs for th estroage closets where we kept our supplies at the airport terminals also opend all of the doors at the building we were in incluing access to the planes. Thank G-d that was changed after 9/11. However, before 9/11, I had my 4 year ild nephew with me, he was "helping" us work, actually I was working/baby sitting. He had at that time never been on a plane, so I used my code for the utilty closet and lo and behold it also allowed me onto the plane, that was waiting for a crew and passengers.

A year and a half after that happened, but before, 9/11, I had already sold my business. However, I wanted to visit my fireinds who still worked on the QEII. Even though Cunard no longer allowed non passengers on the ships in port. I went to the lower pier, where all of the luggage, freight, cars, (yes the QEII takes cars on as well), food etc. the guard remembered me and let me in, even know I did nto have any of the contract with Cunard, the buyer of my business had the contract at that point. No paperwork was ever required, I used to just walk down tot he lower level, say I was Jay from Growin' Thinsg and I was there to take care of the plants.

In spite of the fact that 9/11 happened. the security is still way too lax. For example after 9/11 I still had a few travel vouchers for a free crusie on a number of the cruise lines that I had as clients.

One such line, which is since out of business, was owned by a Ukrainian firm. The employees, (crew), of the ship, who were not US citizens, by the way. (generally crew refires to non officers, bus boys, waiters, soumaliters, stewarts, etc), on most ships these are non Americans. As opposed to the STAFF who are officers of the ship and are often Americans).

Anyway, the crew were buying guns and rifiles and bringing them onto the ship to bring back home to the Ukrain, when the ship would go back for a retrofit, that fall. I saw this with my own eyes, numeriosu times over a 6 month period of time, on a weekly basis. Eventually, the asst. cruise director figured it out an dcalled the ATF and the ship was raided, about 40 crew members were arrested and eventually departed. the coast guard was called in the ship was tempoarily ceased, the departing cruise was delayied and the coast guard, pulled the ship part looking for and finding dozens of illigal rifles, well over hundred guns, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Much of this was done thru local gun shops who were passed a great deal of money to look the other way. Frankly I was Thrilled to have all of that off of the ship, G-d only knows what could have happend on the ship!

This was all going on after "highten security" by our government.

In the 24 1/2 years I was self employed the stories of lax sec. I saw could make your hair stand on end.

That is why I feel the way I do.

BTW my name is Jay not weinerdog! Take care, jay

PS I as not pelased when Clinton did the same in Long beach. I knew about it from the crusie director of one of Princess' ships just before it happened.
    That's my point, there's no security to begin with. It doesn't matter who the company is. If anything, knowing the bad and unfair press along with the racial stereotyping these guys seem to be getting, people will probably have a closer eye on them should they purchase the contracts.

Of course the UAE did donate 100 million dollars to Katrina relief.

Sounds like someone bent on our distruction to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ...it doesn't matter who owns the ports, they're not being inspected anyways.
    Not being inspected at all or not inspected as much as we would prefer?

Apply that same argument to our southern border...since we don't patrol the whole border, why not just open up San Ysidro?

Just because something is not done as well as we like doesnt mean we should make it any easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Of course the UAE did donate 100 million dollars to Katrina relief.

Sounds like someone bent on our distruction to me...
    The UAE is a large entity, the danger that seems to be of concern is not that the UAE would do anything as a group but rather, terrorists would infiltrate it/and or compromise it in some way.

While I agree that we shouldn't overreact, it isn't something I am quick to dismiss.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    there appears to be this assumption that by opposing this deal, we MUST be saying " the arabs are a comin', the arabs are a comin! lock your doors!!! swab the poopdecks! imprison all middle easterners located here in the US!!" " they're taking us over !!!"
    .... and all that blabber. yawn.

uh, no.

the basic point is that many people believe those who control our ports should be American, simply because, well,..... THEY'RE AMERICAN PORTS!!!

we're not going out on witch hunts for any arab who owns a slick little 7-11 down the street.

This is about selling our ports to Dubai, from which two of the 19 hijackers in 9/11 came . I would think that is at least, well, just a LITTLE disturbing, no? shouldn't that raise legitimate concerns if our ports are to be controlled by them? is it not at all at least a good reason for pause?

does it mean that I want to plan a weekend stakeout on the guy who is selling slick persian rugs downtown because he's arab? umm... no. . this is simply about keeping American interests controlled by Americans. does that mean we're racist? that's pretty funny. no.

....sheltered money for terrorists
    recognized the taliban, produced 2 hijackers.... sorry. my vote is nay.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast