Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    No, it is to reward and recognize individual / team accomplishment. I hate how countries get into this medal war thing thinking it reflects on the nation as a whole. Makes me kind of sick, actually.
    It's simple pride...if this bothers you, you really need to calm down and relax. If I can't be proud of my country for doing better than other countries...then what do I have the right to be proud of? I guess I don't have the right to be proud of NC State for making it to the NCAA basketball tourney...I mean it's just a team's accomplishment. And Texas Longhorns don't have the right to be proud of their football team winning the national trophy...or the steelers getting "one for the thumb". It's my country and I'm proud my country is always in the top echelon of the olympics.

And if it was only recognizing an INDIVIDUAL's accomplishment...then why do they play the winner's national anthem when they award the gold?! It IS for the country.
    Classical political correctness- we shouldn't award one party's excellence because it might undermine the confidence of the losers. Competition- and the spoils of victory- are as primal an urge as the quest for food and water. When we succumb to the urge to make everyone equal and stopacknowledging innate superiority of certain sub-types of the population, we wil have bared our jugular veins for the final slaughter of the civilization/species.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    It's simple pride...if this bothers you, you really need to calm down and relax. If I can't be proud of my country for doing better than other countries...then what do I have the right to be proud of? I guess I don't have the right to be proud of NC State for making it to the NCAA basketball tourney...I mean it's just a team's accomplishment. And Texas Longhorns don't have the right to be proud of their football team winning the national trophy...or the steelers getting "one for the thumb". It's my country and I'm proud my country is always in the top echelon of the olympics.

And if it was only recognizing an INDIVIDUAL's accomplishment...then why do they play the winner's national anthem when they award the gold?! It IS for the country.
    The thing is that the Olympics aren't about country competition. They're about individual competition. The NCAA tourny is about school competition, and always has been. The Olympics have been hijacked for the worse, that's all. I have no problem with pride, only with misplaced pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Classical political correctness- we shouldn't award one party's excellence because it might undermine the confidence of the losers. Competition- and the spoils of victory- are as primal an urge as the quest for food and water. When we succumb to the urge to make everyone equal and stopacknowledging innate superiority of certain sub-types of the population, we wil have bared our jugular veins for the final slaughter of the civilization/species.
    That is not what I'm saying. The Olympics are designed to recognize the greatest athletes in the world, and we should all credit those winning gold, but recognize the individual for their achievement, not the country. I am almost pushing for a less politically correct version: recognizing the superiority of an individual (in sport).
    The thing is that the Olympics aren't about country competition. They're about individual competition.
    I disagree...

I don't think it's misplaced pride. It is a sense of pride for each country participating. And the better they do, the more pride you should feel. If it was only for the individual, I still say they shouldn't play their national anthem...it would be more like the NBA or MLB where when players get introduced, they get to pick their own theme song.

So instead of the American Anthem being played when a gold is awarded...you'd hear Ozzy's "Crazy Train". That would be individualistic...this is an area for country pride.
    The Olympics are designed to recognize the greatest athletes in the world, and we should all credit those winning gold, but recognize the individual for their achievement, not the country. I am almost pushing for a less politically correct version: recognizing the superiority of an individual (in sport).
    I would think that many individual athletes would not even be able to train (especially year round), travel and compete if they didn't have funding from their individual country and/or private businesses wanting to advertise.

I can understand the view that it tends to become more of a country versus country competition (Im not saying its not) just that I don't see what the problem is with that view. How many Olympic athletes compete without a country to represent? (I don't even think that is allowed.) Often times when people win and are interviewed, they often say something to the effect of "I won the gold for _____ (insert country)" National pride is strong (especially given the fact that countries compete on almost everything).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I'll watch it if American Idol is not on.
    One of the common comments you hear from the athletes is how proud they are to represent their country. So, while the individual stories are what make it interesting for me, I find it difficult to seperate the country from the individual...
    Go Canada Go!

And for your enjoyment, a pleasant memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Go Canada Go!

And for your enjoyment, a pleasant memory...
    If I were a betting man, I'd say with Gretzky at the controls, odds are Canada has a good chance!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If I were a betting man, I'd say with Gretzky at the controls, odds are Canada has a good chance!
    Insertion....your new avatar offends me!

[sorry, I know there's another thread...but I just noticed your new avatar first in this one...so hence the response]
    Last edited by RicoM; 02/15/2006 at 05:47 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12