1.    #1  
    Once again I turn to my fellow VC-er's for help and advice.

My wife and her partner have a small epublishing venture called Dreams Unlimited which publishes romance and erotica. It's an area that traditional print publishers don't often go, yet they seem to be doing ok.

Originally, they targeted desktop and laptop users by offering PDF files. Recently, they've started publishing for the Microsoft Reader as well (the MS Reader will be available on the upcoming eBookman from Franklin). The MS Reader actually seems to be very nice. The onscreen presentation really looks like a book, complete with artwork, table of contents, etc. Unfortunately, I don't think MS will be offering it for the PalmOS for the very obvious reasons .

I've been hounding them to get into the PalmOS arena. With the rate that handhelds are growing, it's only a matter of time before they really go mainstream and get into the hands of the masses. The problem has been finding DOC creation packages that offer at least minimal security from copying and redistribution to protect their authors rights. Currently, generic DOC formats aren't acceptable.

They've explored Memoware, PeanutPress, etc, for solutions but can't seem to find the right one. If there's anyone with some experience in this area, we'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. You can email me or my wife with any information.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Why don't you try using iSilo formated documents, wich are in essence HTML filse that are realy compressed. You'll be able to get the images in (despite the reseloution problems) I don't know what to say about distrabution, but look at http://www.jeffkirvin.com/writingonyourpalm/ and consider posting Palm things on PalmGear.

if you have any more questions, I'll see what I cand do, but you may want to look around WOYP egroup at egroups.com

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    You've got at least two issues going, what business model will work on the Palm, and what reader format will work with the business model. Seems like a secure WWW server, with access sold via subscription might be your best bet; and, with that approach, DOC files would work just fine for non-graphical content. If you want to somehow secure the document files themselves, then it looks like your going to have to work something out with PeanutPress so you can use PeanutReader.

BTW, I thought that Adobe and Palm had arranged to bundle a version of AcrobatReader into the next generation Palm. Don't know if this applies to OS 4 or OS 5. And, if it is going to be included with OS 4, will Adobe provide a stand-alone version of AcrobatReader for the Palm OS? If they can afford to wait, they might want do so; and see what happens this spring/summer.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by yucca
    Seems like a secure WWW server, with access sold via subscription might be your best bet; and, with that approach, DOC files would work just fine for non-graphical content. If you want to somehow secure the document files themselves, then it looks like your going to have to work something out with PeanutPress so you can use PeanutReader.
    Unfortuantely, they don't like either of these options. The first offers no security after the sale (a big deal to their authors), plus they do want images. The second is not economically feasible at the moment. Also, PP can't give them concrete time frames for availability.

I've suggested that they shouldn't worry too much about the security at this stage. Their PalmOS-based customers aren't, for the most part, going to be bleeding-edge techno-geeks who are going to be able to convert the DOC's back to the desktop for modification. They'll be more typical mainstream users. Using HTML and setting the files to read-only and beam-prevent status should suffice for the time being until better encryption and security comes to our beloved OS. Of course, there's still the issue of sharing the files with friends, etc.

I have to admit, I've been doing some work for them with the MS Reader and am starting to really like the format. The authoring tools are still a little rough around the edges but is has promise. What I like is the cross-platform capability (well, in the Windows world, anyway ); the same file works on both the desktop and PPC versions. And i really like to on-creen presentation... actually feels like you're reading a book.

Since the upcoming eBookman from Franklin is supposed to support MS Reader files, I'm hoping we'll see a port to the PalmOS.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Microsoft Reader was a contributing factor to my purchase of the iPaq. (in addition to many other things) But I digress.

Microsoft Reader is as easy to hack as any book, no mater how much DRM*Digital Rights Management* you have. simply take screen shots of each page (using print screen button in full page view) and feed the immages through OCR software like a normal paper book. While i don't condone that kind of stuff, it can be done.

And your right MS Reader is a great format, my only gripe about it is that it is priphiority, and that once you put a book in .lit format there is no way to undo that; but other than that it is great.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    The whole notion of applying aggressive copy protection to content is a wasted effort. Those who are determined to cheat will find ways to do so; and to distribute their ill gotten gains to others (see the GBs of warez or the Hong Kong video arcades for the futility of copy protection). If you've just got to have copy protection, something that is user friendly like PP is the way to go. Writers too often overvalue their work in their zeal to put food on their tables, but the reality is that they need to connect with what is likely to be a very small audience who have no inclination to rip the author off. They do not need to alienate what is already a too small audience with silly encryption schemes that punish their audience. Such is the case now with the "publisher grade" encryption in the desktop version of Microsoft Reader. As you know, PPC users can't play as their readers aren't compatible!

For this reason alone, MR is most definitely not the way to go, as it limits what you can legitimately do with the content that you have purchased; but I'm guessing that you are going with one of the less onerous encryption levels. I have all the content that I need just using iSilo and PP, so I'll never use MR until they get rid of the worst features of their copy protection scheme. This is a principle that I can afford!

BTW, I think that your HTML idea is the way to go. It will keep honest folk honest, and it isn't more trouble than it is worth for the customer. Another option might be TealDoc, as it does support encryption; but it is not freeware. If you are interested in the particulars, search for "Encrypting document Files" in the online manual.

[Edited by yucca on 12-27-2000 at 01:40 AM]