Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio

Again, our intelligence agencies seem to have provided enough inforamtion to prevent further attacks on our soil.
    Is this the same intelligence that said Iraq had WMD??? It maybe racial profiling, but what does it take; another 9/11???
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    Is this the same intelligence that said Iraq had WMD??? It maybe racial profiling, but what does it take; another 9/11???
    Yes it is, as did the majority of the world. They used info from the UN inspectors who reported that they could not verify the WMDs had been destroyed. Why is this so hard for individuals to grasp.

I would prefer the operations be run by US companies, but if not US which countries should we say are approved and which countries not allowed?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    There are many problems with selling the ports, and it seems there are more everyday.

1) The sale is to another country, not just another company that is from another country.

2) The deal was made in secret.

3) No requirement to hold all business documents in the USA. The US could request shipping info and not get it... and it can be destroyed at any time..

4) Bush is backing it up, threatening a veto, and he just foound out about the deal?

This deal is starting to smell more and more....
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    1) The sale is to another country, not just another company that is from another country. Do you have a problem that it is an Arab country?

2) The deal was made in secret. Not sure if on-going negotiations have to be made public.

3) No requirement to hold all business documents in the USA. The US could request shipping info and not get it... and it can be destroyed at any time. Is this illegal? Was the current owner (British Company) allowed to do the same?

4) Bush is backing it up, threatening a veto, and he just foound out about the deal? Well Bush is the president, it's his option to veto. The protocol was to go up the chain to certain levels dependent on any seen potential problems. There were none so it didn't go all the way up the ladder.

I think what we are seeing here are pure arab racists.
    No... It's called securing our ports and keeping our nation safe. Wasn't that how Mr. Bush won his re-election. Keep in mind that a tanker carries allot more gasoline then a plane.
    I also want to include that I have many Persian friends and they are no where near being a terrorist. I don't ahve any problems with them. I can say that they are the nicest people. But again they have been westernized.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No... It's called securing our ports and keeping our nation safe. Wasn't that how Mr. Bush won his re-election. Keep in mind that a tanker carries allot more gasoline then a plane.
    OK, I am fine with that, do not let any foreign company operate the ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You would know....

I have a problem with any county owning our ports. Had this deal happened 6 years ago and Clinton was selling to China, How would you feel?

I would feel the same way.

P.S. and I don't see Islam the same way you do....
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    You would know....
    Should I answer "I know you are, but what am I?" What grade are you in?

I have a problem with any county owning our ports. Had this deal happened 6 years ago and Clinton was selling to China, How would you feel?
    Well I think you need to learn the facts. Rephrase your question, because a foreign country is operating it now.[/QUOTE]

You're right here. Your comments are borderline racist.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You would know....

I would feel the same way.

I posted in the other thread

Critics in Congress, even before Thursday's hearing, had noted that the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., which previously operated at those ports, is a publicly traded company while Dubai Ports World is effectively controlled by the government there. Sens. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and Clinton have said they will introduce legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operations in the United States.

I did not realize the gov't controlled Dubai Ports World. With this knowledge I do not agree with them running the ports (not owning as you state) here in the states.

Ah, the Republican talking point for the day, "This is a Dem initiative and the Dems are being racist".

We'll see if that sticks given it's a bipartisan initiative.
    I also want to include that I have many Persian friends and they are no where near being a terrorist. I don't ahve any problems with them. I can say that they are the nicest people. But again they have been westernized.
    Don't even respond to that racist comment crap. Particularly with the "I have friends..." reply.
    2) The deal was made in secret.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines

The conditions over the sale were detailed in U.S. documents marked ``confidential.'' Such records are regularly guarded as trade secrets, and it is highly unusual for them to be made public.
    I'm back!
    I posted in the other thread

Critics in Congress, even before Thursday's hearing, had noted that the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., which previously operated at those ports, is a publicly traded company while Dubai Ports World is effectively controlled by the government there. Sens. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and Clinton have said they will introduce legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operations in the United States.

I did not realize the gov't controlled Dubai Ports World. With this knowledge I do not agree with them running the ports (not owning as you state) here in the states.

So, you go the facts now? nice...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    So, you go the facts now? nice...
    More of them anyway. I know it is a novel concept on this board, but keeping up with current information and the ability to change ones opinon is nice.
    More of them anyway. I know it is a novel concept on this board, but keeping up with current information and the ability to change ones opinon is nice.

Pretty much common knowledge since day one that the company was not only from UAE, but that it belonged to the state.

Regardless, a sale like this deserved being scrutinized and not just supported blindly.

But I like he fact that you see what I see and that you do have an open mind... that is not always the case.
    I actually am seeing both sides of the uneven aisle being racist, as well as many TC posters.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Ah, the Republican talking point for the day, "This is a Dem initiative and the Dems are being racist".

We'll see if that sticks given it's a bipartisan initiative.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Pretty much common knowledge since day one that the company was not only from UAE, but that it belonged to the state.

Regardless, a sale like this deserved being scrutinized and not just supported blindly.

But I like he fact that you see what I see and that you do have an open mind... that is not always the case.
    Really, hmmm, I missed that part, the first I saw of it was from the 20th, just 3 days ago.
    I actually am seeing both sides of the uneven aisle being racist, as well as many TC posters.

What does being racist mean to you? I think perhaps we might not be on the same page.

How does it compare to Prejudice?

do you think that the link on your signature might be spreading some hatred towards islam and arabs?

I don't know the objective of the site or having the link as a signature, but it might not be getting the desired results.

(yes I know that not all arabs are islamic and that not all islamics are terrorists)
    What does being racist mean to you? I think perhaps we might not be on the same page.

How does it compare to Prejudice?

do you think that the link on your signature might be spreading some hatred towards islam and arabs?

I don't know the objective of the site or having the link as a signature, but it might not be getting the desired results.

(yes I know that not all arabs are islamic and that not all islamics are terrorists)
    Keep repeating the talking point. Racist ... racist ... racist.

nonobeez, you really should ignore the racist comment. It's an attempt to diffuse the reasonable questioning of this port management deal.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast