Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 105
  1. #21  
    First off, I hate the Skankees. Let's that get that much straight. But for $52M guaranteed, Damon ain't never going to regret signing that contract. Because let's just face it Bostonians, Johnny Damon is the Terrell Owens of baseball. What's fair is fair and just pay me my money!! The big difference is that while TO was honest about his greed, Damon just kept his mouth shut until contract time letting all of you kiss his buttocks while you were talking about what a lousy guy TO was and how you would never fall for someone like that. HA! HA! A sucker is born every minute.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2. #22  
    Damon is not TO. Damon wasn't the reason why the Red Sox didn't make it back to the series. He didn't rip them apart.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Bah. I don't care. Damon's chief draw is as a character, not as a baseball player. He has benefitted from the powerful Boston lineup and will only reap more from the Yankees nasty 2-3-4.

    I am very worried that you hit the nail on the head here...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  4. #24  
    Like TO, Damon was the reason the Red Sox won the World Series and now he just wants more money. He'll completely change who he is to get it. Shave his beard, cut his hair, become a Yankee. Heck, he'd probably change his last name and disown his mother if the Yankees threw in a fifth year. He's a heartless mercenary.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Like TO, Damon was the reason the Red Sox won the World Series...
    Last time I remember TO didn't win a world title, the Pat's did

    Bill Simmons has a great article about Johnny Damon at ESPN's Page2.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/051223

    and the emails from his readers... just fun to read.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Like TO, Damon was the reason the Red Sox won the World Series and now he just wants more money. He'll completely change who he is to get it. Shave his beard, cut his hair, become a Yankee. Heck, he'd probably change his last name and disown his mother if the Yankees threw in a fifth year. He's a heartless mercenary.
    He hasn't demanded to be traded and he never badmouthed the team (even now). TO is unique in his ability to aggrivate everyone except his agent. There is no other. :-)
  7. #27  
    Cripes, you guys are acting like he's the second coming of Babe Ruth or something. This is Johnny Damon we're talking about, right? A career .290 hitter, a supposed leadoff man with a career OBP of .353? A leadoff hitter who has more strikeouts than walks in 8 of his 11 years, and more strikeouts than RBIs in 6 of his 11 years?

    Come on, we're not exactly talking about Rickey Henderson in his prime.
    I'm back!
  8. #28  
    typical boston talk...

    Don't get pissed at the greatest professional sports franchise ever just because they were willing to pay for the 'cave man'
    1 | 2
  9. #29  
    I am no Bosten fan, but what Damon did is a unwritten law. You just dont do things like that. One of the saddest days in baseball, the evil empire continous to have it"s way
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
  10. #30  
    1. baseball is a boring, silly sport. there are 162 long, slow, boring, games in the season most of which mean nothing. it is painful and unwatchable. it has none of the strategy or excitement of football.

    2. any athlete or employee needs to do what he/she thinks is best for himself and their family. you have to be loyal to yourself and look out for yourself. and you are worth whatever you can get. i don't spite anyone for trying to cut the best deal for themselves.

    3. at the end of the day, don't take it so seriously and don't get all worked up like it's life or death. your life does not change with their outcomes. these multi-millionaire athletes don't really care about you anyway. win or lose, they're driving home in their rolls royce to their mansions.
    Last edited by Gekko; 01/01/2006 at 08:36 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    1. baseball is a boring, silly sport. there are 162 long, slow, boring, games in the season most of which mean nothing. it is painful and unwatchable. it has none of the strategy or excitement of football.

    2. any athlete or employee needs to do what he/she thinks is best for himself and their family. you have to be loyal to yourself and look out for yourself. and you are worth whatever you can get. i don't spite anyone for trying to cut the best deal for themselves.

    3. at the end of the day, don't take it so seriously and don't get all worked up like it's life or death. your life does not change with their outcomes. these multi-millionaire athletes don't really care about you anyway. win or lose, they're driving home in their rolls royce to their mansions.
    I don't agree with you on point #1 (although I do agree that the season is just too long and makes too many of the regular season games meaningless, but I also feel that the NBA and the NHL are too long as well), I somewhat agree with you on point #2, and definitely agree with you on point #3.

    I agree that you should do what's best for you and for your family, but as you mentioned in point #3, all of these guys are multi-millionaires, so it's not like if Johnny Damon doesn't get that extra $5 million, his family will go starving. Every time I hear a Latrell Spreewell or a TO drop a "I gotta feed my family" line, I want to reach into the TV and strangle him. They may have known hunger when they were growing up, but they haven't sniffed a food line in 20 years so I don't want to hear that. I do spite players who are trying to cut the best deals for themselves when they are already under a contract, like TO. If you didn't like it in the beginning, you shouldn't have signed it. Don't whine later that it's not good enough. Either you or your agent is an ***** (and in the TO/Rosenhaus case, both are), and you should probably be banned from sports for being too stupid.

    As to #3, I used to get way too worked up over FSU football games. Winning and losing was like life and death. I was lamenting an FSU loss to a friend of mine (unfortunately, a UF alum), and she said that she has a friend who refuses to bet on college football games or get worked up over them because he wouldn't allow his happiness to be based on the whims of 18 and 19 year old college kids. The same can be said about 30 year old millionaires, most of whom probably don't really care if they win or lose anyhow. Winning is nice, but they get paid regardless. Ever since then, and the birth of my kids, I've looked at football in a whole new light.

    Now, when my son grows up, he will play football.....
    I'm back!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I was lamenting an FSU loss to a friend of mine (unfortunately, a UF alum), and she said that she has a friend who refuses to bet on college football games or get worked up over them because he wouldn't allow his happiness to be based on the whims of 18 and 19 year old college kids.
    I've allowed my happiness on the whims of a few 18 and 19 year old college girls in my day...I see nothing wrong with this.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I've allowed my happiness on the whims of a few 18 and 19 year old college girls in my day...I see nothing wrong with this.
    I stand corrected.

    Let me rephrase.

    I won't allow my happiness to be based on the whims of 18 and 19 year old college boys.

    What was I thinking???
    I'm back!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    1. baseball is a boring, silly sport. there are 162 long, slow, boring, games in the season most of which mean nothing. it is painful and unwatchable. it has none of the strategy or excitement of football.

    2. any athlete or employee needs to do what he/she thinks is best for himself and their family. you have to be loyal to yourself and look out for yourself. and you are worth whatever you can get. i don't spite anyone for trying to cut the best deal for themselves.

    3. at the end of the day, don't take it so seriously and don't get all worked up like it's life or death. your life does not change with their outcomes. these multi-millionaire athletes don't really care about you anyway. win or lose, they're driving home in their rolls royce to their mansions.
    I agree with everything you say with one small annotation on point number 3. At the end of the day it doesn't change your life but it can change your emotional well being. People don't get worked up over sports because it's so great. They get worked up over it because it is a welcome escape from all the crap that they have to put up with in their own lives. It's a lot more honest to see two football teams go at it with each other to determine who is the best on the field than it is to have to keep your mouth shut for 8 hours a day and convince your ***** boss, who only got his job through cronyism and would be lucky if he were half as smart as you, that you really like him and are confident in his leadership. So from that standpoint, rooting for the Eagles and chanting Dallas S*cks is a lot more healthy than telling your boss to go to Iraq and losing your job. That is the point of sports. The opium of the people.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  15. #35  
    I am a boston sports fan and i live here as well. I guess the thing is most of the people here take sports too personaly. Like jonny said *sc$#W you* to us all and left. Instead he just got a better offer from another team. The fact that it was the yankees was a little more salt in the wound but hey, what are ya gonna do. He has one of the weakest arms in the AL and he wasnt worth the 52mil he was offered. we saved that money and can hopefully put it towards better players. I guess im just a realist when it come to home town sports. He isnt going to be worth that XX mil a year 3 years from now and then teh yanks are gonna have to eat that cost to get rid of him so i think we a re better off.
  16. #36  
    Was Johnny also a sellout when he left Oakland and signed with Boston? Just wondering...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Was Johnny also a sellout when he left Oakland and signed with Boston? Just wondering...
    Apparently not.

    In that one, he WENT to Boston. This time he's LEAVING Boston.

    He's apparently a pig for LEAVING Boston. See the difference?
    I'm back!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Apparently not.

    In that one, he WENT to Boston. This time he's LEAVING Boston.

    He's apparently a pig for LEAVING Boston. See the difference?
    It's not just the fact that he left boston, but he followed the money trail to NY... in Boston, it's unforgivable...

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    It's not just the fact that he left boston, but he followed the money trail to NY... in Boston, it's unforgivable...

    Timmay
    Yeah, I know, it's not like Boston's never not ponied up for a guy and then he eventually landed in NY. There's a track record for this.

    I remember a guy named Clemens used to be able to walk on water in Boston. Then, around 30, he was apparently too old and sucked and Boston just wouldn't give him what he deserved. And he eventually went to NY and tormented the Sox. How many Cy Youngs did he win or was in consideration for since he was too old for Boston?
    I'm back!
  20. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #40  
    damon came into his own during the years with the sox, and the team's success helped bring more attention to the type of player he was. a lot of good things happened for him when he was in boston.
    the least he could have done was to have given boston a counteroffer after the sox offered him $40 million. damon slapped them in the face by not even giving boston the chance to match the yank's offer of $50 mil, even after all the great things which his stint with the team ( a world series championship )brought him.
    that's a sellout. I don't know what kind of attention his ride with oakland gave him, but the least you could do is give the team that gave you great career opportunities a chance to negotiate. but hey, this is typical for today's game.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions