Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm excited about the winter olympics. My favorite is short track speed skating. A couple of quick thoughts:

1. The Mongolian hats in the opening ceremony were cool;

2. What's with American disco music being played during the Olympics in Torino, Italy? Couldn't they pick something related to Italy?

3. I hope the Iranians and Israelis don't have their rooms next to each other.

4. I'm going to move to to the US Virgin Islands so I can try to beat that 52-year old female in the luge. If she can do it, so can I!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    insightful thougts!
    I always enjoy watching the Olympics. We were are the Salt Lake Olympics and had more fun around the village than at the actual events!

I must say I thought the Salt Lake opening ceremony was much better then Torino's.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I just hope things go off without a hitch (safety wise) and the U.S. win all the gold medals ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I really dislike the Olympics. I like the idea: the world's best athletes competing for the glory of competing. But I hate what it has become: a jingoistic commercialthon designed to prove which country is better than the rest while convincing me I need to buy that new car.
    Since I've only been able to watch female hockey so far...I only have one opinion...the Canadian women's hockey team is badass!
    I don't watch winter "olympics" (there was no snow in Greece .. Why the heck is this called "Olympics"?)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I haven't watched any of the Olympics yet and probably won't even bother trying...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yawn. Ten minutes of sports, thirty minutes of commercials and inane commentary.
    Gasmeister's got that right. The only worthwhile way to watch the Olympics to via Tivo. 60x Fast Forward through all the garbage.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I really dislike the Olympics. I like the idea: the world's best athletes competing for the glory of competing. But I hate what it has become: a jingoistic commercialthon designed to prove which country is better than the rest while convincing me I need to buy that new car.
    If you can get past the commercialization and look at the participates, perhaps you'll enjoy them more. For example, I watched the men's downhill and he winner was a French skier who pulled the best run of his life out to win the gold - imagine how it must feel to have the best run of your life in the Olympics!
    Well America is in second place for total medals (with 6 now compared to Norway's 8) but we have the most golds! (4 gold medals with the next best being 2)
    The olympics shouldn't be about which country has more medals.
    The olympics shouldn't be about which country has more medals.
    Isn't that the point of handing out medals
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Isn't that the point of handing out medals
    No, it is to reward and recognize individual / team accomplishment. I hate how countries get into this medal war thing thinking it reflects on the nation as a whole. Makes me kind of sick, actually.
    No, it is to reward and recognize individual / team accomplishment. I hate how countries get into this medal war thing thinking it reflects on the nation as a whole. Makes me kind of sick, actually.
    Do you have the same issue as it relates to the individual winning a medal because of their performance or is it just the "we're better than you" team thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Do you have the same issue as it relates to the individual winning a medal because of their performance or is it just the "we're better than you" team thing?
    I don't. I think the individual (or team) performance can be recognized without being forced into a "we're better than you" situation. The reason is that it is the whole olympic committee recognizing a very small group or an individual, and there are so many events that it is hard to read into it any sort of recognition of generalized superiority. However, because there are relatively few countries and the top half dozen or so claim the vast majority of medals, it invariably becomes a contest to see who's best. It is then less an action of the olympic body granting a medal as a country claiming it.
  19.    #19  
    I think the medals race between the countries may be left over from the cold war era - The US vs. USSR. It's the whole sputnick vs. moon landing competition. (which would win - free market vs. communism)

But regardless of all of that, I'm not bothered by it at all. I see it as a friendly competition with interesting sports. I LOVE watching short track speed skating and some other weird events. To me, it is more important to watch great performances by any athlete than just hoping the U.S. guy will win.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Hehehe, don't even get me started on when the Olympics are hijacked for propaganda purposes (Hitler, US, USSR, they all do it).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast