Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Remember said student was only visited (with probable cause) after said book was watched (source of probable cause)

This is all pretty simple stuff!

I don't think there is more to come. Judging by the amount of text (I didn't bother to read it all) in DA's post, I think that's the best he's got.... Watching a book!
    That is not probable cause. At best it is a fishing expedition, at worst it is thought police.

It is exactly these "false positives" that put the citizen in the position of having to prove his innocence that we fear. We fear being spied on by our librarian. A student should not have to justify himself to the agents of the king because he is diligent in fulfiling an assignment.

In any case, what part of illegal do you not understand? One must demonstrate probable cause before engaging in surveillance. You have to name your subject before receiving a warrant.

As to "don't think there is more to come," it is clear that you do not read the Newspaper of Record. You must not even watch Fox News. There have been so many reports in the last ten days, beginning with the surveillance of the Florida Quakers and ending with http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051224/...vesdropping_dc that it is hard to keep up.

Do you understand the difference between a de jure war declared by the Congress and a de facto war merely asserted by one who is exercising arbitrary powers in its name? Do you understand the difference between rule of law and rule of men? Do you understand that the Rule of Law is essential to that American exceptionalism of which you are so proud? What would it profit us to get rid of Saddam Hussein and replace him with an autocrat of our own? Do you fear even tens of thousands of terrorists more than the unleashed government of the US?

Now do not get me wrong. I am no longer in this game. I am so old that I do not even fear the IRS, much less DHS. I leave no progeny, no hostages to fortune. You on the other hand, I do fear for you. You had better be careful about the security that you ask for; you might just get it.
    The interesting thing about this is that the fake accusations make the real ones all that much harder to spot. I remember something about a boy and a wolf...
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    That is not probable cause. At best it is a fishing expedition, at worst it is thought police.

It is exactly these "false positives" that put the citizen in the position of having to prove his innocence that we fear. We fear being spied on by our librarian. A student should not have to justify himself to the agents of the king because he is diligent in fulfiling an assignment.
    As I understand it, It wasn't just the looking at the book that spawned the interest. It was compounded with visits to hostile countries.
    In any case, what part of illegal do you not understand? One must demonstrate probable cause before engaging in surveillance. You have to name your subject before receiving a warrant.
    I am absolutely positive that the BOOK (remember it was the book being watched) was listed as suspect WAY BEFORE it was ever watched as for having probable cause to watch said book? I think that it self evident even to you!!

As to "don't think there is more to come," it is clear that you do not read the Newspaper of Record. You must not even watch Fox News. There have been so many reports in the last ten days, beginning with the surveillance of the Florida Quakers and ending with http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051224/...vesdropping_dc that it is hard to keep up.
    I am sure there are tons of things being watched or listened to. My comment (WICH BTW WAS SIX OR SEVEN DAYS AGO) was based on the question to DA about who has been "Harmed" by the watching/listening. The point was that DA wasn't able to google anymore info at that time.

Do you understand the difference between a de jure war declared by the Congress and a de facto war merely asserted by one who is exercising arbitrary powers in its name? Do you understand the difference between rule of law and rule of men? Do you understand that the Rule of Law is essential to that American exceptionalism of which you are so proud? What would it profit us to get rid of Saddam Hussein and replace him with an autocrat of our own? Do you fear even tens of thousands of terrorists more than the unleashed government of the US?

Now do not get me wrong. I am no longer in this game. I am so old that I do not even fear the IRS, much less DHS. I leave no progeny, no hostages to fortune. You on the other hand, I do fear for you. You had better be careful about the security that you ask for; you might just get it.
    The truth of the matter is that for the majority of my life, I have been pretty politically indifferent. However John Kerry single handedly made me a Republican, and people like DA reinforce it every damn day!!

Da, Haven't you been preaching that our existence in Iraq actually gives the nice peaceful loving people a reason to be terrorist? I can almost grasp what your saying, because every time I read these conspiracy theory posts, I cant wait to go out and vote for WHOEVER isn't Democrat!!!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345