Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Do we really need to go over this again? You claimed the West invaded Iraq for oil. I asked you to back it up. You posted a few quotes that really had nothing to do with my question. Your first quote talked about the Saudi dominence on world oil prices. You second quote talked about French and Russian profits from Iraqi oil. I'm still waiting for you to back up your original statement.

This has always been your problem daThomas. You make a claim, but when anyone questions you about it, you post some quote from somewhere on the internet that really doesnt put foward your explanation at all. Im still enjoying your monkey quote though. That one was priceless.
    You keep assuming that when I say the U.S. invaded Iraq because of oil that I mean the U.S. invaded to "obtain" that oil. If you could get past that you might gain a better understanding.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You keep assuming that when I say the U.S. invaded Iraq because of oil that I mean the U.S. invaded to "obtain" that oil. If you could get past that you might gain a better understanding.

then what do you mean?

Your arguement must be we went to 'obtain' oil, or to set up a government that would be sympathetic to our oil demands. Neither ofcourse would be true, as any goverment established in Iraq would be a member of opec. Opec isn't giving us a break on anything.
  3.    #103  
    then what do you mean?

Your arguement must be we went to 'obtain' oil, or to set up a government that would be sympathetic to our oil demands. Neither ofcourse would be true, as any goverment established in Iraq would be a member of opec. Opec isn't giving us a break on anything.

What if we wanted to make sure certain other countries didn't get the oil?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    What if we wanted to make sure certain other countries didn't get the oil?

Is that what you really think? How would we go about doing this?
  5.    #105  
    Is that what you really think? How would we go about doing this?
    Gee. I don't know. Remove the regime which is making the oil deals with my economic competitors. Contracts no longer apply.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Gee. I don't know. Remove the regime which is making the oil deals with my economic competitors. Contracts no longer apply.
    Remove OPEC? or are you referring to under the table against UN resolution deals
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Remove OPEC? or are you referring to under the table against UN resolution deals
    I'm talking about contracts with Russia & France set to crank up when the sanctions were removed which was coming up fast.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I'm talking about contracts with Russia & France set to crank up when the sanctions were removed which was coming up fast.

OK, just wondering. When were the sanctions due to end? I thought there was a stipulation that said something along the lines of

Once all resolutions have been adhered to
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    OK, just wondering. When were the sanctions due to end? I thought there was a stipulation that said something along the lines of

Once all resolutions have been adhered to
    The UN was well on it's way to lifting the sanctions due to pressure from France Russio and prolly the whole EU.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The UN was well on it's way to lifting the sanctions due to pressure from France Russio and prolly the whole EU.

I doubt that very highly. Whether or not you argue for or against the war, none can argue that Saddam was still in violation of all the resolutions against him. Those sanctions weren't going anywhere.
  11.    #111  
    I doubt that very highly. Whether or not you argue for or against the war, none can argue that Saddam was still in violation of all the resolutions against him. Those sanctions weren't going anywhere.
    Oil sales/contracts were already occuring under the oil for food program:

January 14, 1998 Iraq begins exporting crude oil under the third phase of the United Nations sponsored "Oil-for-Food" program. First loadings are filling the million barrel tanker White Sea for French oil company Elf Aquitaine. Other companies expected to lift Iraqi crude in January include France's Total, Italy's Agip, Russia's Lukoil, and China's Sinochem. (DJ)

March 22, 1997 Iraqi Oil Minister Amer Rashid announces the establishment of a new Iraq/Russian oil company which will work independently of Iraq's national oil company, and reports that other agreements would be signed with France and China. Russia and France were Iraq's main arms suppliers before the Gulf War. (DJ)
    France and Russia and China (all permanent members of the Security Council and notice the other two permanent members are England and America) were positioned to do business for this oil and the U.S. was not. I think it's evident what the instigating element of this entire fiasco is.
    I'll apologize when the death squads stop. You apologize when the death squads finish.

But they DID STOP THE DEATH SQUADS!!! They arrested all those guys!! They were stopped by AMERICAN troops and the IRAQI gvernment IMPRISONED THEM!! So they HAVE STOPPED!! It was right in the article you supposedly read!!! Now keep YOUR WORD and APOLOGIZE!!!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    But they DID STOP THE DEATH SQUADS!!! They arrested all those guys!! They were stopped by AMERICAN troops and the IRAQI gvernment IMPRISONED THEM!! So they HAVE STOPPED!! It was right in the article you supposedly read!!! Now keep YOUR WORD and APOLOGIZE!!!!
    Gawd you're naive. That's the ONLY 'death squad'?
    Again you miss the point. Under Saddam they would be giving death squads medals. In this regime, they are criminals and are put away. That is why you should apologize instead of our country.

I'm going to nickname you "The Scud" because just like that missile you come nowhere near the mark and just go all over the place on random tangents.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Again you miss the point. Under Saddam they would be giving death squads medals. In this regime, they are criminals and are put away. That is why you should apologize instead of our country.

I'm going to nickname you "The Scud" because just like that missile you come nowhere near the mark and just go all over the place on random tangents.

"The Scud" Perfect!!!

Launch, see where lands, state that was my target.
  16.    #116  

I'd would love for you to be right. I would love for 'jeffersonian democracy' to flourish there and everywhere. What I see happening in Iraq is not that.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'd would love for you to be right. I would love for 'jeffersonian democracy' to flourish there and everywhere. What I see happening in Iraq is not that.

Ok then, what would you suggest then? Pull all the troops and let the country dive into total chaos?

Maybe its not a bad idea at this point. I think in the end, its up to the Iraqis to help themselves.
  18.    #118  
    Ok then, what would you suggest then? Pull all the troops and let the country dive into total chaos?

Maybe its not a bad idea at this point. I think in the end, its up to the Iraqis to help themselves.

Yup, I say get UN troops involved in supporting training the Iraqi police/military and start rotating our people home.
    Yup, I say get UN troops involved in supporting training the Iraqi police/military and start rotating our people home.
    Yeah, those UN troops really did a bang up job down there in Rwanda.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Yeah, those UN troops really did a bang up job down there in Rwanda.
    What % of UN troops are US troops (or at least US funded troops)?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast