Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Interesting aspect G. made me think of: if another country has a business interest in another, will they want to see the state brought down by terrorists?
    Saudi Arabia buying significant proportions of the US foreign debts vs. the Saudi majority of the 9/11 terrorists come to mind...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Actually, they can't. Port operations much different than what KBR does.
    I know, just a poke at those who blame them for being a big business and would prefer they go out of business
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Saudi Arabia buying significant proportions of the US foreign debts vs. the Saudi majority of the 9/11 terrorists come to mind...
    Actually, the House of Saud's greatest fear losing US support (hence the buying of US debts). Without it, royal heads will be rolling throughout the Kingdom.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    According to the 9/11 commission report, at least one of the 19 hijackers drew money from bank accounts based in the UAE to help pay for operations. And, according to the report, hijacker Marwan al-Shehhi was from the UAE.

This is NOT a wise decision.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Another thought comes to mind. As long as I have been alive there has always been some looming threat out there in this vicious world. Vietnam, Cuba, Granada, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Iran again. There was a period in the 80s when we were told Japan would be taking over the world. In fact I remember reading a news article regarding the amount of property Japan owns in America and they pointed out that Sweden in fact owns more property than Japan.
    Is the government or the media actually creating these issues? Are we being played; misdirected while the thieves raid the bank?
    Would we or could we even be aware that it was happening if they were.

This is a test for America, will Bush push this through even though nowhere no one wants this. If this passes we the average citizen have no real voice in our own country.
    Me, being in this region, can tell you that I really do not think the UAE has anything to do with terrorisim or anything like that for that matter.
    The UAE is maginficantly leaping in terms of business & tourisim. Nothing but good will come out of this.
    The UAE government gives amazing assistance & support to all businesses that the businesses can operate more competativly.
    Besides, if you expect the world to do business with US companies, expect (and accept) the US to do business with the world. Else it'll be racist, don't you think?
    I'm amazed at how the Demos have taken this issue as a sword to demonstarte how they are capable of defending our national security. Wrong issue, guys. The UAE is the only Arab country to show any degree of concern for our affliction with terrorism, and it is more closely aligned with our business interests as a country than any other as well. It is sooo un-P.C. to lump all Arab nations together. Almost a bit racist, eh?
    But then again, hipocrisy isn't the jealous domain of just the conservatives in this country. Look at Jimmah Carter. Anyone remember the 70s when he ran for governor in georgia as a segregationist and embraced George Wallace as a "patriotic leader of our times"?
    More than half of the ports on the east coast, and something like 70%+ of the ports on the west coast are run by foreign companies.
    The hysteria is amazing. It's not like a bunch of them daggum Ay-rabs are a-comin'.

The employees will be American. Most likely Union goons. You guys act like a wave of guys named Muhammad and Abdul are coming over packing explosives. Wow.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The hysteria is amazing. It's not like a bunch of them daggum Ay-rabs are a-comin'.

The employees will be American. Most likely Union goons. You guys act like a wave of guys named Muhammad and Abdul are coming over packing explosives. Wow.
    If I'm not mistaken, the employees will be not only American, but the same that are there now...
    Unfortunately this whole thing reveals the a deep seeded hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have nothing against the UAE, but I think in these times, our ports (and our biggest security hole) should be staffed and controled by the US.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    I have nothing against the UAE, but I think in these times, our ports (and our biggest security hole) should be staffed and controled by the US.
    You do realize they are controlled by a foreign business now, right?

If they are run by a foreign business, I have no problem with it being UAE, been there, enjoyed the time, was treated very nicely. This is politicing and nothing more
    The US as in Fed. Gov't?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    This just in: hundreds of aircraft CONTROLLED BY FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS land daily in our nations airports.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You do realize they are controlled by a foreign business now, right?

Then I have a problem with that too. Its outsourcing gone mad if you ask me. After watching an ABC reporter smuggle in radiactive material through our ports, maybe we should put them under military control.

Could you imagine the US being put in charge of security at a port in a muslim country. I think there would be outrage.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Then I have a problem with that too. Its outsourcing gone mad if you ask me. After watching an ABC reporter smuggle in radiactive material through our ports, maybe we should put them under military control.

Could you imagine the US being put in charge of security at a port in a muslim country. I think there would be outrage.
    Partner, there are multitudes of foreign owned companies doing business in our country, however most employees are US citizens (probably union at the ports).

I believe the US is in charge of security in a muslim country right now.
    If I'm not mistaken, the employees will be not only American, but the same that are there now...
    Unfortunately this whole thing reveals the a deep seeded hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle.
    See Post #28. Agreed.
    I have yet to officially develop my final opinion....mainly because I just don't know enough yet. Here is what I have been able to filter out:

PROS
    • Ports are already run by foreign companies
    • US Unions will still be involved
    • If there is corruption at the port sending those metal crates, it could be sealed and approved by a corrupt official. When not opened when it arrives and inspected in our ports, the situation would not change....the terrorist got whatever they wanted inside the US.
    • The UAE has been a huge resource in the region for the US (use of bases, assistance in WoT, ect..)

CONS
    • 1 of only 3 govs to officially recognize the Taliban as a legit gov
    • Banking system has be a vital in money transfers for AQ and Taliban
    • Several of the 9/11 hijackers used the UAE as launching place and flew out of there.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
    • Political sticky spot for Bush. The Dem's Achilles Heel is National Security. This gives them a political chance to politicize this to the extreme.
    • Who knows what deals are in the background. In spite of concerns in their history, they have been a supporter of us in the region. For good or ill, who knows if this will also give additional support. Basically in other words, there maybe a lot more going on than we know about.
    • PRPRPR. $Could$ $be$ $played$ $by$ $Bush$ $enemies$ $as$ $he$ $IS$ $weak$ $on$ $National$ $Security$. $Could$ $be$ $shown$ $worldwide$ $that$ $in$ $spite$ $of$ $WoT$, $we$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $work$ $with$ $those$ $who$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $help$.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Boy... I can't tell you how much it pains me to agree with Bush, but:

I don't see any problem with this. This is a contract that's already owned by a foreign government. UAE is a stable ally. If we don't support our allies in the Muslim world, then we're beyond doomed.

Now... since I can, I will take a jab at the administration. This could have been handled much better. This should have been brought quietly to the hill before the decision was made public, and the rationale should have been shared. Whether by error or by intent, this is yet another example of the congress and the public being gun-shy of the Bush administration making decisions in the dark and then being baffled when everyone doesn't agree with them.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast