Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    i don't see it as a major problem... But why did congress not know about it earlier? Why is it a big deal for Bush?

If congress is against it an the american people are to, should the president veto a bill prohibiting the sale?

I think the Bush family will profit from this sale big time...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    How about we just not do business with the UAE due to the existence of slavery there?

http://www.antislavery.org/homepage/...ry/gallery.htm
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    How about we just not do business with the UAE due to the existence of slavery there?

http://www.antislavery.org/homepage/...ry/gallery.htm
    Valid point. Better stop doing business with the US because there are illegal imigrants being used here, especially in farm labor. I do not condone either practice but not sure that alienating UAE for this is going to solve the issue.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Valid point. Better stop doing business with the US because there are illegal imigrants being used here, especially in farm labor. I do not condone either practice but not sure that alienating UAE for this is going to solve the issue.
    Just another reason on top of others.

And while I also disagree with our Agriculture industry taking advantage of illegal immigrant labor, it is a bit less severe than slavery and in particular, strapping a 5 year old to the back of a camel for the purposes of betting.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Just another reason on top of others.

And while I also disagree with our Agriculture industry taking advantage of illegal immigrant labor, it is a bit less severe than slavery and in particular, strapping a 5 year old to the back of a camel for the purposes of betting.
    OK, I'll bite, what other reasons?

As it being a bit less severe, where do we draw the line?
    OK, I'll bite, what other reasons?

As it being a bit less severe, where do we draw the line?
    Well, how about we draw the line at slavery.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Well, how about we draw the line at slavery.
    I see in your cite that the issue went to the UN in 2004. Is it still in practice today? Why has the UN not taken care of the issue? The UN is the answer to so many problems I can not understand why this is still going on, I know let's send in some inspectors and give them, oh I don't know, maybe 10 years to determine if this is still taking place.

As I said I do not condone the practice, but I am not convinced that not allowing the sell of the ports from Britian to UAE is the answer.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Now, Im against letting a UAE company running our ports, but if we would follow your recommendation, I guess we couldnt due business with the following countries..

1. Saudi Arabia (appaling record on womans rights)
    2. Egypt (no freedom of press or religion)
    3. Turkey (I believe the sentence for theft is amputation of arms)
    4. Iran (to many to list)
    5. China (no freedom of anything)
    6. Pakistan (stoning of woman who have affairs)
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Now... since I can, I will take a jab at the administration. This could have been handled much better. This should have been brought quietly to the hill before the decision was made public, and the rationale should have been shared. Whether by error or by intent, this is yet another example of the congress and the public being gun-shy of the Bush administration making decisions in the dark and then being baffled when everyone doesn't agree with them.
    I agree that it was handled bad, but I just heard on our local noon news that Bush and Rumsfeld said they were not even aware of this sale until this weekend......which is a concern with the Admin (and or National Security Dept) in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Now, Im against letting a UAE company running our ports, but if we would follow your recommendation, I guess we couldnt due business with the following countries..

1. Saudi Arabia (appaling record on womans rights)
    2. Egypt (no freedom of press or religion)
    3. Turkey (I believe the sentence for theft is amputation of arms)
    4. Iran (to many to list)
    5. China (no freedom of anything)
    6. Pakistan (stoning of woman who have affairs)

Yup. And the world would be a better place. My GF works for a major dept store and her dept. is tasked with keeping track of the factories they buy from and I can assure you that economics is the best "stick" for promoting democracy and human rights around the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree that it was handled bad, but I just heard on our local noon news that Bush and Rumsfeld said they were not even aware of this sale until this weekend......which is a concern with the Admin (and or National Security Dept) in and of itself.

I agree... They just hear about it but are ready to fight for the deal to continue!!!

Something smells fishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I agree... They just hear about it but are ready to fight for the deal to continue!!!

Something smells fishy...
    Bush says what he is told to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

By who? you are starting to surprise me...
    I listen to the comedy channel on Sirius a lot and they play a lot "Right Between the Ears" who are political satire group and are pretty darn funny. You can listen to them here: http://www.rightbetweentheears.org/listen.html They make fun of anyone, dem or rep. They played a skit the other day that I just had to laugh at where John Kerry and his wife (who was a self admitting lunatic) came to visit just Laura and GWB after Bush won the election. They poked fun at both Bush and Kerry pretty hard. One of the lines was:

Mrs Bush: So, George what are you having for lunch today?

GWB: I don't know yet...heh....Carl Rove hasn't told me yet.
    By who? you are starting to surprise me...
    This surprises you? Bush has never had agendas. Not even as gov. He is a tool used by Rove, Cheney, and the neocon panel.

What % of this admin's actions are based on anything Bush has consistently carried a flame for? Privatizing SS is the only thing I've seen.
    This surprises you? Bush has never had agendas. Not even as gov. He is a tool used by Rove, Cheney, and the neocon panel.

What % of this admin's actions are based on anything Bush has consistently carried a flame for? Privatizing SS is the only thing I've seen.

I agree somewhat... Just surprised to hear it from you. I mentioned Bush Jr followed orders from his dad and you disagreed.

I guess I really didn't know your stand...
    I agree somewhat... Just surprised to hear it from you. I mentioned Bush Jr followed orders from his dad and you disagreed.

I don't think he does ask his Father for advice. I also think the people in his administration try to shield him from that too.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Don't feel bad he doesn't know where he stands either. He is a typical democrat as soon as a public opinon poll comes out and the dems support it he will give you his opinon. J/K
    Don't feel bad he doesn't know where he stands either. He is a typical democrat as soon as a public opinon poll comes out and the dems support it he will give you his opinon. J/K
    See above.
    See above.
    I love it...

You rule daThomas!
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast