Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Do any of you folks on the right support this type of thing? Swift Boating another vietnam vet.

Source: WaPo

WP: Web Site Attacks Critic of War

Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.), the former Marine who is an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq, has become the latest Democrat to have his Vietnam War decorations questioned.

In a tactic reminiscent of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth assault on Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) during the 2004 presidential campaign, a conservative Web site yesterday quoted Murtha opponents as questioning the circumstances surrounding the awarding of his two Purple Hearts.

David Thibault, editor in chief of the Cybercast News Service, said the issue of Murtha's medals from 1967 is relevant now "because the congressman has really put himself in the forefront of the antiwar movement." Thibault said: "He has been placed by the Democratic Party and antiwar activists as a spokesman against the war above reproach."

<snip>

Cybercast is part of the conservative Media Research Center, run by L. Brent Bozell III, who accused some in the media of ignoring the Swift Boat charges, but Thibault said it operates independently. He said the unit, formerly called the Conservative News Service, averages 110,000 readers, mainly conservative, and provides material for other Web sites such as GOPUSA. "We won't run anything against anybody if we don't have the goods," he said.
    Then here is a video of the above mentioned a**hole(Brent Bozo) making the worst person in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Do any of you folks on the right support this type of thing?
    If what they claim is untrue, absolutely not.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Politics is a dirty business and unfortunately smear tactics have become the weapon of choice by both sides. Seems to me this is a bed the Dems. made and now are having difficulty lying in it.

Personally, I have difficulty with all negative politics.
    I agree.....look at the attacks on GWB NG service. Look at the attacks on GWB academic record smear campaign that turns out GWB [probably did better than Kerry. Look at.... NRG, did you support these attacks?

It happens on both sides, and I agree it should stop.....BOTH REPS AND DEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It should Hobbes, unfortunately in (and out of) this forum, people only give a rats *** if it's one of their own getting "smeared".

Say whatever you want about the other side, har, har, yuk, yuk, but don't you ever say anything about my guy, you hate monger!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The best money I spent in 2004 was the $300 I donated to the Swift Vets.
    "Swift Boating".....hmmmm. I wonder if that is sort of like "Borking"?
    I think it goes back to teh Willie Horton Ads. BTW they man that designed all of those ads, recanted all of them on his death bed. He was a realtively young man, who died shortly thereafter of cancer. He felt, it unleased Pandora's box and I think he was right about that part of it. His name was Lee Atwater. He had stated he found it hard to live with himslef for starting a trend in trash ads, that he could not stop!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    I think it goes back to teh Willie Horton Ads.
    Bull. Those ads were the Republicans re-airing attacks made by Dukakis' fellow Dems during their primary. The Repub ads were unkind, for sure, but hardly groundbreaking. Once again, Dems lead the way. They are progressives, after all.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    It doesn't matter who started it, who continues it or what ever, what matters is it is time to stop it. I find the irony of all of it, is that so many of the "christian right" who listen to people like pt Roberston and his ilk on how to vote and just look at the statements and behavior of leaders like him. Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It doesn't matter who started it, who continues it or what ever, what matters is it is time to stop it. I find the irony of all of it, is that so many of the "christian right" who listen to people like pt Roberston and his ilk on how to vote and just look at the statements and behavior of leaders like him. Jay
    Perhaps you could start by setting an example for the rest of us - cut out the stereotyping.

Funny how it mattered that Repubs started it, but as soon as it's pointed out that it was Dems... well can't we all just get along?

I agree, however that nasty personal attacks over issues unrelated to public policy are always out of bounds.
    Intersting you should say that. Here in central Florida, the movie Brokeback Mountain is playing in only on theater, in Orlando, Florida. It is not playing in any other theater in the sourrounding other 4 counties. That is because of people Like Pat Roberston and Rev Widemon, who have threatened to have their memebers boycott any chain or parent company of any theater chain that shows it.

While, I am not gay, I would like to see the movie without having to drive 110 miles round trip, because the Christian right decided that not just shouldn't their members see the movie, that no one in the area should also be allowed to see it.

Furthermore, I is very ironic that Pat Robertson has a bee in his bonnet over it, after all he stated, in 1998, Orlando, Fl. that they 'risked hurricanes, earthquakes, and terrorist bombs' after they allowed homosexual organizations to display rainbow flags.

In 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. Now he wants the CIA to wack the President Venezuela or that the PM of another country had a stroke for giving away land. This man both ran for the Office of the President of The United States and is a relgious leader.

Do not kid yourself. The Christian right has a great deal to say about politics and unfortunately we all often end up having to pay for it. I am not saying ALL Christain leaders are at fault. However, too many people in this country should think before opening their mouths, or follow the golden rule, or he or she has not sinned should cast the first stone, (there were a lot of stone throwing about Clinton and his affair, funny thing is that so many of the stone throwers were sinners of the same kind or others sins just as bad.

I am just tiired of having the poltics of this country trash the other party and then turn around and show that very same leader going off to church, shul or temple. I am tired of too many of the relgious trying to make it seem that their view and only their view is correct or allowable!

Take care, Jay
    Do not kid yourself.
    Since I am a Christian and a right-winger, I think I'm probably well qualified to say that you give the nut-jobs at the far right of my demographic WAY too much credit. I'm sorry you have to drive 110 miles to see a gay cowboy movie. I think your beef ( ) is with large movie chains who'd rather show 12 screens of Harry Potter and Narnia in order to wring as much $ as possible during their short runs.

At any rate, just because CNN pays a lot of attention to Robertson and company doesn't mean very many actual Christians do.

If you're worried about fringe characters gaining control of a political party, as a Democrat you might want to take a long look in the mirror, my friend.
    First of all, that you for calling or implying I am on the fringe, all my life, I have prided myslef of traveling to the beat of a different drum. However, since I was born and raised in NYC, I doubt, my views are much on the fringe nationally at all.

1. The movie is named Brokeback Mountain, not as you refeer to it as "a gay cowboy movie", as if not using it's title shows distain for it.

2. The largest of the local movie theater here, (12 screens), the manager outright told me, they are not showing it becuase "they do not want flak from the local churhes". They are showing the following movies along with nationally high grossing movies, Match Point, Grandma's Boy, Memoirs of a Geisha, all of which are taking in much less money than Brokeback Mountain.

The same chain that owns the local 12 plex is showing Brokeback Mountain in multiple localtions all over the country and in more that one movie house in a city or town, (depending on how tolerant the community is).

When I moved here 9 years ago, the only members of the local school board who were elected, were those who were "approved" by the boards of directors of the local schools. These churchs were in effect controling what books were bought by the schools libraries, as well as what was taught in the schools. As they campagned (sp, sorry) to get these board members elected. As a matter of fact, many of the local churchs bragged about getting "that school board elected". I am gald to say that is no longer the case, as the locals have gotten out voted by a large influx of "new" residents. (Please do not think I am singling out only the Christians, my religion has had too much to say about politics as well, however, as I sated above many of the local churches are proud to have elected what they feel should be the only platform in the schools).
    Since the thread was supposed to be about political commercials and the mean spirt of them, the vast majority of American's greatly dislike negative ads. Especailly since we need the issues discussed, not who did what 30 or 35 years ago. That puts me, far from what you stated a "fringe characters gaining control of a political party".

In stead of the swiftboat ads, that were discussed at the start of this thread, would it have killed Bush, to discuss the issues and not what was done years ago??? Bush could have and should have asked the group and all groups to drop attack ads. However, he did not, should have eschewed the issues, not enjoying the obsefication.

BTW most people think and feel we should have an issue based election than a one of hate and attacks.

Look Murhta is allowed to have his opinion, without his backgroud being attacked, we all should. Murtha did not "swiftboat" Bush, so why should he be swiftboated.

Since this tread was started about Murtha, let me say, that Iraq is a huge mess, I do not think we can or should leave now. However, I do feel it is not Un-American to ask, how did we get in this mess in the first place and how do we prevent it from happening again? The admistration was clearly WRONG about almost everything about the war and it does not help that this President, does not like to admit, when he was wrong or to "punish" those who were wrong. Mr. Bush needs to take much of the blame for what happened, and clean "house", this would have worked far better for him, than the swiftboat BS ads, that he made no effort to stop.

Take care, Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 01/14/2006 at 10:47 PM.
    First off, let me clarify - I did not say you were "fringe" (though since you brought it up, being raised in NYC might make one lots of wonderful things, however mainstream American isn't the first thing that pops into this simple midwestern mind)

I was saying as a Democrat you should look in the mirror since your party is being taken over by the fringe.

About Brokeback Mountain - it is just a movie and what I said was just a joke. Not all Christian right-wingers are bigotted homophobes. Some obviously are and some simply don't like having other folks bedroom habits aired in public.

Thankfully we still live in a country where people can vote for people who share their values to be on school boards. That works both ways, of course.

And about Murtha - I said earlier that if what the MRC folks are saying is not true, it is completely unacceptable. You will hear this from many on the right. Meanwhile we on the right will wait patiently for someone on the left to condemn Kennedy et al for their behavior during the Alito hearings.
    This won't stop because it works.
    In a democracy, we get the government (and society) we deserve.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    This won't stop because it works.
    In a democracy, we get the government (and society) we deserve.
    Unfortunate, but true.
    Kennedy's behavior in lots of areas will never be defended by me. I do not care for the man at all. Take care, jay
    NRG: if and when we ever get a hold of real campaign finance reform, then we will get rid of personal attack ads.

Until then, we as 'educated' voters must look through the rhetoric and look at a persons track record and the platform they run on ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

1. The movie is named Brokeback Mountain, not as you refeer to it as "a gay cowboy movie", as if not using it's title shows distain for it.
    So, given that the movie is about some cowboys who either happen to be gay, or have a moment with each other (haven't seen it, don't want to see it, so I'm not sure which it is...), one can't refer to it as a "gay cowboy movie?"

I love thought police. Don't call a spade a spade.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast