Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    So if an American company manufactured a Treo they would be willing to make nominal profits? Why? This is why it was outsourced. An investor may start a compan like Edelbrock who makes high quality, low quantity auto parts that have a higher profit margin. Outsourcing is NOT a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I think the diference would not be in retail price but in company profits.

I am a big gearhead and by Edelbrock engine components for my cars. They are MADE in USA... (LA in fact)

You know what is costs to pay a machinist in LA? Even the castings are made in LA and the costs due to all the environmental restrictions are higher that anywhere else.

Still they make high quality products that are very competitive price wise...

Look at what is happening to Palm... The OS is now chinese owed, the hardware is made in Taiwan... and now the manufaturer is making their own phones. won't be too long before Palm goes under or is sold to an overseas company.

Then everyone will be able to own a POS phone...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    What strange bedfellows some people keep.

Bill Clinton, former US president, advised top officials from Dubai two weeks ago on how to address growing US concerns over the acquisition of five US container terminals by DP World.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/60414c4c-a9...0779e2340.html

Looks like Bill and W are thinking along the same lines after all
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    So if an American company manufactured a Treo they would be willing to make nominal profits?
    Of course not. That's why the country is going down the toilet. Company A outsources, Company B follows suit, and next thing you know they're all doing it. The politicians take their marching orders from their big donors (corporations) so they make it easier, rather than harder, for them to do this. So, no, most companies aren't going to *choose* not outsource out of the goodness of their hearts, especially when their competition is doing it. The only way it will happen is if the government puts the brakes on it. Then they'll all be on a level playing field.

Tell me this...do you honestly believe this country can continue being the economic super-power that it currently is if it ceases to actually produce anything tangible? That's the direction this country is headed. And even in terms of service jobs, what will this country have to offer that any other country will be interested in?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    What strange bedfellows some people keep.

Bill Clinton, former US president, advised top officials from Dubai two weeks ago on how to address growing US concerns over the acquisition of five US container terminals by DP World.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/60414c4c-a9...0779e2340.html

Looks like Bill and W are thinking along the same lines after all
    Yup, good mornin'. You've been hooked into the Matrix the past several years believing that the Democrats and Republicans were actually two different parties.
    out of town with my Treo only, but maybe I'll give folks an Economics 101 course. I'll give you doom & gloomers a hint...deficits and outsourcing aren't all bad.
    Yeah, I'm quite familiar with what's being taught in the average "Economics 101" course these days: Outsourcing is good. Common sense is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    out of town with my Treo only, but maybe I'll give folks an Economics 101 course. I'll give you doom & gloomers a hint...deficits and outsourcing aren't all bad.

Have a safe trip... we are going to miss you...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Half the people that have Treos now can't afford them!!! Maybe if it were made in the US it would be of better quality. What you dou think?

Converse made sneakers in the USA up untill around 2000... I don't recall them costing more that Nikes.

The greatest cost added to a pair of Nikes... Advertising. Bo knows advertising (at least he used to...)
    American's should take pride in what they do and manufacture. After all, when New Balance sneakers were made here in the USA they lasted far long and were far more comfortable. They are now made in China and have been so for quite some time.

They do not advertise at all and their prices go up to about $130, which these days is not so high as compared to nikes', etc. however, i would have to have my head examined before i woudl spend $130 for sneakers! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    GOP leaders moving to block ports deal

Interesting that the GOP is taking the lead on this. Anything to win in 2006?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    GOP leaders moving to block ports deal

Not really that interesting or unusual. The democrats talk a lot, but when it comes down to action they sit on their hands. They have learned it is easier to change their political stance when they just talk about something instead of acutally doing something.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    give me a break.....like democrats don't also do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    give me a break.....like democrats don't also do that.
    No, for this particular topic, the Dems have been raising hell about port security since 9-11.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No, for this particular topic, the Dems have been raising hell about port security since 9-11.
    Like my earlier post stated. The democrats talk a lot, but their is no action. Why did they not take the lead after 9-11 or even while they were in leadership? Oh, let me answer for you, the republicans would not let them, they are big mean bullies who stole the pencil I would have used to write the bill and the pen I was going to use to sign on as a sponsor of the bill.
    Not really that interesting or unusual. The democrats talk a lot, but when it comes down to action they sit on their hands. They have learned it is easier to change their political stance when they just talk about something instead of acutally doing something.
    NO. I can't let this falsehood be unchallenged anymore. The Dems are presenting plenty of legislation, the Repubs are the ones voting down security changes thus sitting on their hands:

Democrats Fought to Protect Our Borders From Terrorists. Democrats fought to invest $284 million to help ensure the security of the nation's borders by hiring 550 additional border patrol agents and 200 additional immigration investigators. The 9-11 Commission highlighted that the United States lacked a true border security system, and that illegal entry across our borders was far too easy.

* But Republicans Defeated It On A Party Line Vote. Every single Democrat voted for this bill, but Republicans rejected this proposal on a party line vote, 225 to 201. [HR 1268, Vote #160, 5/5/05; R 2-225; D 198-0; I 1-0]
    Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA) Introduced Port Security Legislation. H.R. 1731 provides Federal Grants to support Area Maritime Transportation Security Plans and to address vulnerabilities in port areas identified in approved vulnerability assessments or by the Secretary of Homeland Security. [HR 1731, 4/20/05]

So quit with the TIRED LINE, Dems don't have any ideas.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    NO. I can't let this falsehood be unchallenged anymore. The Dems are presenting plenty of legislation, the Repubs are the ones voting down security changes thus sitting on their hands:

Democrats Fought to Protect Our Borders From Terrorists. Democrats fought to invest $284 million to help ensure the security of the nation's borders by hiring 550 additional border patrol agents and 200 additional immigration investigators. The 9-11 Commission highlighted that the United States lacked a true border security system, and that illegal entry across our borders was far too easy.

* But Republicans Defeated It On A Party Line Vote. Every single Democrat voted for this bill, but Republicans rejected this proposal on a party line vote, 225 to 201. [HR 1268, Vote #160, 5/5/05; R 2-225; D 198-0; I 1-0]
    Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA) Introduced Port Security Legislation. H.R. 1731 provides Federal Grants to support Area Maritime Transportation Security Plans and to address vulnerabilities in port areas identified in approved vulnerability assessments or by the Secretary of Homeland Security. [HR 1731, 4/20/05]

So quit with the TIRED LINE, Dems don't have any ideas.
    OK, which is it? In your earlier post you complained because the republicans were taking the lead on the port deals to gain election votes, now you found an article that says a democrat introduced the legislation in 05. Stop spinning and hold to a statement for a little while.

Either both did it for votes or neither did.

As far as the bills your cited, what other items were tied to the bills? We all know a bill will get crap added to it for pork project budgeting.
    OK, which is it? In your earlier post you complained because the republicans were taking the lead on the port deals to gain election votes, now you found an article that says a democrat introduced the legislation in 05. Stop spinning and hold to a statement for a little while.

Either both did it for votes or neither did.

As far as the bills your cited, what other items were tied to the bills? We all know a bill will get crap added to it for pork project budgeting.
    Come on Cardio. You know the GOP is only blocking the dubai deal to appeal to the polls which came out after that issue was in the media.

The fact is the Dems have been attempting REAL port security since 9-11. The 9-11 commission pointed to port security as the BIGGEST issue and again the Repubs do nothing.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Come on Cardio. You know the GOP is only blocking the dubai deal to appeal to the polls which came out after that issue was in the media.

The fact is the Dems have been attempting REAL port security since 9-11. The 9-11 commission pointed to port security as the BIGGEST issue and again the Repubs do nothing.
    I agree that the ports need better security. I disagree that the dems are any better than the repubs when it comes to actually doing something about it.
    I agree that the ports need better security. I disagree that the dems are any better than the repubs when it comes to actually doing something about it.
    They could bothe equally well do something about it. My point is who has been trying? The Dems or the Repubs?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They could bothe equally well do something about it. My point is who has been trying? The Dems or the Repubs?
    I don't think anyone has put forth a real effort. I reviewed the HR you cited, and even if passed they did not really do anything except say that federal funds could be used fro a grant.
    I don't think anyone has put forth a real effort. I reviewed the HR you cited, and even if passed they did not really do anything except say that federal funds could be used fro a grant.
    Yea, it's a shame anyone would take a step forward.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast