Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was looking at maybe getting an Apple 30 or 60GB iPod for music and video, but I have heard of other brands that may even be equal or better. Like Archos, Creative Zen or Cowon.

Who owns something besides the iPod? And how is it?

I'm looking at getting this, it's iPod-like.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen...-31632696.html

Archos has a really good one, but it is sort of big.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_AV500...-31517717.html

No Treo comments please. As much as I like it, it will not have 30 GB available any time soon. Or any other smart device, for that matter.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/10/2006 at 05:02 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Current owner of 30 gb x5 cowon .
    Sweet ,small.
    Plays all audio formats including eggorbis, FLAC, besides others. Audiophile quality sound.
    Built in FM radio,voic recorder ,text reader.
    Most important .Works like an external harddrive in your computer. Drag & drop interface.
    If size is not a big deal and video 's primary consideration,
    check out cowon A2, better screen easy download , great sound .

Creative zen M has the advantage of a larger beautiful screen .
    The sound quality of the zen is almost similar to cowon.
    Bulkier and you will have to use software to transfer songs & video.
    Creative zen is brighter , and much better colors compared with video ipod.

These two are great option besides, ipod and definitely better than ipod in terms of sound quality.

Wait for 6 months apple is coming out with a larger screen video ipod with touch screen interface .
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 02/10/2006 at 04:39 PM.
    I like the Cowon, kind of pricy but it does a lot. I do wish it would play Real Audio files.
  4.    #4  
    The Cowon 2 looks like the Archos, kind of big. I'm going for iPod type. Although what size are they really, Treo size? That would be OK.

What type of software do you use to load Creative Zen?

What do you think about these BTW?

http://onlinestore.jetaudio.com/inde...TS&Category=78

http://onlinestore.jetaudio.com/inde...TS&Category=60

iPod gets so much press, I didn't even know about these!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Cowon A2 is little bigger for your taste .
    Creative zen and Cowon A2 are treo size.
    Creative uses windows media player and creative software .
    Link 1 is a hard drive based flash player great for jogging and gym ,size limit to 2 gb .
    Link 2 is iaudio A2 20 & 30 gb, the best sound amongst MP3 players, great device , screen is small ,not really geared for video viewing.
    If you are thinking of watching even 25% video , consider creative zen (comes in 30 GB).
    I personally hate the idea of staring at such a small screen to
    enjoy a movie or video shows.
    Therefore , i have a separate device for audio ( Cowon x5 30 GB). I am waiting for the next video ipod to see, if that can do the audio & video ( 3.5 inch screen is about the minimum ) to my satisfaction in one device .
    you might want to wait.. There is supposed to be a new ipod video coming out http://tunjiafonja.typepad.com/tunji...d_new_ipo.html
    i used to hav a zen micro. it was really good and worked great and i really liked having the radio. Then i dropped it onto cement and thats the end of that. I would deffinitly recomend a zen micro if your looking for players in the 5gb range.
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
  8.    #8  
    Hey all, thanks for the info!! Creative Zen could be it then. But I still like the Cowon, even with the small screen. It accepts Mac users also. We'll see.

When's the new iPod supposed to be out, though? This summer?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/12/2006 at 03:58 AM.

If size matters... (heh)

I carry a 512k MuVo from Creative as a memory stick/MP3 player. While I mainly use the Treo and Ptunes these days, the MuVo has been with me for many a year and goes with me into some spots that I wouldn't carry the treo, like when I dive.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    you might want to wait.. There is supposed to be a new ipod video coming out http://tunjiafonja.typepad.com/tunji...d_new_ipo.html
    is that your blog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Hey all, thanks for the info!! Creative Zen could be it then. But I still like the Cowon, even with the small screen. It accepts Mac users also. We'll see.

When's the new iPod supposed to be out, though? This summer?
    rumor is april
    Got a Lexar LDP 600

rechargeable battery - 15hrs of charge (charges well in 30 minutes)
    512 mb of internal memory
    has a sd card slot - i use a 1gb san disk card with it.
    FM receiver
    FM transmiter
    works as a voice recorder
    very happy with it
  13.    #13  
    Anybody ever use anything from Archos? This looks good for the gym. Or just walking outside, without carrying the more expensive video player. Although I do like that too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I know it only plays music, but I'm not sure I want to take a video player to the gym.

You should ask yourself firt, how much capacity do I need? Do I want to have a couple of hundred of songs and have to shuffle them around when you're tired of them, or do I essentially want my entire music collection available at all times with the flexibility to listen to any or all of it all the time? Of course, the flexibility of the latter comes at the expense of size. The 500 Mb to 5 GB models are cute, portable and durable, but I opted for a 40 GB Creative Zen Xtra, and I love it.

Although it's somewhat larger than its comparable ipod, the sound quality is better and I can buy, borrow or steal music in any format and it will sync with the Zen. Not so with the ipod. I clip it to my belt while working out, and I've never had it skip or stutter. Another advantage of a large capacity harddrive is that it can connect to an auxiliary input on your home stereo system and you can essentially have a jukebox of all your music.

Now, the disadvantages of Creative include its horrifically buggy software. Many others have said the same, and I eventually uninstalled it entirely from my system. I solved that by ditching it in favor of Red Chair's Notmad Zen explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/), and I love the ease of creating playlists and transferring them to the Zen.

Good luck with your shopping. Most importantly (at least to this audiophile) is to get a quality set of headphones and audition the sound quality of whatever player you buy. You will be surprised at the difference, especially in terms of low frequency bass reproduction. Don't be a lemming and jump off the ipod cliff- there are much better players out there.
    As much as I like the underdog, I keep clicking on the links you are providing for an ipod replacement and they don't measure up. They all look larger and fragile. ipod + itunes is seamless. I have a shuffle for working out and it is terrific. No screen, but I'm not worried about that while exercising. I also don't think you need large capacity. The shuffle is a great secondary player in conjunction with a full sized ipod or the nano.

Anybody ever use anything from Archos? This looks good for the gym. Or just walking outside, without carrying the more expensive video player. Although I do like that too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I know it only plays music, but I'm not sure I want to take a video player to the gym.
  16.    #16  
    I'm leaning toward the Cowon iAudio X5L, regardless. That was the purpose of this thread, to think outside of the iPod box.

I'm sure it will work out, post back and let us know. I don't like being tied down to the ipod in the event I change in the future, I am going to have to convert thousand of songs to mp3 format.

I'm leaning toward the Cowon iAudio X5L, regardless. That was the purpose of this thread, to think outside of the iPod box.
  18.    #18  
    I got this for the gym and for when I don't really want to carry an expensive video player. What do you all think, did I screw up? iRiver seems to get decent reviews on CNET though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_T10_1...?tag=pdtl-list

No other alternative but Cowon seems to support Mac though. No Intel Mac for me it seems until I get a Cowon. I was so tempted to get the Nano, but the iRiver is more subscriptions and multi-format friendly.

19.    #19  
    I like it so far! Good alternative to the Shuffle(and maybe even the 1GB Nano) if you get it on sale like I did, due to the cool color screen, FM Tuner and subscription compatibility. They need to put out higher storage though. Everything they have is 512 and 1GB. 2GB would have really been cool!

Can anyone recommend a good pair of earphones, though? I really don't like the included ones.

I'll be getting the small Cowon video player next.

The Rio Carbon is pretty awesome...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast