Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Wow. Is there no limit to your hatred of the Patriots?

He was probable last week, he is healthy this week. What's the problem? I do not see this as Belichick "consistently and visibly" lying about anything.
    Guys, first off I do NOT hate the Patriots. I rooted for them in 2 out of 3 SuperBowls, okay. (guess what the other one was). I also think Bellichick is a great coach.

So being that I don't hate the Patriots, you guys must be the biggest homers in the world not to see this. But don't take my word for it. Did you watch ESPN Countdown this morning? The analyst crew were incredulous. They reported that in observing the Pats practice this week, it was quite obvious there is something wrong with Bruschi. He did not participate in full practice and those parts he did practice in, he was not going anywhere near full speed. They said there is obviously something wrong and thought it unbelieveable that he could not be listed on the injury report. To quote one of the analysts on the show, "How can it be gameday and we not know what the injury status is of Bruschi. Doesn't this league have rules?" They also then pointed out how the Patriots did the same thing with Richard Ceymore (spelling?) earlier in the season. And that's on top of the incidents I pointed out with Dillion and Branch. Are you guys blind homers or is it that I just follow the Patriots more than you? Because if you follow them then you HAVE to know about all these incidents.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Sure, i've seen what you're saying. I've also seen it from pretty much EVERY other team in the nfl. I think being in the spotlight certainly draws more attention to it for the Patriots than for other teams at this point in time. Throughout the week I have seen mixed reports regarding Bruschi. Today, they certainly made it seem like he is still injured. If that's true, then I agree he should have been on the injury report. Earlier in the week they made him seem fine, so if that were true, he should not have been on the report. It seems like the media plays a lot of games with this sort of stuff too, so it's hard to say it is all the coach, though certainly he may be trying to squeeze out any advantage he can....as every coach should do.

I guess the bottom line is that the NFL has to choose whether or not they think rules are being broken. And if so, they need to make sure that they enforce the rules across the board, and not just choose one team to make an example.

Oh, and for the record, I think ESPN shows a huge amount of bias towards particular teams throughout the season....and their "experts" are clearly the biggest bandwagon fans in the world (with VERY few exceptions).

OK, I am getting my gameroom ready for a bunch of friends to come over and watch the fun. ENJOY THE GAMES!!!! And sorry in advance for Denver's loss!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    just a few more hours till get to discuss next weeks opponent for the pats..
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    - Albert Einstein
    Sure, i've seen what you're saying. I've also seen it from pretty much EVERY other team in the nfl. I think being in the spotlight certainly draws more attention to it for the Patriots than for other teams at this point in time. Throughout the week I have seen mixed reports regarding Bruschi. Today, they certainly made it seem like he is still injured. If that's true, then I agree he should have been on the injury report.
    Thank you that's all I wanted to hear.

Oh, and for the record, I think ESPN shows a huge amount of bias towards particular teams throughout the season....and their "experts" are clearly the biggest bandwagon fans in the world (with VERY few exceptions).
    I agree totally. I'm sick and tired of those bandwagon, kiss buttocks announcers talking about Patriotrs Dynasty this, Tom Brady better than Montana that, Bill Bellichick being taught by God how to break down film as a fetus, etc, etc. You're right on the money!! Another GOOD point!!
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    You can find out the Pat's next opponent right now if you do a google on "Patriots Schedule 2006".

GO BRONCOS!!
    And as for Brown, show me another player with his versatility and commitment to the game. Is he a superstar player? No, but he does help get the job....whatever the job happens to be....done.
    Well Troy Brown WAS a BIG factor! He got the job done tonight - if the job was fumbling in a critical situation. If it was punt returning, as I suspect, then I'm going to rate him as Needs Improvement. That was one crazy game with all the twists and momentum changes. I've never seen Denver blitz so much in a playoff game. At first I thought they just didn't respect the Pats WR's. But then it was pointed out to me that they the Broncos have put a lot of effort in assembling three really good CB's in Bailey, Williams and Foxworth. Their blitzing reflected their faith in those three guys to limit any potential big plays. Fortunately it worked this week. But unfortunately the Colts will get to see it all on film this week to prepare.

Not that it affected the game, but I think it was pretty foolhardy for Brady to say that Denver is his favorite place to play on the road. It surprised me because I never thought of Brady as a smack talker but this year he has been a lot more vocal in many ways. But did he get hit too many times last week and forget about playing on the road against the Texans and Jets?!? Did he forget being 1-3 against Denver coming into the game? I know he was just trying to pump himself up, but even Madden admits he hated playing in Denver. Better to just say nothing than something like that. But I'm glad he did because it made for good fun as everytime he got hit or the Pats turned the ball over, me and all my friends would say, "But I really love playing here!"

I give the Patriots a lot of credit though. Despite all the turnovers, they never stopped fighting as a champion should. Just as I expected they would. Congratulations on a great run by the Pats. But as Shakesphere might say, "Good night sweet prince....Parting is such sweet sorrow.", or someone else, "All good things come to an end.",
    Or about just "NA NA NA NA NA NA Hey! Hey! Hey! GOODBYE!"

And congratulations to Denver and their outstanding defensive performance. Hope Jo and the Steelers prove me wrong about tomorrow's game and Denver gets another home game.

And what the heck is up with that Colts CB who got his knee slit with a knife by his girlfriend?!? Michael Pittman would be embarrassed of you right now!

"Denver is my favorite place to play on the road."
    Yeah yeah, a pathetic offensive display by the Pats. Turnovers cost the game big time. Defensive play was good on both teams. Denver's O was really not so impressive, despite the score. Denver's much touted run game was virtually non-existent.

It was painful to watch the better team lose due to huge mistakes. They beat themselves. And if you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that's true. Denver made fewer mistakes....and benefitted from some 'questionable' calls from the refs (are you even willing to objectively discuss any of that crap?), while New England couldn't seem to hold on to the friggin ball to save their lives.

I'm not surprised to see you made no mention of Bruschi playing very well the entire game. So much for your theory on that one. But Troy was obviously a huge disappointment on that fiasco play. I'm not so sure the location of the game was a big factor, I think the Pats just had a bad night. I agree Brady didn't need to talk any smack, but I don't think that affected the game at all.

Congrats to the Broncos, but they will need to play much better offense to beat either team next week, and i don't think that will happen.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Well one of us are WAYYYYYYY off base because I think this game is going to get out of hand. Only the game will tell us which one. But I see this game going like the last one with Indy getting off to a quick start taking Pgh's running game out of the picture. Remember last game when Marvin Harrison scored an 80 yard TD against the Steelers on the first play? Hey, I like Pgh's tough style and they would have a chance in the cold of Pgh but they're playing in a dome. I think their secondary will once again show that they cannot contain the Colts WR's.
    So which one of us was WAYYYYYYY (did I use enough Y's?) off base?

And next week they will beat the Broncos too.

But since my beloved Pats are out, I now have to say....SEATTLE all the way!
    - Albert Einstein
    It was painful to watch the better team lose due to huge mistakes. They beat themselves. And if you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that's true. Denver made fewer mistakes....and benefitted from some 'questionable' calls from the refs (are you even willing to objectively discuss any of that crap?), while New England couldn't seem to hold on to the friggin ball to save their lives. .
    I will admit that the NE's handling of the football was, shall we say, very un-Patriotic. While some of that was due to sloppy play by the Pats, other turnovers were caused by big plays by Denver. Did you see that hit the PUNTER laid out on that one fumble? That punter is 220, had Lacrosse scholarship and likes to hit on special teams! And Champ Bailey's interception was spectacular athleticism. Even if he did run out of gas at the end.

As for the officiating... In regards to the Champ Bailey fumble at the end of his return, it is impossible to tell from that replay which side of the pylon that ball went out of bounds at. You would really need an overview to tell and they didn't have one. So all you can do is hope that the ref on the sideline there got it right. I can admit that the pass interference call was pretty questionable. There was some two way contact going on and I've seen stuff like that go uncalled. It was a big break for the Broncos. I'll admit that. But the best team did win the game. You can't blame the officiating. The Pats didn't and you shouldn't either. Remember Bruschi after beating the Colts last year saying, "I wonder what excuse they'll have this year." And to the Pats credit they didn't make any excuses. Bellichick summed it up best when he said that Denver just made more big plays than the Pats did. And that's what it was. A game of big plays.

I'm not surprised to see you made no mention of Bruschi playing very well the entire game. So much for your theory on that one. But Troy was obviously a huge disappointment on that fiasco play. I'm not so sure the location of the game was a big factor, I think the Pats just had a bad night. I agree Brady didn't need to talk any smack, but I don't think that affected the game at all.

Congrats to the Broncos, but they will need to play much better offense to beat either team next week, and i don't think that will happen.
    If you say Bruschi played well, I will take your word for it since I don't know what his stats were. I didn't see him make any mistakes but I didn't notice him make a huge impact on the game either like he has in previous playoff games. He seemed healthy though so I don't know what the deal is with that. But I still don't know what was wrong with Deion Branch for two months last year. So only Bellichick knows and those two players know.

The Broncos do have to play better on offense next week. I was amazed at the job the Pats did against their running game. By the end of the game Mike Anderson was ripping off some nice runs to kill the clock but I think the Pats defense was just worn down by then. At any rate they will need to get that thing going earlier the rest of the playoffs if they want to hang around.

Thanks for the congrats.
    I did not blame the officials for the loss, I blame the Pats for their mistakes. I do, however, feel that the officiating was lopsided at best, and clearly benefited the Broncos on several key plays.

I have the game Tivoed. The ball looks like it went out the end zone to me, but I agree it's pointless to argue the point without an overhead view to show it. As for the pass interference...come on, be honest here...it was clearly, and I mean CLEARLY a very bad call. And it made a HUGE difference in the game. Again, I do not blame the officials for the loss, but they certainly helped give Denver an advantage.

To me, this game was a shining example of why officiating should be challengable....of course coaches would need another 10 challenges a game! I also think that the reviews should be done by an official who is not making calls in the game, to help keep it impartial.....some don't like to overturn their own calls, as I have seen numerous times in the past few years. But this is all great substance for an entirely new thread....

Bruschi wasn't a factor? Who was stopping the Denver's running game??? He is one of the 3 key players who handled that part of the game tremendously well. True he didn't make any ESPN "Highlight" plays, but he was definitely a factor.

I still disagree that the better team won, and I don't think it's my bias (which I openly admit to having, of course). I rewatched most of the game today, and the Broncos really did not do a whole lot except capitalize on the Pats mistakes, and of course some questionable officiating. But hey, a win is a win.

The Steelers are going to easily beat Denver next week...sorry. Along with the Pats I wish them better luck next year.
    - Albert Einstein
    So which one of us was WAYYYYYYY (did I use enough Y's?) off base?

And next week they will beat the Broncos too.

But since my beloved Pats are out, I now have to say....SEATTLE all the way!
    I will HAPPILY eat the leftover crow on this one. I was ABSOLUTELY 100% WRONG and YOU WERE RIGHT. I was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off base.

I don't think I ever saw a more wild weekend of playoffs. That Colts/Steelers game at least matched the Broncos/Pats in terms of twists. The Steelers non-interception call followed by an Indy TD followed by a two fourth down conversions by the Steelers followed by Manning getting sacked on 4th down followed by Bettis fumbling followed by Vanderjagt's miss?!? You gotta be kidding me. If that was a movie, I would call it unbelievable.

You were certainly right about the Colts being rusty. The Steelers came out full throttle and did a lot of early damage. By the time Indy got into flow there was just too many points to make up. As much as I wanted Denver to get the home field by the Colts losing, I couldn't help but feel bad. Because in addition to being rusty, I can't help but suspect the team lost some focus after the tragedy of Tony Dungy's son. Things like that make you think about how unimportant other things such as football and career are compared to family. And if the Colts players lost focus with thoughts like that in their heads the last couple weeks, there's not a person who can blame them.

When the Broncos beat the Pats, I didn't think it could get any better. But it did! Now the Broncos have a home Championship game!! Can't wait. I don't look at the Steelers as the six seed anymore though. I look at them as being the 15-1 team from last year that had some injuries earlier and are back to where they were. But the Broncos are undefeated at home this year, 5-1 in championship games, and the one they lost was NOT in Denver. So I have to think they will win this game. The most interesting thing with these two teams is how the both blitzed with reckless abandon this week. I expect a defensive struggle next week.

BTW, the officials REALLY blew that Steelers interception call they overturned IMO. And I didn't think there was a man alive who could give less in a press conference after a loss than Andy Reid. But I now think the Bellichick must be Andy's role model.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 01/15/2006 at 08:12 PM.
    I did not blame the officials for the loss, I blame the Pats for their mistakes. I do, however, feel that the officiating was lopsided at best, and clearly benefited the Broncos on several key plays.

I have the game Tivoed. The ball looks like it went out the end zone to me, but I agree it's pointless to argue the point without an overhead view to show it. As for the pass interference...come on, be honest here...it was clearly, and I mean CLEARLY a very bad call. And it made a HUGE difference in the game. Again, I do not blame the officials for the loss, but they certainly helped give Denver an advantage.

To me, this game was a shining example of why officiating should be challengable....of course coaches would need another 10 challenges a game! I also think that the reviews should be done by an official who is not making calls in the game, to help keep it impartial.....some don't like to overturn their own calls, as I have seen numerous times in the past few years. But this is all great substance for an entirely new thread....

Bruschi wasn't a factor? Who was stopping the Denver's running game??? He is one of the 3 key players who handled that part of the game tremendously well. True he didn't make any ESPN "Highlight" plays, but he was definitely a factor.

I still disagree that the better team won, and I don't think it's my bias (which I openly admit to having, of course). I rewatched most of the game today, and the Broncos really did not do a whole lot except capitalize on the Pats mistakes, and of course some questionable officiating. But hey, a win is a win.

The Steelers are going to easily beat Denver next week...sorry. Along with the Pats I wish them better luck next year.
    In many ways this game seemed to me that NE was on the opposite side of a lot of the playoff games they had won in the past. You can talk all you want about the interference call or Bailey's fumble, but it's like the Raiders arguing about the tuck call. And the rest of the game reminded me of the Pats playing the part of the Rams in the Rams/Pats SuperBowl. Denver's offense did little but their defense did a lot and they capitalized on it just like the Pats did against the Rams. The officials had nothing to do with Brady throwing an INT at the goal line to Champ Bailey when NE looked like they were about to take control of the game. It was also Denver's defense that stopped the Pats on 4th on 1 earlier in the game. Just like the Rams lost due to similar plays by the Pats whose offense did little as well. If you think the Pats were better than the Broncos this year, then that means the Rams, and arguably the Raiders, were the better teams the year that the Pats won their first SuperBowl. You can't have it both ways.

And just for the record, the Broncos were 13-3 this year with much tougher division competition than what the Pats faced this year.
    I agree it was an interesting game. Lots of twists at the end, very entertaining. I though the Steelers blew it when the Bus fumbled. He must have felt like a complete ***.

And again the officials played a key role. It's unfortunate it has to be that way.

That was the second worst call I have seen in the playoffs ever. The officials were on a roll this weekend....

I hear you with regards to Dungy's loss. That's definitely a tough one. Not sure if it was a factor or not, but it certainly does put some things in perspective. You could have argued that the team would have played harder for him as a result, so to me, the effect on the game is a gray area.

The rust on the Colt's offense was not a gray area, however....they took far too long to wake up. I wish I could be this right on all my predictions....sigh.

Yeah, Bill was pretty quiet. He knows why his team lost and expects everyone else does too, so what did he really need to say? The offseason will be interesting for him though....more coaching changes and some dramatic player changes, I suspect. Should be challenging for him.
    - Albert Einstein
    In many ways this game seemed to me that NE was on the opposite side of a lot of the playoff games they had won in the past. You can talk all you want about the interference call or Bailey's fumble, but it's like the Raiders arguing about the tuck call. And the rest of the game reminded me of the Pats playing the part of the Rams in the Rams/Pats SuperBowl. Denver's offense did little but their defense did a lot and they capitalized on it just like the Pats did against the Rams. The officials had nothing to do with Brady throwing an INT at the goal line to Champ Bailey when NE looked like they were about to take control of the game. It was also Denver's defense that stopped the Pats on 4th on 1 earlier in the game. Just like the Rams lost due to similar plays by the Pats whose offense did little as well. If you think the Pats were better than the Broncos this year, then that means the Rams, and arguably the Raiders, were the better teams the year that the Pats won their first SuperBowl. You can't have it both ways.

And just for the record, the Broncos were 13-3 this year with much tougher division competition than what the Pats faced this year.
    The tuck rule? Come on. That is a lousy rule, but it was fairly called, whether Oakland likes it or not.

And actually....hang on to your hat on this one....I agree with you about the Rams. They did play better than the Pats that year, but not in the superbowl. And Oakland was arguably as good, but I don't think better. They caught a bad break on a lousy rule, but they really should stop crying that the play was called incorrectly. They should argue to change the rule, not criticize the calling of it. That's a bit different than anything I have said about last night's game.

I agree denver's defense played well, didn't I already say that? Their offense did not though. The Pats defense played very well, and their offense...well...aside from the stupid friggin turnovers...looked much better than Denver's. Again...this is a futile argument.

Yes, Denver's DIVISIONAL games were tougher than the Pats, but that's only half the season. Again...a futile argument. As they say, "on any given sunday..."

So now that I am done laughing at the colts, it's time to start rooting for Seatle. I think Alexander deserves a ring.
    - Albert Einstein
    I guess it's a matter of semantics for me. I would agree that the more talented team doesn't always win. Certainly that Rams team was one of the most talent laden offensive juggernauts ever while the Pats that season were thin at offense. But to me, the Pats were the better team because when it came crunch time the Rams made all those mistakes the Pats didn't, and the Pats made the big plays to win the game. If the Rams were the better team, they wouldn't have made all those mistakes and would not have lost. I feel the same way with Denver and the Steelers beating the Pats and Colts this weekend.

As for the tuck rule, the officials called it correctly but I think the thing about it is that no one had heard of that rule before. It was completely obscure. The refs huddled for an awful long time before deciding to invoke it from the ancient law. I just think that if you took 10 different officiating crews and put them in that same situation before that incident, I'd bet the majority of them would get that call wrong and rule it a fumble. Because it intuitively, and common sense wise, it should be a fumble. And I think it was very flukey that the refs knew enough about that rule to call it that way. That is what I think is the most amazing part of that game.

BTW, as I explained my hatred for the Raiders earlier, I love seeing that play over and over and hearing Al Davis and Raider Nation whine about it for the rest of their days!
    Yeah, what is all that nonsense about?
    Politics aside, (meaning title aside) the sox need a CF and SS. Theo is the deal closer-we'll see what he can do...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    ...the Broncos are undefeated at home this year, 5-1 in championship games, and the one they lost was NOT in Denver. So I have to think they will win this game.
    Bwuhaahahahhahahaahahahahahahhahahahahhaaaaaahahahahahaaahahhaaahahhahaaa

- Albert Einstein
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast