Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 141
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I know you would prefer to leave them on the ground another 10 years. After all, they had only been give about 10 years to verify that Saddam had complied with ALL UN mandates. The UN reports were pretty straight forward when they concluded that they could not verify mandates set forth by the UN had been followed, that there were significant amounts of material unaccounted for..... But that has all been explained to you numerous times and you do not seem to be able to comprehend those facts.
    No evidence of WMD, inspectors continuing to look on the ground in the country, a no fly zone over the northern region giving those people basically self rule for a decade, a decaying army.

    Wow! What an imminent threat! Yes please. Let's do invade that country post haste!

    Over 2000 US service people dead and tens of thousands seriously wounded and OVER a TRILLION dollars spent NOT on our own countries needs and where are we? Sitting on a civil war which will do more to disrupt the region than anything else. Brilliant!
  2. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No evidence of WMD, inspectors continuing to look on the ground in the country, a no fly zone over the northern region giving those people basically self rule for a decade, a decaying army.

    Wow! What an imminent threat! Yes please. Let's do invade that country post haste!

    Over 2000 US service people dead and tens of thousands seriously wounded and OVER a TRILLION dollars spent NOT on our own countries needs and where are we? Sitting on a civil war which will do more to disrupt the region than anything else. Brilliant!
    Well, if 10 years is post haste in your eyes OK.
    No evidence that WMDs had been destroyed per UN mandate
    Failure to adhere to No-Fly zones per UN mandate
    Ya know, never mind, your mind is a closed book when it comes to this topic, as you posted before, "you can not teach a blind person to see until they open their eyes" (even though a blind person can not see with open eyes )
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Well, if 10 years is post haste in your eyes OK.
    No evidence that WMDs had been destroyed per UN mandate
    Failure to adhere to No-Fly zones per UN mandate
    Ya know, never mind, your mind is a closed book when it comes to this topic, as you posted before, "you can not teach a blind person to see until they open their eyes" (even though a blind person can not see with open eyes )
    I guess I'm just the type to want to keep the money and spend it here to help people train to transition from their well-paying factory job to Wal Mart greeter on a poverty wage. I'd rather keep the soldiers alive and not wounded for real potential threats. I'd rather not bomb citizens of another country either. Just because you feel like a foreign leader is thumbing his nose at the UN (and we all know how much you love the UN) when the fact of the matter is he was having to comply to some extent and was a toothless tiger by all accts at the time.

    But I can see how you feel your way was the wiser path.



  4. #84  
    Are we helping the US enforce their mandates? are we talking about the same UN, the one the US owes millions of dollars for unpaid dues? Some logic there! we help an organization that first we think is not worth being a part of by not paying dues, and second by going against its will (authorization to use force was never granted by the UN for this most recent war)
    Treoing & Loving it
  5. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #85  
    when the fact of the matter is he was having to comply to some extent and was a toothless tiger by all accts at the time.
    You forgot to add "in my opinion", because this statement is not based on any facts whatsoever. If so, please support your statement by detailing what resolutions he was in partial compliance with.
  6. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Are we helping the US enforce their mandates? are we talking about the same UN, the one the US owes millions of dollars for unpaid dues? Some logic there! we help an organization that first we think is not worth being a part of by not paying dues, and second by going against its will (authorization to use force was never granted by the UN for this most recent war)
    Who are you referring to when you say "helping the US enforce their mandates"? If a typo and you meant UN, it is hard to help a body who will not help themselves. The UN listed the mandates and the very strong lanquage that stated what would happen if Saddam did not comply. When push came to shove, too many countries were making profits by dealing with Saddam under the table (oil for food as one example) for the UN to back up the their statement so they tried to save face. (IMO)
    Paying dues???? Are you serious??? Do a google and see how much the US provides the UN compared to other countries.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    You forgot to add "in my opinion", because this statement is not based on any facts whatsoever. If so, please support your statement by detailing what resolutions he was in partial compliance with.

    I would, however to even follow your reasoning of, they weren't in compliance with UN resolutions would have you utilizing the UN for military action, as opposed to acting alone and in actuality against the wishes of the Security Council.

    So you can stop hiding behind the UN now.
  8. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I would, however to even follow your reasoning of, they weren't in compliance with UN resolutions would have you utilizing the UN for military action, as opposed to acting alone and in actuality against the wishes of the Security Council.

    So you can stop hiding behind the UN now.
    That would have been nice, but the UN failed the world when they did not follow through on the the mandates they set. Please review your source of news and I am sure even the most liberal, Bush bashing source will verify that the US did not act alone. But, it does sound good in your argument.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    ... the UN failed the world ...
    Oh cardio. The drama!


    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Please review your source of news and I am sure even the most liberal, Bush bashing source will verify that the US did not act alone.
    Damn! You're right. I forgot about the Mine Monkeys!

    -- A Moroccan publication accused the government Monday of providing unusual assistance to U.S. troops fighting in Iraq by offering them 2,000 monkeys trained in detonating land mines.

    The weekly al-Usbu' al-Siyassi reported that Morocco offered the U.S. forces a large number of monkeys, some from Morocco's Atlas Mountains and others imported, to use them for detonating land mines planted by the Iraqis.

    The publication quoted a highly-informed source as saying, "that is not a scientific illusion but a well-known military tactic."
    It would be funny if the whole situation wasn't such a tragedy.
  10. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #90  
    Cardio,

    its a losing battle when it comes to daThomas. If you present facts to counter his usual factless comments, he will respond with wierd quotes and pointless banter.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Cardio,

    its a losing battle when it comes to daThomas. If you present facts to counter his usual factless comments, he will respond with wierd quotes and pointless banter.
    TomUps, please google those "weird quotes" from our previous discussion and tell the class what you find.
  12. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #92  
    TomUps, please google those "weird quotes" from our previous discussion and tell the class what you find.

    no thanks. But tell us more about your monkey quote.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Who are you referring to when you say "helping the US enforce their mandates"? If a typo and you meant UN, it is hard to help a body who will not help themselves. The UN listed the mandates and the very strong lanquage that stated what would happen if Saddam did not comply. When push came to shove, too many countries were making profits by dealing with Saddam under the table (oil for food as one example) for the UN to back up the their statement so they tried to save face. (IMO)
    Paying dues???? Are you serious??? Do a google and see how much the US provides the UN compared to other countries.
    You are right it is a typo i meant the UN, and yes the US owes millions of dollars in dues.
    Treoing & Loving it
  14. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    You are right it is a typo i meant the UN, and yes the US owes millions of dollars in dues.
    Do you know how the dues are divided between the member nations, and what % of the funding comes from which nations?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    no thanks. But tell us more about your monkey quote.
    I think it speaks for itself. Morocco was included as part of the "Coalition of the Willing", for monkeys.
  16. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #96  
    I think it speaks for itself. Morocco was included as part of the "Coalition of the Willing", for monkeys


    ok thanks. You proved you point again (that you have no point).
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    ok thanks. You proved you point again (that you have no point).
    Um, ok. I see you miss some things, like the original writer(s) of the quotes you called "weird" from our previous exchange. Lack of knowledge of those writers points out your serious lack of understanding of the history of the current Iraqi quagmire/civil war.
  18. #98  
    The United States is assessed 25 percent of the United Nation's general budget. That's double the assessment of Japan, the next closest underwriter. The U.N. estimates that the U.S. is more than $1 billion in arrears in payments to the U.N.
    Former U.S. chief U.N. delegate Jean Kirkpatrick contends that while our dues are unreasonably high, we should go ahead and pay them -- then work to see that they are adjusted downward.
    Our 25 percent compares to 12.5 percent for Japan and 8.93 percent paid by the United Kingdom.
    The US. is assessed 31.7 percent of the cost of peace-keeping activities, compared to 8.5 percent for Russia, 6.3 percent for the U.K. and 7.6 percent for France.
    The U.S. donates logistical support, weapons, NATO flights, intelligence, ships and manpower to U.S. peacekeeping operations while virtually all other countries are reimbursed for such goods and services.
    The U.S. is also the largest donor to most of the U.N.'s independent agencies, such as UNICEF and the U.N. High Commissioner on Refugees.

    Ms. Kirkpatrick argues that the U.N. should not try to fight wars, but should concentrate on non-military problem solving, traditional peace-keeping and humanitarian assistance.
    Source: Jean J. Kirkpatrick (Georgetown University), "Reform the U.N. -- After Our Bill Is Paid," New York Times, December 27, 1996
    Last edited by gt5l; 02/23/2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Treoing & Loving it
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Former U.S. chief U.N. delegate Jean Kirkpatrick contends that while our dues are unreasonably high, we should go ahead and pay them -- then work to see that they are adjusted downward.
    I think if one compares the % of the world's wealth in the U.S. and the % of the Earth's natural resources consumed by this small % of the overall global population, our UN dues are not "unreasonably high", they're a steal!

    (And yes, I did just start reading this book.)
  20. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #100  
    Um, ok. I see you miss some things, like the original writer(s) of the quotes you called "weird" from our previous exchange. Lack of knowledge of those writers points out your serious lack of understanding of the history of the current Iraqi quagmire/civil war.

    Do we really need to go over this again? You claimed the West invaded Iraq for oil. I asked you to back it up. You posted a few quotes that really had nothing to do with my question. Your first quote talked about the Saudi dominence on world oil prices. You second quote talked about French and Russian profits from Iraqi oil. I'm still waiting for you to back up your original statement.

    This has always been your problem daThomas. You make a claim, but when anyone questions you about it, you post some quote from somewhere on the internet that really doesnt put foward your explanation at all. Im still enjoying your monkey quote though. That one was priceless.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions