Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As others have stated here, the price seems way too steep, especially since most people probably wouldn't use this more than a handful of times a month. So you're looking at $4 to $5 a call. I better get a whole lot more than a friendly voice and directions for that. If subscribers used it more than that, most would probably only be doing it to justify the cost.

I cancelled my $20/mo Netflix subscription because I didn't feel I was getting enough out of it, and I used that a hell of a lot more than I'd use a directions or weather or a random Chuck Norris fact while on the road.

And my $15 Sprint charge is less.

There *may* be a market if you're willing to charge per call, and only if it was pretty low.
    I'm back!
  2.    #22  
    Price point makes sense to me. Honestly $19 a month came out of "thin air". Call it $3 or $4 a month. I think the idea of having anything you want to know anytime at your disposal via a cell while not at your computer (no techies, treo's, etc) would appeal to a lot of people (in the non techie group).

I REALLY do thank you guys for asking around and giving your feedback! Maybe I'll look at it a little closer before i jump in head first!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomBoatClub
    Price point makes sense to me. Honestly $19 a month came out of "thin air". Call it $3 or $4 a month. I think the idea of having anything you want to know anytime at your disposal via a cell while not at your computer (no techies, treo's, etc) would appeal to a lot of people (in the non techie group).

I REALLY do thank you guys for asking around and giving your feedback! Maybe I'll look at it a little closer before i jump in head first!
    $3 or $4 a month is a lot more viable than $20 a month. I still wouldn't be interested, but maybe others (the Treo-less) would.

Good luck.
    I'm back!
    Maybe if you make it a contest it'll work...."Try to stump the answer man!". $3-$5 a call and a $20 gift certificate if they are unable to answer any serious question!

Nah, that wouldn't work either....the caller would ask things like "what am I wearing?"...

On a serious note, unless it is coupled with another service, I'd look at a per call charge. Most people I know avoid monthly charges wherever possible.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  5.    #25  
    jmill72x...That was funny as h#!! (the chuck norris fact thing). HA!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomBoatClub

Your target audience is a technically naive person, who uses the phone as a phone, does not know what a PDA or smartphone is. This is a bad place to ask the original question.

There may be a market for this .. If so, you won't get a good idea about it here.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Another downside is that the caller has to pay the air time. Granted, air time is relatively cheap, but it still is an added expenses.

The most useful function is the surrogate GPS, i.e. I'm lost and you get me unlost. However, with GPS, when I make a wrong turn there is an automatic adjustment. When getting over the phone instructions, the instructor relies on the caller to follow instructions. But, what happens when the road is blocked by construction? Now the instructor, who most likely is not familiar with the area, has to try to devise an alternate route.

All this is occurring while using up (what are now) precious minutes on my cell.
    I think that you keep the price elevated and really spin it as an executive service. A per call fee turns me off- I would rather have unlimited usage- even if I knew it would cost me more. I would concentrate on selling this business to business.

I would also say that while airtime is a good point- the target that I see would not care or even think about airtime. (I dont even think about airtime)

The key to this being successful is not a national marketing campaign trying to get everyone to set up. It is a true sales professional going into a business and selling the value (whatever it may be for x company) of having the service at their disposal at both business and aftrer hours.

The ultimate idea is having one number to do everything and never having to wait. Reservations, ordering takeout, move tickets, area events, etc, etc. Certainly the speciifc logistics of thebusiness plan would need to be carefully looked at and most likely revised but I think the idea has legs.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I agree with the points robber brought up, but you will need to have an answer to security. If there are going to book reservations in the customer's name, they are going to need personal security information....i.e. airlines frequent flyer program login information, credit card numbers, etc....

You need to address this and solidify your policies and proceedures for these concerns before you approach any potential customer or client.
    I'm thinkin' in the time it takes you to call this service and have them order your Chinese take-out, you could have just called the damn restaurant yourself.

I've changed my tune. Knowing there are people willing to spend money on anything, I think I shall start up a service as well. Hey, better idea, why don't you start up the service, so you can call yourself, and have yourself order take out for you.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Insertion, I know you are being tongue-in-cheek.....but your example is a good example of the service. I travel a lot and would love to have a source that I can call to have chinese ordered a 1/2 hour before I check in and delivered to my hotel in a city I have never visited before while roaming so I have data connectivity to look it up myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Insertion, I know you are being tongue-in-cheek.....but your example is a good example of the service. I travel a lot and would love to have a source that I can call to have chinese ordered a 1/2 hour before I check in and delivered to my hotel in a city I have never visited before while roaming so I have data connectivity to look it up myself.
    I refuse to do business with you until you hand over those Disney bucks!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    As an FYI, I read in this month's issue of Cargo magazine that there is a service that already does this, or something very similar. You can either call or SMS AskMeNow (www.askmenow.com), and they will search the internet for your question and either tell you on the phone or SMS you back. Easy answers are free, harder ones are $.49 a piece.

Unless you friend can really offer some value-added, you'll have a hard time cracking this market.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I refuse to do business with you until you hand over those Disney bucks!
    Uhm....ya....Sure...Oh...They are in the mail...ya, that's right...the mail....You should get them sometime next week.
    Possibly a good idea, I'd charge for two services. A "lite" service and a "Premium" service.

Lite - Call center is routed in India where Aeoyiagh "Call me Mike" Qeyegia answers the phone over a VOIP connection where you sporadically hear static and can barely understand what is being said based on the thick accident and poor cellular connection.

Premium - Call center is located in the US and manned by a series of under-paid angry/hostile youth who have a natural propensity to just hang up on you after excessive hold-times or answer your questions with distain and hate. You're able to understand them without problem because you both speak English.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    As an FYI, I read in this month's issue of Cargo magazine that there is a service that already does this, or something very similar. You can either call or SMS AskMeNow (www.askmenow.com), and they will search the internet for your question and either tell you on the phone or SMS you back. Easy answers are free, harder ones are $.49 a piece.

Unless you friend can really offer some value-added, you'll have a hard time cracking this market.
    Thanks for the lead. $0.49 is cheaper than calling info for a number when I am roaming with no data connection. I am signing up!

FreedomBoatClub, if you get off the ground, let me know and I will check it out as a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Thanks for the lead. $0.49 is cheaper than calling info for a number when I am roaming with no data connection. I am signing up!

FreedomBoatClub, if you get off the ground, let me know and I will check it out as a customer.
    Let us know how it works out.

Uncanny timing by Cargo to have a blurb about this.
    I'm back!
    I guess I'll be the lone dissenter and say that I think the idea has potential. Some scenarios...

- My wife called me a few times this past summer because she was lost driving in the city. If you had someone who was especially skilled at quickly pulling up directions on Mapquest and communicating them, that could be of value.

- I've gone to the bookstore a couple of times and perused some books that looked interesting. I usually prefer to buy books online to save money and I always like to check the Amazon user reviews first. Amazon's mobile site was hard to remember (it's http://amazon.com/mcommerce?tag=webosnation0e-20) and it doesn't show all of the reviews anyway. Their regular site is too huge and loads *SLOW* so it's a painful process. If I could call someone and have them give me a synopsis or even read each and every review to me, that could be neat.

The big problem here is that $19/month is too much for the end-user and probably not enough for your friend's company to profit from. If I call once or twice a month, great. But what if I call more than that and require more time spent by the person on the phone? The more time they spend, the less money your friend can make, and for this to be truly valuable, I'd need them to spend some time and not rush me off the phone. And how many people would be staffed up? If I need/want these answers, I can't afford to wait on hold for more than a minute. And you'll need to employ Americans (if you're targeting the American consumer) because clear verbal communication is a must-have for this.

So I like the idea (or perhaps the idea as I've expanded it), but I'm not sure if it's doable financially.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I guess I'll be the lone dissenter and say that I think the idea has potential. Some scenarios...

- My wife called me a few times this past summer because she was lost driving in the city. If you had someone who was especially skilled at quickly pulling up directions on Mapquest and communicating them, that could be of value.

- I've gone to the bookstore a couple of times and perused some books that looked interesting. I usually prefer to buy books online to save money and I always like to check the Amazon user reviews first. Amazon's mobile site was hard to remember (it's http://amazon.com/mcommerce) and it doesn't show all of the reviews anyway. Their regular site is too huge and loads *SLOW* so it's a painful process. If I could call someone and have them give me a synopsis or even read each and every review to me, that could be neat.

The big problem here is that $19/month is too much for the end-user and probably not enough for your friend's company to profit from. If I call once or twice a month, great. But what if I call more than that and require more time spent by the person on the phone? The more time they spend, the less money your friend can make, and for this to be truly valuable, I'd need them to spend some time and not rush me off the phone. And how many people would be staffed up? If I need/want these answers, I can't afford to wait on hold for more than a minute. And you'll need to employ Americans (if you're targeting the American consumer) because clear verbal communication is a must-have for this.

So I like the idea (or perhaps the idea as I've expanded it), but I'm not sure if it's doable financially.
    It does have some potential. Like I said, there's already a company doing something very similar to this, and it's a lot cheaper than $19/mo.
    I'm back!
    GoogleSMS(46645) is FREE (charge for normal SMS use) and it does everything askmenow does.

Lost, get directions
    find food in a town you have never been to
    hotel reservations
    weather
    general questions
    etc.

Roaming no data connection, no prob this is SMS

http://www.google.com/sms/howtouse.html
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12