1.    #1  
    Quick question that someone here might be able to answer--I haven't seen it answered elsewhere. Do the various different sat radio receivers vary in their ability to draw in a signal, or is that the function of the antenna?

In other words, will my choice of receiver impact my reception, or am I just choosing form factor, bells and whistles, etc. with the receiver?

Thanks in advance...I'm slowly wading into the world of sat radio....
    I'm going Sirius - any aftermkt unit suggestions? Want a clean fit, likely using a bracket to slide in between the original head unit and the plastic so no drill holes will be visible.
    You cannto go by me, I listed to books from the national library service of the lib. of congress' for the blind and the disabled. I have not idea what is on any radio. My car is 4 years old and the only reason the radio is used is to allow the cassette apater to broadcast talking books. take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    So you listen to audio books, you have a four year old car and the only reason you have a radio is to use the tape player?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    You cannto go by me, I listed to books from the national library service of the lib. of congress' for the blind and the disabled. I have not idea what is on any radio. My car is 4 years old and the only reason the radio is used is to allow the cassette apater to broadcast talking books. take care, jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I'm going Sirius - any aftermkt unit suggestions? Want a clean fit, likely using a bracket to slide in between the original head unit and the plastic so no drill holes will be visible.
    I have the Sportster Sirius radio and like it. Since I rent a lot of cars, I got the windshield mount with with it. The Windshield mount works really great with a nice firm grip that if put on correctly never slips.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have XM built-in in my Denali and love it. Bought my wife an accord that did not have XM, will be putting in XM (better choice of channels in my opinon) in the next couple of weeks. The only time I have had any reception issue is in a tunnel. You can get a basic system installed really cheap these days.

Placement of the antenna on mobile units seems to have the most impact.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Yes, the playetr that the library of congress (LOC), supples us, is not loud enough to listen too without running it thru the car radio's amp system, (for most of the tapes).

Keep in mind the tapes are not very high quality recordings. They are recorded mono not stereo, so that track a is used for side one, the cassette is the flipped with side b used for side two, the cassette is flipped again with track b for side three and then the cassette is flipped agin for side a for side four. Once you have listen to sides 1 & 2, you flip a rocker switch, which allows you to hear sides three and four, (track b on the first side of the tape and track a on the second side of the tape. The books are also recorded at approx 1/2 speed to allow more text read onto one cassette. A variable control allows you the speed the play back up to 20% or slow it up by approx 5 to 7%. However, that does alter the pitch and tone of the recording.

There are machines that one can buy, (not the ones from the Lib. Of Congress, that allow one to alter the pitch so it does not sound like mickey mouse).

I am pleased to say they system will be junked by 2008 and we will have a fully digital system with no moving parts, machines 1/4 the size and about 1/8 ther weight. I am trying to find out if they can be transfered onto my treo for playyback. Shortly after 2008, we should be able to download the books and read hwat we want when we want ot. Currently, we order out of huge catalogs, (written or braille) and your books are laed on a computer list. When the books come in the books are sent to you, with the books being taken off the list when they are shipped. Since you do not know what you will gte and when you will get it, they ask you to have very long lists. (there are about 400 ior so on my current list).

I also get to pick how fast and how often the books are sent to me. I get about 4 a week. I usually read 2 to four a week. We are allowed to build up a an archive of books, so thar we can pick and choice what we want to read from the books I have at hand. Currently, I have about 35 books on tape here at home.

Books can be ordered by title or author. You can have a standing order for all books, by lets say Jonathan Kellerman. The books take about 6 months from date of release to be recorded in the LOC format. However, it is now faster than it used to be. Since so many books are now released as recordings for sale to the general public. Those are converted with the permission of the publishing house to the LOC's format.

In the case of books recorded by or for the LOC these are usally read by the same person for the same author. In the case of books that are recorded for the retail market. We get the same narrator as you do. However, the LOC has it's own annotation recorded by somemone else describing the book and reading the jacket liner notes as well. In addition, in many books the chapters are tone indexed wth a tone, that is heard in fast forward, reverse (but not in play mode), so one case find a certain chapter, (good for text books, as well as cook books). This tone is on all books, telling us where the book starts, if you wish to skip the annotoation.

This service is free to all that qualify. You must be blind, or sight impared, or physcially disabled, that you habve trouble or cannot look down at a book or cannto hold a book, (the reasosn why I am in the program). The books are shipped via 1st class mail to us and back tot he library for free. The machines are actually owned by the LOC so that the repairs are made by them or a group working with them for free. It used to be the ATT poneers, however there are so few of them now that ATT is a much smaller company. In this state, (florida), the prisons now repair them and then are in turn are taught a trade! An application is available on line at the LOC's national Library Services, divisions website, A medical professional must sign the forms and they are sent off to the Talking book program in your state that works with the LOC. you can even arrange to have text books recorded for you!

Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have the Sportster Sirius radio and like it. Since I rent a lot of cars, I got the windshield mount with with it. The Windshield mount works really great with a nice firm grip that if put on correctly never slips.
    I too rent a lot of cars (usually two a week). My problem in choosing a Sirius receiver is how I would mount it in a rental. Are you able to take a photo of your rental car mounting set up.
    Yes, the playetr that the library of congress (LOC), supples us, is not loud enough to listen too without running it thru the car radio's amp system, (for most of the tapes).

Keep in mind the tapes are not very high quality recordings. They are recorded mono not stereo, so that track a is used for side one, the cassette is the flipped with side b used for side two, the cassette is flipped again with track b for side three and then the cassette is flipped agin for side a for side four. Once you have listen to sides 1 & 2, you flip a rocker switch, which allows you to hear sides three and four, (track b on the first side of the tape and track a on the second side of the tape. The books are also recorded at approx 1/2 speed to allow more text read onto one cassette. A variable control allows you the speed the play back up to 20% or slow it up by approx 5 to 7%. However, that does alter the pitch and tone of the recording.

There are machines that one can buy, (not the ones from the Lib. Of Congress, that allow one to alter the pitch so it does not sound like mickey mouse).

I am pleased to say they system will be junked by 2008 and we will have a fully digital system with no moving parts, machines 1/4 the size and about 1/8 ther weight. I am trying to find out if they can be transfered onto my treo for playyback. Shortly after 2008, we should be able to download the books and read hwat we want when we want ot. Currently, we order out of huge catalogs, (written or braille) and your books are laed on a computer list. When the books come in the books are sent to you, with the books being taken off the list when they are shipped. Since you do not know what you will gte and when you will get it, they ask you to have very long lists. (there are about 400 ior so on my current list).

I also get to pick how fast and how often the books are sent to me. I get about 4 a week. I usually read 2 to four a week. We are allowed to build up a an archive of books, so thar we can pick and choice what we want to read from the books I have at hand. Currently, I have about 35 books on tape here at home.

Books can be ordered by title or author. You can have a standing order for all books, by lets say Jonathan Kellerman. The books take about 6 months from date of release to be recorded in the LOC format. However, it is now faster than it used to be. Since so many books are now released as recordings for sale to the general public. Those are converted with the permission of the publishing house to the LOC's format.

In the case of books recorded by or for the LOC these are usally read by the same person for the same author. In the case of books that are recorded for the retail market. We get the same narrator as you do. However, the LOC has it's own annotation recorded by somemone else describing the book and reading the jacket liner notes as well. In addition, in many books the chapters are tone indexed wth a tone, that is heard in fast forward, reverse (but not in play mode), so one case find a certain chapter, (good for text books, as well as cook books). This tone is on all books, telling us where the book starts, if you wish to skip the annotoation.

This service is free to all that qualify. You must be blind, or sight impared, or physcially disabled, that you habve trouble or cannot look down at a book or cannto hold a book, (the reasosn why I am in the program). The books are shipped via 1st class mail to us and back tot he library for free. The machines are actually owned by the LOC so that the repairs are made by them or a group working with them for free. It used to be the ATT poneers, however there are so few of them now that ATT is a much smaller company. In this state, (florida), the prisons now repair them and then are in turn are taught a trade! An application is available on line at the LOC's national Library Services, divisions website, A medical professional must sign the forms and they are sent off to the Talking book program in your state that works with the LOC. you can even arrange to have text books recorded for you!

Take care, jay
    What does this have to with Satellite Radios. Let me answer that for you, NONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    What does this have to with Satellite Radios. Let me answer that for you, NONE
    I know, off topic in the off topic forum!

Quote Originally Posted by pbryon
    Quick question that someone here might be able to answer--I haven't seen it answered elsewhere. Do the various different sat radio receivers vary in their ability to draw in a signal, or is that the function of the antenna?

In other words, will my choice of receiver impact my reception, or am I just choosing form factor, bells and whistles, etc. with the receiver?

Thanks in advance...I'm slowly wading into the world of sat radio....
    One of things that you do need to think about is how you are going to get the analog Sirius signal to your head unit. RF Radio, direct termination into an aux input, tape adapter, etc. Most people broadcast to their fm radios in their cars via an empty station like 88.1 etc. If this is the case than you will see a significant difference in how well your satellite radio can talk to your fm radio depending on the model.

I just got the starmate replay and can report that its transmitter works great. Just as good as my xm commander that terminates right into my head unit. (still via fm)
    Last edited by Les Anderson; 01/06/2006 at 10:24 AM.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    All I stated is that I do not listen to my car radio and then I was asked more about the talking book program. I am a cheerleader in effect for the program, it has no advertising budget, so hardly anyone knows about a program that is so needed by so many. How would you feel if you were unable to read do to lost of sight or disability???? Take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    I know, off topic in the off topic forum!

One of things that you do need to think about is how you are going to get the analog Sirius signal to your head unit. RF Radio, direct termination into an aux input, tape adapter, etc. Most people broadcast to their fm radios in their cars via an empty station like 88.1 etc. If this is the case than you will see a significant difference in how well your satellite radio can talk to your fm radio depending on the model.

I just got the starmate replay and can report that its transmitter works great. Just as good as my xm commander that terminates right into my head unit. (still via fm)
    FM transmitter should be last resort. I have used tape adapter, FM transmitter and aux input. FM transmitter has more static interference and if you are in an area with lots of radio stations you may find it difficult to find a completely clear station to broadcast to.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    All I stated is that I do not listen to my car radio and then I was asked more about the talking book program. I am a cheerleader in effect for the program, it has no advertising budget, so hardly anyone knows about a program that is so needed by so many. How would you feel if you were unable to read do to lost of sight or disability???? Take care, Jay
    Actually you have attempted to hijack the thread, no one asked you for information on the program, one person made a comment on your post about a 4 year old car and only use the radio for the tape player in a thread about Sat Receivers in confusion as to why you posted it. I am sure the program is wonderfull, I am glad it is available for those who need the service, I am happy that it works for you. But, it has nothing to do with Sat Receivers.
  14.    #14  
    I found what I think was a pretty good deal on the Xact Visor (Sirius) at Sam's Club, and bought it. It includes both the car and home kits.

In my car, the FM transmitter works very well. Much better than the two different FM transmitters I've used with my iPods (iTrip and Monster). You don't have to fiddle with the volume levels at all. Normal radio volume is your satellite volume.

Now if I could only clear up the birds nest of wires. I sense I may be calling somewhere to try and get them hardwired into my Subaru. But so far, so good...
    Have the Xact Visor (Sirius) in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler. Works great, no problems. I take the Visor in with me and listen to it at work; got a home-kit too and ran an antenna with a 50ft extension in the drop-ceiling to a window.

I disconnected the antenna on my head-unit in my Jeep so I wouldn't have any issues with local terrestial FM talking over the Sirius transmitter. The built-in FM modulator works great and allows you to select the entire FM range to transmit on, down to the decimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I too rent a lot of cars (usually two a week). My problem in choosing a Sirius receiver is how I would mount it in a rental. Are you able to take a photo of your rental car mounting set up.
    My wife has the car right now, but the Sportster has a really nice suction car mount (SP-C2). Just wet the big suction cup, push the lever down as you press against the windshield to increase the suction and pull the lever down. You will not be able to pull the thing off without releasing the lever. Here is a stock photo:

As Cardio pointed out if the area you are driving in has strong radio signals, an FM mod can be useless because they usually limit you to 4-6 radio freq. But this specific Sirius Radio has integrated digitally controlled FM Mod into the Radio itself and has a HUGE range of FM freq options. I have don't know if all freq are offered or not, but I have not hit a end of freq options before finding a free freq without a local radio station interferring yet.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Have the Xact Visor (Sirius) in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler. Works great, no problems. I take the Visor in with me and listen to it at work; got a home-kit too and ran an antenna with a 50ft extension in the drop-ceiling to a window.

I disconnected the antenna on my head-unit in my Jeep so I wouldn't have any issues with local terrestial FM talking over the Sirius transmitter. The built-in FM modulator works great and allows you to select the entire FM range to transmit on, down to the decimal.
    Now why did'nt I think of disconnecting the antenna. Thanks, will solve the problems I have.
    excuse me for live mom & dad
    excuse me for live mom & dad