1.    #1  
    I just bought a new laptop, the very portable Sony TX670. This thing is so small at 2.75 pounds compared to my older 8+ pound laptop which kills my shoulders. It' so cool to be able to hook up my Treo 650 to my new portable Sony laptop, and have internet connection using PdaNet. I swear I'm getting faster internet speed with the laptop/Treo combination versus using the Treo by itself. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using a USB cord with PdaNet, because it works so simply and reliably every time. However, I still cannot figure out how to do this using Bluetooth, even though I also have the Sprint firmware 1.12 upgrade with BT DUN. The new Sony TX laptops now have a built-in SD card reader (in addition to their stupid Sony memory stick reader). This means I can now easily transfer files/apps back and forth between my Sony laptop and Treo 650. The laptop also has a built-in connection for Cingular wireless, but since I don't have Cingular it's useless. This may be useful for others with a Cingular account. Too bad there's no other choice but Cingular for this laptop. My other consideration for a small laptop is the tiny Toshiba Libretto. However this model has no built-in CD/DVD drive, which is a necessity for me. My Sony TX670 has a dual layer DVD burner, which is so cool because I can now burn full length movies if I want. Only downside was the price of this puppy...$2500 plus tax. Oh well, I always buy presents for myself that I truly want, since I can't ask anyone else to shell out that amount. Merry Christmas to myself!
    Sony has some nice machines. My work gave me a Sony Vaio FS 690. It's a nice machine but I wish I was a manger or higher so i could get a S480 with Bluetooth and a smaller package.

btw i haven't used PDA NET since I got a Treo 650 with BT... seams like a waste of money to me, but that's just me.

DL DVD burner is def a nice touch on an ultra portable.

Does your Sony TX have a cell modem built in? i thought they they had a Cingular EDGE radio or a CDMA EDVO.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  3.    #3  
    Yes, it has a Cingular modem built into it, which is worthless to me since I use Sprint. I even had to delete the Cingular modem application because it kept popping up everytime Windows booted up, which was extremely annoying.

You don't use PdaNet with your Treo/Laptop combination? Is that because you have BT DUN instead of PdaNet, or you just don't use this function at all?

That's really cool your company gives you a laptop. I've never worked anywhere that did that!
    I use BT DUN when I need it (which is not too often). I found the settings i needed at HowardForum.com and with a few guesses and tricks I had full dun working on my Sony and my Powerbook.

Well my entire company uses laptops except the Finanace department and contactors. When i started I had a Sony Vaio A130, it was the only laptop i've had that i could have beat someone to death with it was so damn heavy. So I had a friend hook me up with a FS 690 . It's very nice.

Sux that you cannot use the GSM modem... may be worth your money to pickup a pre-paid SIM card. There are a few sites that will show you how to unlock the modem so you can use any SIM card.

Timmay

---------------------
    EDIT:
    Here's how to unlock your laptop
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 12/21/2005 at 03:39 PM.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your link on unlocking your laptop. One of these days, I'm gonna figure out how to use BT DUN, as I've saved various how-to articles on this topic. But for now, it's soooooo easy to simply plug in a USB cord from the Treo to my laptop. I bought a special short 8" USB cord from TreoCentral just for this purpose. Also, as I understand it, the USB cord is probably more reliable than BT for a solid connection, and it probably drains the battery less on the Treo too.

If I had to use a laptop as a bullet proof vest, I would probably choose the same one you mentioned. The TX670 model (new generation) has a very thin and flexible screen panel that almost worries me. The advertisement says it's made of extra strong carbon-fiber, but it still freaks me out a little that a screen panel actually flexes and bends! Go try this out yourself and you'll be surprised!
    bt does drain the battery on both my laptop and my phone. BT DUN is not easy on the Treo. You have to got into the bluetooth setting and change to DUN mode while my SE T68i is wicked easy. I never have to take it out of my pocket.

I used PDA net with a retractable cable on my Treo 180, 270, and 600. And it is a little more reliable then BT but i couldn't justify the upgrade price when I got my 650.

Have fun with the laptop! I would have a tough time choice between that one, and the Thinkpad T42. If i had that kind of money...

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about