1.    #1  
    US is winning, economically.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11298986/site/newsweek/

-----------
    "Its per capita GDP is 25 percent lower than that of the U.S. and, most important, that gap has been widening for 15 years. If present trends continue, the chief economist at the OECD argues, in 20 years the average U.S. citizen will be twice as rich as the average Frenchman or German."
    "Whenever some politician makes tiny, halting efforts at reform, strikes and protests paralyze the country."
    "Talk to top-level scientists and educators about the future of scientific research, and they will rarely even mention Europe."
    "The CEO of a large pharmaceutical company told me that in 10 years, the three most important countries for his industry would be the United States, China and India."
    "In 25 years, the number of working-age Europeans will decline by 7 percent, while those over 65 will increase by 50 percent." .."Modest efforts to allow people to retire later have been met with the usual avalanche of protests. And while economists and the European Commission keep proposing that Europe take in more immigrants to expand its labor force, it won't."
    "It also means that America's superpower status will linger. Think of the dollar. For years people have argued that it is due for a massive drop as countries around the world diversify their savings. But as people looked at the alternatives, they decided that the chief rivals, the euro and the yen, represented economies that were structurally weak. So they have reluctantly stuck with the dollar."
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Gotta love the 32 hour work week!
  3.    #3  
    Hours are not everything. In India, people work 44 hrs (1/2 day on Sat) but produce less than US. They have lots more (than the 10 days in US) holidays, though.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hours aren't everything, but the Aubry laws and others like them are indicative of labor union-friendly philosophies that aren't conducive to economic growth. There's obviously a point at which working too many hours becomes counter-productive. But I have to believe that a country that's reduced its work week by 23% below the average is going to lose some economic standing in the world:

Where oh where is Clulup? This is sure to trigger his IBS.

Get ready for a wave of Googlemania
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I love it.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Mother Europe is proud of her grown-up son's achievements.
    Don't pay for PC games that don't have a quicksave option. If developers can't be bothered, why should you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem
    Mother Europe is proud of her grown-up son's achievements.
    Actually, it's Father Europe. We've been bailing his drunken, whoring a$$ out of detox for decades. During the past 10 years it looked like he might have turned his life around, but the scoliosis appears to be catching up with him, the poor old bugger.

Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Hours aren't everything, but the Aubry laws and others like them are indicative of labor union-friendly philosophies that aren't conducive to economic growth.
    Agree 100%. A large proportion of workers in India (back when I was there, 20 yrs ago.. things have changed some since then thanks to privatization and competition) are Govt. or union workers. The inefficiency of those workers is phenomenal!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Zakaria is a great columnist over at newsweek. He always has interesting sensible takes and it's nice to see an influential desi columnist in the American media!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions