View Poll Results: How comfortable are you with Google as a Company?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like Google and use all their products and eagerly await more.

5 33.33%
  • I use their search engine and a few other apps but have my concerns about privacy

4 26.67%
  • I used to use Google but they are starting to frighten me so I am using them less

0 0%
  • I have never used Google products, preferrring similar product offerings elsewhere

0 0%
  • It just doesn't matter to me.

6 40.00%
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking over what the next great Palm Application would be today, which will be the topic of another thread. I started thinking about Google Earth, and how "neat" it is, and the way people use that program, along with Google Maps as the latest "gee whiz" program to land on my desktop. Then I was considering the evolution of Google Earth. Right now, the high resolution image of my city is almost two years old. What if it was two months old? Or two weeks? Or two days? At what point does it become "scary"? Its an interesting thought. At some point what goes on in my backyard is nobody's business, I am just not sure when that point is.

There has been alot of thoughtful discussion and differing opinions on Google - with their book scanning project in particular. I am wondering what the balance of opinion on the company and its "credo" are on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I was thinking over what the next great Palm Application would be today, which will be the topic of another thread. I started thinking about Google Earth, and how "neat" it is, and the way people use that program, along with Google Maps as the latest "gee whiz" program to land on my desktop. Then I was considering the evolution of Google Earth. Right now, the high resolution image of my city is almost two years old. What if it was two months old? Or two weeks? Or two days? At what point does it become "scary"? Its an interesting thought. At some point what goes on in my backyard is nobody's business, I am just not sure when that point is.

There has been alot of thoughtful discussion and differing opinions on Google - with their book scanning project in particular. I am wondering what the balance of opinion on the company and its "credo" are on this board.
    Their "informal" corporate motto is "Don't be evil".

I hope they stick to it, however, is not supporting the squashing of information available on the Internet in China being evil just to get into the market there?
    yes dat it is. google, yahoo & Microsoft are so scared of losing china's business, they'll play there game
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    yes dat it is. google, yahoo & Microsoft are so scared of losing china's business, they'll play there game

Agreed. I HATE to see U.S. companies take part in the oppression of a native people in the name of "doing business". Particularly when it's the oppression of democracy and/or religious freedoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Agreed. I HATE to see U.S. companies take part in the oppression of a native people in the name of "doing business". Particularly when it's the oppression of democracy and/or religious freedoms.
    Unfortunately, these businesses fail to understand that it is the very principles (such as democracy and religious freedom) they are overlooking that allow them to be where they are.

As to the "scariness" of google, It is not the collection of everything about us that is of concern, but into whose hands it falls. There are those who use knowledge to build (people and things) and others who use it to destroy (people and things).