Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #1  
    I found this interesting.


    Source: Sun-Sentinel


    Florida Supreme Court declares school vouchers unconstititional

    By BILL KACZOR
    Associated Press
    Posted January 5 2006, 11:42 AM EST


    TALLAHASSEE -- The Florida Supreme Court struck down the state's voucher system that allows some children to attend private schools at taxpayer expense, saying it violates the state constitution's requirement of a uniform system of free public schools.

    Thursday's 5-2 opinion struck down the Opportunity Scholarship Program, championed by Gov. Jeb Bush, which was the nation's first statewide system of school vouchers. About 700 children statewide are using the program to attend a private or parochial school after transferring from a public school the state considers to be failing.

    Chief Justice Barbara Pariente, writing for the majority, said the program ``diverts public dollars into separate private systems parallel to and in competition with the free public schools,'' which are the sole means set out in the state constitution for educating Florida children.

    Private schools also are not uniform when compared with each other or the public system and they are exempt from many standards imposed by law on public schools, such as mandatory testing, she added.

    Justices Kenneth Bell and Raoul Cantero, both appointed by Bush, dissented.


    snip
  2. #2  
    Another winner from the collectivists of the SCOFLA(W).
  3. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #3  
    Unfortunately this all stems from a failure of our public school systems. Maybe we need to squash little Johnny's self esteem if he can not read in the 6th grade, or if he still counts on his fingers in high school.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  4. #4  
    I think that we need to support public schools. They are the backbone of our future and need drastic reform- but they should not be handed off to the private sector IMO.

    And I'm a republican!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Unfortunately this all stems from a failure of our public school systems. Maybe we need to squash little Johnny's self esteem if he can not read in the 6th grade, or if he still counts on his fingers in high school.
    Not if little Johnny can dribble that basketball we can't!
    I'm back!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    I think that we need to support public schools. They are the backbone of our future and need drastic reform- but they should not be handed off to the private sector IMO.

    And I'm a republican!
    I agree but the issue then turns to 'how'. Private schools tend to do better with less because they are run more like a business.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree but the issue then turns to 'how'. Private schools tend to do better with less because they are run more like a business.
    That does not mean they are better T2.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    That does not mean they are better T2.
    Better is a very subjective term. I tried to clarify it by saying that private schools do better with less (money). Essentially I am saying that the private schools are more efficient.

    They usually have to be better with funding because parents have a higher expectation that the administration will be frugal and efficient. Parents expect their children to do better at a private school (otherwise most parents wouldn't shell out the money for them.)

    NRG: when you say that private schools are not better, in what way are you referring? I ask because if a private school is not better in some quantifiable way, it tends to not last and gets closed...the market system *usually won't allow it to survive. This type of 'check' is usually not put onto public schools so there is a little less incentive to get more from less.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree but the issue then turns to 'how'. Private schools tend to do better with less because they are run more like a business.
    Private schools and academies have it right. The public school sector needs to copy them or at least take a page. Run everything on an individual school level and hold the upper mangement accountable. The tax dollars are there...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2

Posting Permissions