Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Seems a bit tangential eh?
    No more so than the students story.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    As a person wanting to kill, knowing how to use a firearm and not having one is not lethal.

When we start saying knowledge is dangerous, oh, what a slippery slope we're into then.
    Too broad a brush there. SOME kinds of knowledge are dangerous.

I've studied Communism. That knowledge is not dangerous.
    I've read passages from the Koran. That knowledge is not dangerous.
    I've studied hand-to-hand combat. That knowledge does make me dangerous.
    If I knew the names of undercover agents operating within Al Qaeda, that knowledge would be really dangerous (to me and others).

It's not just what is done with the knowledge that counts. Just the having of it (even before doing anything about it) can be dangerous.

(It can get you kicked out of a pretty cool garden...)

Believe me, there are SOOOO many things that we are better off not knowing (laws, sausages, and some spec ops, oh boy). That does not relieve a responsible citizen from learning as much as possible about his/her government's actions, however.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    this is just incidental, but didn't another rather huge " leak " take place under richardson's watch before several years back? what's going on, bill?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    As a person wanting to kill, knowing how to use a firearm and not having one is not lethal.

When we start saying knowledge is dangerous, oh, what a slippery slope we're into then.
    If I understand your point, I agree that knowledge is not inherently dangerous. My statement was intended to demonstrate that any entity, material or intellectual, can be used to inflict harm. On that basis, they are equal.

If I had a loaded gun and the knowlwedge to use it, you would be under no greater threat in my presence than if I did not have a gun.

However, if someone seeking your harm had a loaded gun and the knowledge to use it, you would be under greater threat in his/her presence than if s/he did not have the gun.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12