1.    #1  
    The National Library Service has a free service to those who qualify. Some of you already use satellite radio, but if you qualify, this is just as good and probably free. It works best on cars that are 4 years and older with a standard tape deck. Jay uses it and enjoys it. Check it out.
    Blind people are driving cars, that explains the quality of some drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Blind people are driving cars, that explains the quality of some drivers?
    FUNNY NOT....THAT IS A TOTALLY TASTELESS JOKE...ANYONE WHO IS DISABLED, WHOSE DISABILITY PREVENTS THEM FROMHOLDING A BOOK OR LOOKING DOWN AT A BOOK CAN QUALIFY. I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA AND MULTIPLE SPINAL INJURIES, (WITH MULTIPLE SPINAL IMPLANTS FROM 2 SURIES). THE SYSTEM IS WELL WORTH LOOKING INTO FOR ANYONE WHO QUALIFIES, TAKE CARE, JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Does your fibromyalgia impair your ability to use the caps lock key?

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    It works best on cars that are 4 years and older with a standard tape deck. Jay uses it and enjoys it.
    Evidently I was way off in my comment.
    Fibromyalgia is a disease that effects how you do almost anything. So yes, it can effect the way that you type. Currently, I am only typing with one finger instead of the three that usualy hurt little enough to function properly. It is condition that causes never ending pain. Furthermore, not just do you have pain in many "regular places", hands, wrist, neck, back, you also have pain that moves. In other words, one day you left leg will hurt so much you may feel like chopping it off, two hours later, it may not bother you at all. In addtion, it is beleived that Fibromyalgia, is caused by a chemical know as "substance "P"". Sub P is the chemical your brain produces that controls the amount of seratonin, that your brain produces. Seratonin, amongst other things effects, reposonce to pain, exhustion, depression, congnitive thoughts, reading and concontration and memory. For thsoe of us who spell poorly, it means we will have more spelling and/or typos and be more likely not to perceave them as errors when proof reading them. There is not one drug approve anywhere in the world for treatment for Fibromyalgia. There is a drug known as Lyricia, that is near approval. It is Chemiclaly close to a rx named nuerontin. Both rx;s were orgiannly for epelepsy (sp), (luscjky I do nto have ep).. For some unknow reason, the more you take the less it will work on seasures, but the more it will work on chronic pain. However, it does casue many othe rproblems. Alost all of us on if for pain, have sever memory problems, On top of the ones that fibromyalgia can cause.

For example, my short term memory is so screwed up that I have to keep my puills in premade boxes, one for each dose, (4 x a day), otherwise, I would nto remember if I took a dose a few minutes before. In additon, the further you get from a dose, the better yoru short term memory becomes. My daily RX regime is 29 pills accross the endtire day and night. (This cost well over $1500 a month, which other than the BS you hear medicare rx coverage is crap)! Amazing that I never smoke pot, (in fact, I never smoked anything), I never did drugs and never even took an asprin until this entire mess happend!!!

The strange thing is, it also effects long term memory in a weird way which often makes it hard to decide, if you dreamt something or if it happened.

For example, an event from childhood, comes back with such clarity, that you think it just happend. Think of your brain as follows:

Your brain actually is able to "remember" almost everything that ever happened in your life. However a chemical barrier keeps "unimportant" memories away form your "concious" mind. The alimnet fibromyagia and so far most of the treatment, other them general pain pills, tries to "reinforce" this brain chemical barrier, so that your memory is more like the avwrage person. However, think of it as if a stone has been tossed in a very smooth flat lake. The lake being the chem. barrier that prevents you from remebering unimportant things. The bottom of the lake is what your mind determines, what you do not need to remeber and the air above the lake is the portion of your brain that you use for active memory.

That stone will make ripples accross the lake. It will also cause a swirling effect in the water so that a little bittle of the dreges from the lake comes to the surace. The water.

That little bit of silt and soil is a forgotten unemportant memory. Now however, it comes to light so clearly, that for example, you will be sure that you spoke to a friend today and had a complete conversation.

THE ONLY THING IS THAT THAT CONVERSATION HAPPEND 12 YEARS AGO! However, you are sure it happened now! You are able to remeber every word, phrase, nauance . You remember the smell and tast of the food you ate when you were talking to your freind. You remember the breeze moving your friends hair around.

Not just are you convienced that it happended just now. You also think it happend at Joe Allan's restuarant on Resturant row just off of the broadway thearte district, when in fact it happened at an outside table in St. Thomas.

It is scary, frightening and maddening. You think you are losing your mind. In additon, you are too tired to go to the dr, to try to expain thta you think you are loosing your mind. You are so racked, with physical pain, that you cannot grip the steering wheel. even thought you just drove your car 5 minutes before. On top of the fact, that in p[site of the fact that I have lived in this house, in this development for 9 years and 2 months. I cannot rememeber how to drive the almost 2 miles to get to the front entrance of my development.

Hard to beleive that I once ran a business for almost 25 years, that I had 6 full and 8 part timers. That was my old life before Fibromyalgia. Those were the days I could walk up a 30 ladder with 50 lbs of water or bench press 275, not bad for somone who then weighed only 127!

A few years ago, quite by accident, I was invited to address members of the US House or representives on Medicare reform, as a disabled person, after 24 months of no coverage, you become eligable for medicare just like sernior citzens. I actually had to time my talk with the timing of my meds, so that I would hopefully remember what I was going to say...........how I was going to explain to the Congressmen and Congresswomen.what all of this is like. I choose to use the lake analagy. I was afraid they would all think I was having an acid flashback.

So as you can see, Fibrommylgia can anbd does effect, if I not just use the cap key, but it can also effect, if I percieve if I actually have used it when I proof read this.

BTW I worked on this piecemeal on and off for several hours. Sorry to be so long winded, I just wanted to try to convey what it is like to think you are seeing your mind unraveling.

BTW where is strong Island. I lived in Flushing Queens for 38 years, but was born in Brooklyn NY, (and proud of it).
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  7.    #7  
    ilovedessert, sorry to hear of your condition. I have heard of fibromyalgia, but never knew what it is. Curiousity - how did you come to the treocentral website? Do you own a Treo?
    Thank you. I went from a treo 300-------> treo 600 -----------> treo 650 All on sprint!
  9.    #9  
    Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    ...bench press 275, not bad for somone who then weighed only 127!