Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    what is TC's policy on avatars that are extremely offensive?
    Treoing & Loving it
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    What do you find offensive? Offensive is a very subjective term ya know?
    Your Avatar is Offending Me
    Make it Stop
    This Smiley is also Offensive
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/13/2006 at 11:43 PM.
    Just call me Berd.

could this have something to do with this thread?

Who's gonna burn the first Treo?
    Last edited by Franko515; 02/13/2006 at 10:16 PM.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    What is offensive is just a line drawn 'somewhere'. It is an interesting question though ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm sorry. Was it the skidmark? I meant no disrespect to any smiley faces either living or dead.
    On behalf of smiley faces everywhere: How rude!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I don't know what the policy is. But ones that spew some type of hatred against people of any group would be considered offensive, I would think. Also certain symbols. Seriously graphic and gross also. Fortunately, no one has posted anything stupid like that yet. Although didn't someone used to post a link to a graphic toilet site? Now that might make some people unhappy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I don't know what the policy is. But ones that spew some type of hatred against people of any group would be considered offensive,I would think. Also certain symbols. Seriously graphic and gross also. Fortunately, no one has posted anything stupid like that yet. Although didn't someone used to post a link to a graphic toilet site? Now that might make some people unhappy.
    I like this definition, although offensive is subjective when a large group agrees on something being offensive then it just is.
    The avatar Franko pointed is an example of one that inspires hatred and displays disrespect, similar to a swastika or a KKK symbol would.
    Treoing & Loving it
    A depiction of a historical figure seems far removed from a representation of ethnic cleansing. If we use the argument that worshipping false idols and representations of such are to be banned, other religious groups (those that found all symbols as representations of false idols) on this site could easily request the removal of depictions of American flags and other symbols. Perhaps the avatar in question would be removed/modified if someone who found it offensive simply indicated that they found it so.....
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Go Insertion! Avoid PC thought at all costs!!
    This is what offends me:

I dont support religiously motivated terrorism. I do support people fighting for their home-land whichever way they can. If this means blowing up busses and restaurants to make Israel less palatable for the Jewish immigrants, so be it. If they did not want a fight they should not have stolen the land. If it means slitting some-one's throat on TV to make foreign contractors think twice before entering Iraq and providing logistical support to American troops and their collaborators, so be it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=901

(there's more of that in the thread, but that sums up his theme in one lovely little post.)

And heberman, your cannibalistic avatar offends me.

(and the avatar will be removed later, unless a Mod does it first.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is what offends me:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=901

(there's more of that in the thread, but that sums up his theme in one lovely little post.)
    Why does it offend you so? Sure blowing up innocents is/are never good. I think the US refers to it as 'collateral damage', or is it OK only when we(the United States) does it? These people have been fighting to get there homeland back! Israel is a UN mandated state, which in fact, sits right on top of............................Palestine!! Sure they should try and work their differences out a little more peacefully. But these are desperate people, that do desperate things. Back before the American revolution we could have easily been labeled terrorists, in fact we were also called insurgents. My belief is they should split Israel in half, giving the south to the Palestinians, and the north to the Zionists. Leaving Jerusalem in the middle to be governed by the UN. I bet that would go a long way to cure some of the ills of that area.
    Last edited by NRG; 02/14/2006 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Why does it offend you so? Sure blowing up innocents is/are never good. I think the US refers to it as 'collateral damage', or is it OK only when we(the United States) do it? These people have been fighting to get there homeland back! Israel is a UN mandated state, which in fact, sits right on top of............................Palestine!! Sure they should try and work their differences out a little more peacefully. But these are desperate people, that do desperate things. Back before the American revolution we could have easily been labeled terrorists, in fact we were also called insurgents. My belief is they should split Israel in half, giving the south to the Palestinians, and the north to the Zionists. Leaving Jerusalem in the middle to be governed by the UN. I bet that would go a long way to cure some of the ills of that area.
    Collateral Damage is tragic, but they're NOT the target. What does a little kid who probably has no idea what Hamas is, and is just eating a piece of pizza, or is in its stroller sleeping doing that deserves to get blown up? He is not collateratal damage, but a target.

It's sad that you would support this, but I'm no longer surprised.

(and if you want to continue this topic, please do so in the other thread, but I'm so disgusted by Sururs anti-Semitism, that I'm no longer participating.)

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Sure blowing up innocents is/are never good. I think the US refers to it as 'collateral damage', or is it OK only when we(the United States) do it?
    Blowing up civilians is never good. Blowing up civilians deliberately to achieve a political goal is evil.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Collateral Damage is tragic, but they're NOT the target. What does a little kid who probably has no idea what Hamas is, and is just eating a piece of pizza, or is in its stroller sleeping doing that deserves to get blown up? He is not collateratal damage, but a target.

It's sad that you would support this, but I'm no longer surprised.

(and if you want to continue this topic, please do so in the other thread, but I'm so disgusted by Sururs anti-Semitism, that I'm no longer participating.)
    I do not support it (violence), I support the fact of them trying to get their homeland back. Sure a kid eating pizza has no choice in the matter, but I guess they would view it as collateral damage? Who are they to attack if not the settlers themselves? I would favor a more peaceful means. I don't support violence in any fashion. Just a question, why if someone does not support an Israeli state, are they anti-semetic? It is kinda like saying since you don't support Bush, you are un-american, it doesn't fit.
    Our policy is to remove offensive avatars with mods making the decision as to what is offensive (although it's inline with what any reasonable person would see as such). In my experience, people are more than willing to comply if asked nicely.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Blowing up civilians is never good. Blowing up civilians deliberately to achieve a political goal is evil.
    Almost all wars are political. Just saying.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Just wondering, what was the 'offensive' avatar?
    Just wondering, what was the 'offensive' avatar?
    Yours of course! Come on, hockey in Florida?? WTF???

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast