Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A friend is trying to convince me to head the "sales force" for a new company he is starting. I DO think it is a GREAT concept but I would like some feedback and opinions from my friends here (I hang out on the Treo 600 board (jea)).

I'll keep it short. It is a subscription based company where the subscribers pay $19 per month. For that $19 a month they have access to a 1 800 number they can call from their cell phone any time 24/7. On the other end of that 800 # is an operator sitting in front of a computer with a "high-speed" internet connection. The subscriber can ask any question they like and the operator will use the internet to quickly research and answer their question.

Obviously, with the plethora of information on the web the possibilities for a service like this is endless.

"Youre lost"...the operator pulls up a map finds the intersection you are at and guides you to where you need to be. On the road and the weather looks "not good"...call the number and get a real-time weather update. Who sings that song you just heard on the radio? The operator knows! Etc.

Again the possible questions asked and answered here would be unlimited. The service could obviously be used for business and/or entertainment.

Would you guys use a service like this? Would you pay 19$ a month for it? Though I figure I would use it as well as pay that for itI am trying to figure out if I would be "jumping" into something that is a hard sell.

Any input posted here or sent to me via my email below would be GREATLY APPRECEIATED!!

Thanks again!!
    JEA
    AREG@Bellsouth.net
    Too much $ for my taste. I might as well get Onstar for my car. I rarely feel like talking to a human (stranger) to get information or get me out of a fix.

I don't envision myself using this much even if I got a gift subscription to it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    It's been done before.
  4.    #4  
    What company did it before? Do they still do it?

Thanks for the input, guys!
    Sounds like the SMS service through AOL, Google which is free except for SMS charges ($0.02/incoming message depending on your service).
    Waste of money if you ask me...well, come to think of it, you did ask.

Especially for people here, when our devices are connected anyways. Between Blazer, DA, SMS services like Google, and just calling someone I already know, seems you're asking the wrong crowd.

Still, even without Treos and other devices, 20 bucks a month is waaayyyyy too much. You'd have better luck on a per call basis, and probably not more than $.99/per.

But even then, unless the call goes something like:

"Hello?"
    "Hey..."
    "How can I help you..."
    "What are you wearing right now?? <pant>"
    "Mmmmm. I've got on my spiked heels...my thigh-highs that glide over my smooth, long legs..."
    "Oh yeah, baby...what else?? <whack, whack whack...>

It still might not go over well. Just my opinion, but you did ask..
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It's such a bad idea I doubt the poster is serious.
  8.    #8  
    I AM serious. Why is it such a bad idea?
    Nobody would pay $20 bucks/mo for it. Maybe 10 years ago and maybe on a per call basis but I just don't see it happening now.
    With anything it is a matter of value vs service. With all the options of Internet connectivity today....even on basic cell phones, it would be a very hard sell at $19.99.

Now if you had a price point of $4.99 or less a month and creatively threw in a a unique spin of use to add value to your service, you might have a chance. Maybe target non tech savvy people who has to look up what the word internet means in the dictionary.

I use to be an International Affiliate Director and specialized in getting other companies and nonprofit orgs to sell and offer our products to their customers for us. This might be a good add on feature to another service. For instance if you could get a contract with smaller credit card and have them sell it for $4.99 a month as a valued service to their customers. Or a communications company, like a VOIP company to include it in their extra services package. A nonprofit org with a large demographic of not elderly people, but maybe those who are old enough to not know how to access the internet to get all the answers they need. But is takes building a network of contacts, building positive relationships of trust, negotiations of commission structure, who is responsible for tech issues, responsibility of cancelations, integration of activating customers and accounting, etc.... to handle this line of business. This also means that you are only getting $2-3 per account so the other party can get $2-3 commission a month per sale.

Man......I charge for giving information like this. I will PM you a bill!

Heck, for 3 or 4 bucks a month, I would do it just to be able to call and look up phone numbers and addresses when I am traveling a roaming area without data connectivity on my phone.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/02/2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Paypal me the money, and i'll look up the number for you.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have some Disneyland Bucks left over from my vacation last week, would you accept them?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/01/2006 at 09:34 PM.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No, would not use the service. Had on-star for 2 years and used all of zero times. Too easy to be connected just about anywhere you are today, Treo + Laptop + PDAnet.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have some Disneyland Bucks left over from my vacation last week, would you accept them?
    Works for me. I'm only a few miles away from the Happiest Place On Earth!

You would need to go back literally ten years to have any takers. It is such a stale idea. I think the only way to make it successful (still doubt it) is to make the service free. You could make money by having a 15/30 second ad run when someone calls in for directions, or whatever they are wanting to get an answer for. So you would charge companies to advertise to make the $$. Again I hate this idea. The idea of having to call someone sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomBoatClub
    I AM serious. Why is it such a bad idea?
    Would you guys use a service like this? Would you pay 19$ a month for it? Though I figure I would use it as well as pay that for itI am trying to figure out if I would be "jumping" into something that is a hard sell.
    I already do. It's called MediaNet. But I get a whole lot more (e-mail / web access) than the services you listed.

$20 a month x 24 months = $480 ... easy justification for getting a Treo 650 and getting the info yourself.
    I think that this is a decent idea. Honestly, what type of costs do you really have? A small office with a integrated T1 and a few Pcs. Pay 3 people $9-$10 an hour and you are live. I agree that the TC crowd here is not the target. It is the exec/president that uses a plain nextel.

Bad ideas are big risks that require a lot of capital. I dont see that here.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  19.    #19  
    Robber...My thinking as well. Plus there are a LOT more people out there that are NOT techies than that are! Obviously, that IS the target market here. And for those of us that are techies...get lost (we all do unless you never leave the strait line from home to work and back) whip out the treo and see how long it takes you to get (unlost). A lot longer than a simple call to a 1 800 number would take.
    Robber...My thinking as well. Plus there are a LOT more people out there that are NOT techies than that are! Obviously, that IS the target market here. And for those of us that are techies...get lost (we all do unless you never leave the strait line from home to work and back) whip out the treo and see how long it takes you to get (unlost). A lot longer than a simple call to a 1 800 number would take.
    I wouldn't use it, but as you are pointing out, I am a techie. That said, I just asked a couple of friends and coworkers, specifically non-techie people, EVERY ONE of them said that they were unlikely to use such a service....when I told them the intended price, the general reaction was the same...NOT A CHANCE. They weren't willing to use when I let them think it was free (ala the 800 number...I let them assume).

You may be able to find a market for this, but I think Hobbes was correct...you'll need to package it with another service. And you'll definitely need to lower the price. As you're pointing out, operating costs are very low, why such a steep fee???

Oh, and Insertion's idea would definitely make much more $$$
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast