Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    -

Be Loyal To Yourself First

Years ago, companies offered their employees a secure and stable job, and it was common, even expected, for the employee to be loyal in return and remain with one company for much or even all of their career.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Companies change their direction all the time, and itís a very competitive world out there. If employees donít look out for themselves, no one is going to look out for them. You have to be loyal to YOURSELF these days.

The way I see it, your first responsibility is to yourself and your family. You owe it to yourself to get the best situation you can for yourself. That means in terms of money, job satisfaction, personal pride, where you live, etc. You have to go for what you want, and when it is offered to you on a platter, donít pass it up.

Staying at your present job because the people are nice isnít enough. Are the people at the other company nice? Would you be happier overall in the other job, taking into account the income, the working conditions, and all the other factors? Only you can answer that question. If you would be happier taking the job thatís being offered, I say go for it.

No one should ever spite you for doing what you think is best for you and your family.

Remember that at the end of the day, the president of the company is always going to do what's best for himself. Why shouldn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    damon came into his own during the years with the sox, and the team's success helped bring more attention to the type of player he was. a lot of good things happened for him when he was in boston.
    the least he could have done was to have given boston a counteroffer after the sox offered him $40 million. damon slapped them in the face by not even giving boston the chance to match the yank's offer of $50 mil, even after all the great things which his stint with the team ( a world series championship )brought him.
    that's a sellout. I don't know what kind of attention his ride with oakland gave him, but the least you could do is give the team that gave you great career opportunities a chance to negotiate. but hey, this is typical for today's game.
    Boston knew there were other teams interested in Damon, and they lowballed him. You don't think they knew what the Yankees were offering him before he accepted it? Of course they did! Plus, they knew what he was looking for in a deal, and they didn't give it to him. The Yankees did. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, and I definitely don't know why this makes him a sellout or how he "slapped them in the face". If Damon was so instrumental to the team and the Sox wanted him so badly, they would've come strong. They didn't. Plus, he was unhappy they let Pedro go last year and that they were looking to unload Manny this year. He didn't want to be in a Sox uniform anymore, especially if they were going to lowball his offer, so he left. He didn't **** on Ted Williams' grave, he just left. Sox fans, it's time to get over it and move on with your lives.

Again, it's not like he's the second coming of Babe Ruth. He's a decent player, that's it. You should be more upset at letting Clemens go with so much of his remarkable career still ahead of him.

If you want to vent, vent at Boston's management for putting him in the position to leave. But don't say he's a sellout when your ownership is the one who let you down.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I wonder then how damon will enjoy his new boss, who is probably the most volatile big cheese in the biz.
    if johnny doesn't perform up to par immediately, I wonder how the george, the team, the fans and the press will be. that may add up to confrontations, clubhouse tension, etc. then we'll see if the move was worth the big bucks.
    I can see moving from one company to the next if one is paying you $45,000 and the next job will pay you $100,000. or if you're going from $100,000 to $300,000. I can understand those career moves.
    but if you're ALREADY making 5 - 10 MILLION dollars or more per year, you're a big hero in the town, you're allowed to play with whatever appearance you want, and the owner isn't an obsessive compulsive control freak breathing down your neck, why is it critical to suddenly reconsider the what's best for your family? you're already a millionaire living high on the hog! is that looking out for family or is that just good old-fashioned avarice?
    sure we all want to maximize our potential incomes, but are ALL promotions worth the pay raises? we will see in johnny's case.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "You don't think they knew what the Yankees were offering him before he accepted it? Of course they did! Plus, they knew what he was looking for in a deal, and they didn't give it to him. The Yankees did. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, and I definitely don't know why this makes him a sellout or how he "slapped them in the face". If Damon was so instrumental to the team and the Sox wanted him so badly, they would've come strong. They didn't. Plus, he was unhappy they let Pedro go last year and that they were looking to unload Manny this year. "

well that's a good point. Im very upset with boston for wanting to let manny go too, and the thought had crossed my mind that damon was disillusioned after boston began letting go of their core players - pedro, now manny, etc. I can understand that perspective.
    so if they let go of manny, and end up with a second or third - rate team as a result, then I will retract my what I said earlier about damon's move being based on greed.. ill have understood his reason for leaving. I guess I can understand why he'd be fed up with boston's management when he sees the heart and soul of the team being released.

so your point is well taken.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    -

"What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions? Money." - David Aames, Vanilla Sky
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    -

"What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions? Money." - David Aames, Vanilla Sky
    Oh, so you're the one who saw that movie!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    He hasn't demanded to be traded and he never badmouthed the team (even now). TO is unique in his ability to aggrivate everyone except his agent. There is no other. :-)
    I stand corrected. Johnny Damon never aggravated everyone on his team by demanding to be traded like TO. That was Manny Ramirez. I confused them. Johnny Damon was just the one who followed the MONEY like TO.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    And BTW, I saw a Johnny Damon interview on ESPN in which he stated that Boston declined to match New York's offer. So he did give them the opportunity. I've read that they were just dead set against giving him anymore than a 3 year deal.
    Damon's actions don't warrant him being mentioned in the same sentence as TO. I don't see where that's coming from. When he berates coaches on the sidelines during games; gripes about his coach's stupidity to the press; questions the preferences of his sexually-ambiguous teammates on ESPN; orchestrates a trade, changes his mind and convinces the NFLPA and Commissioner to have the trade voided because of a "misunderstanding", then orchestrates another trade; continually complains about the number of passes thrown his way; questions the heart, intelligence, and health of his QB following the Super Bowl; snipes at his coach and QB during the offseason and beginning of the next season; demands a new contract (despite the fact that he just signed a contract!) because he feels he's already outperformed the contract he just signed (even though he hasn't); starts a fight in the locker room with the "team ambassador"; and then pouts like a 3 year old while conducting interviews doing situps in his driveway, then you can compare the two.

I'm not sure how anyone who has seen TO over the past 3 or so years can compare anyone else to him.

So how does one become a Broncos fan and an Eagles fan? Is it a bandwagon thing or what?
    I'm back!
    In Philly a person is allowed two teams in each sport as long as they are not in the same league or conference. In other words, not competitors. This is not only permissible, it is actually a necessity of sports survival being that we have four major sports teams that have shot blanks since 1983. Philly is the city that couldn't win a free prize.

I've been a Broncos fan since a kid. It had a lot to do with the Oakland Raiders beating the Eagles in SuperBowl XV at the age of 10. A fierce hatred for the silver and black became engrained in my soul. Tormenting my very being. Finally die and rot in hell Al Davis!! I then found out that the Broncos are the arch nemesis of the Raiders, hating them more than any team in the league. I said, "There's a team I can get behind!! Go Broncos!! Raiders SUCK!!"

Believe me, if I were going to pick a bandwagon, it would NOT be one driven by Jake Plummer! May as well have Ray Charles drive your taxi. How I miss Elway and his sweet torment of the Raiders. .

"The Raiders are up by six with under a minute to go. Elway is under a rush and gets away. He rolls out and throws deep. He's got a man open!! 20, 10, 5 TD!!! Elway does it to the Raiders AGAIN!! Al Davis has an agonized look on his face. How many ways can Elway and the Broncos torture Raider Nation?!? Oh the agony." ... Ahh the memories.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 01/04/2006 at 03:02 PM.
    Don't worry, Al Davis will rot in hell when he dies.
    I'm back!
    Lol
    Nice run by the Pats. But the dreams of 3-peat come to an end this weekend up at Mile High Stadium. And for all you New England players who frequent this site on your Treo, just a friendly reminder that the elevation is 5280 feet. Here's an article about high altitude and exercise. I didn't read most of it. But I read enough that is basically is saying that you're going to be gasping for air as you chase Broncos players into the endzone.

http://www.sumeria.net/oxy/altitude.html
  14.    #54  
    ok ok so the Pat's are def facing a real challenge next weekend, but there is no reason to say the Pat's will fall over and play dead just because of the elevation. Coach Belichick will prob have the team practice in a giant Oxygen tank for the next week (that was a great story about the D-line using tennis wrackets at practice last week to prepair Brady for the Jags).

Until the score is final and Brady has one lose in his playoff record, no one should count out the Pats, even if they are playing at Mile high and the Broncos have a perfect home record.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    ok ok so the Pat's are def facing a real challenge next weekend, but there is no reason to say the Pat's will fall over and play dead just because of the elevation. Coach Belichick will prob have the team practice in a giant Oxygen tank for the next week (that was a great story about the D-line using tennis wrackets at practice last week to prepair Brady for the Jags).

Until the score is final and Brady has one lose in his playoff record, no one should count out the Pats, even if they are playing at Mile high and the Broncos have a perfect home record.

Timmay
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

The Pats overcome challenges....mile high stadium is merely another obstacle. Will it be easy? Probably not. Is it impossible? No.

My predictions? Steelers beat Indy. Pats beat Broncos. Pats beat Steelers. Pats vs Seahawks for the big game. Pats win again!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    How (at least in the modern era) do you keep a winning team together year after year?
    Salary Cap
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

The Pats overcome challenges....mile high stadium is merely another obstacle. Will it be easy? Probably not. Is it impossible? No.

My predictions? Steelers beat Indy. Pats beat Broncos. Pats beat Steelers. Pats vs Seahawks for the big game. Pats win again!
    Steelers beat Indy?!?!?!?!?!? I think you must already be at Mile High breathing that thin air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Steelers beat Indy?!?!?!?!?!? I think you must already be at Mile High breathing that thin air.
    Ha! Consider that Indy does not like to be man-handled, which the Steelers will surely be prepared to do. Also consider that indy hasn't played a real game in 3 weeks. They will be rusty and the Steelers will use more than enough brute force to disrupt their timing. Indy is all about precision and timing...finesse....the Steelers are all about beating the crap out of their opponents.

Of course, this is just my view of the game...

Honestly, I would have preffered to be playing Indy this weekend so that the Pats could have the honor of kicking Indy out of the playoffs!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    You just cannot bet against the pats.. too much talent, chemistry, and history. Bill and brady always have found a way to pull it off. Im on the pats side!!! go pats!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Ha! Consider that Indy does not like to be man-handled, which the Steelers will surely be prepared to do. Also consider that indy hasn't played a real game in 3 weeks. They will be rusty and the Steelers will use more than enough brute force to disrupt their timing. Indy is all about precision and timing...finesse....the Steelers are all about beating the crap out of their opponents.

Of course, this is just my view of the game...

Honestly, I would have preffered to be playing Indy this weekend so that the Pats could have the honor of kicking Indy out of the playoffs!
    Hey Mr. Short Term Memory. Here's a link to jog your memory.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/...051128_PIT@IND

There was, "beating the crap out of their opponents", that night but it wasn't done by the Steelers. The final was Indy 26 Pitts 7. C'mon now. Just a few weeks ago we were talking about the Colts becoming the frist team ever to go undefeated. And now they're going to lose to Pittsburgh in the first round? Not likely. I have feeling this one is going to be ugly. If Carson Palmer hadn't gotten hurt, I don't even think the Steelers are playing this week IMO.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast