Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    If my memory serves, those responsible were from Saudi Arabia.
    yes braniac, but they planned and executed their plan here.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Did it not occur to you that the key word in your post is FROM.

They were from Saudi Arabi. They were not IN Saudi Arabia. Why do such elemental facts need to be pointed out?
    Hey, I'm just saying foreign intel efforts are needed as well. Also, I'm pretty sure they did not have citizenship. I am not opposed to surveillence of non-citizens beyond the protections afforded to US citizens. Rounding people up in the street though might be a bit extreme.

Edited to add, perhaps decent intel at the source would have nipped this in the bud.
    Again, I want to be careful of repeating past abuses of that type of infiltration. Also, since I don't believe much of this is originating from within the US, (except Timothy McVeigh & Eric Rudolph) infiltration closer to the originating source would be best.
    I can appreciate concerns. I agree original planning may be taking place on foriegn sole, but the preparations of attacks on our homeland often takes place here. It may be individuals organized in a domestic cell in a foreign terror organization or it may a sponsored event by a States founded organization. How would you monitor in state side activities dealing with preparing for a terror attack? Or do not monitor domestic sources of terror?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I can appreciate concerns. I agree original planning may be taking place on foriegn sole, but the preparations of attacks on our homeland often takes place here. It may be individuals organized in a domestic cell in a foreign terror organization or it may a sponsored event by a States founded organization. How would you monitor in state side activities dealing with preparing for a terror attack? Or do not monitor domestic sources of terror?
    You know, it seems to me that I remeber someone who attempted or even completed flying lessons here in the good ol USofA and all they wanted to do was fly, not take off or land. Boy that would have been nice to know around the first of Sept. But gotta protect the rights of the individual they may get their feelings hurt.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Again, I want to be careful of repeating past abuses of that type of infiltration. Also, since I don't believe much of this is originating from within the US, (except Timothy McVeigh & Eric Rudolph) infiltration closer to the originating source would be best.
    No mention of the Weather Underground and their Leftist and violent ilk. (What was the name of the couple lionized for their violence against the government by the NYT on 9/11/01?)

Typical.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Freedom and privacy mean nothing if you are dead. ...
    Nice meme, what was that old saying? Oh...........yeah..................... 'give me liberty or give me death'.
    You people do realize that it was the BOOK being monitored, not the student- Don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Nice meme, what was that old saying? Oh...........yeah..................... 'give me liberty or give me death'.
    Have any of you liberals named a specific civil liberty violation or infringement on YOUR freedoms yet since 2001? I would love to hear some.

back to the initial post re the UMass Dartmouth student. Does the course of action taken really bother you- what should have been done- nothing?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  9.    #69  
    I'm sorry for being repetitive but I was still hoping for an example of an actual civil liberty abuse due to the Patriot Act.

List so far:
    1. Watching a book and visiting a college student

Are there others? This is the most diverse population of political thoughts that I know of and was hoping for some good discussion here.

Thanks!
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    I'm sorry for being repetitive but I was still hoping for an example of an actual civil liberty abuse due to the Patriot Act.

List so far:

Are there others? This is the most diverse population of political thoughts that I know of and was hoping for some good discussion here.
    As I said previously, don't hold your breath.

I am skeptical the one weak example that was given ever actually happened.
    ocrat President the Patriot Act would not be controversial.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad

List so far:

Thanks!
    Remember said student was only visited (with probable cause) after said book was watched (source of probable cause)

This is all pretty simple stuff!

I don't think there is more to come. Judging by the amount of text (I didn't bother to read it all) in DA's post, I think that's the best he's got.... Watching a book!
    And again I have to copy this quote from daT's tale of govt oppression:

"Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."

I don't get tired of reading it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    And again I have to copy this quote from daT's tale of govt oppression:

"Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."

I don't get tired of reading it.
    Guess I should have read it.
    While you're mulling over the pros and cons of the so called Patriot Act, keep this in mind:

Agents' visit chills UMass Dartmouth senior

NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome on Communism called "The Little Red Book."
    Two history professors at UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and Robert Pontbriand, said the student told them he requested the book through the UMass Dartmouth library's interlibrary loan program.
    And while you're mulling over that, keep in mind that it is a big fat lie.

Please remember that contrary to what you think, not everyone that disagrees with you is evil and not everyone you back is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    And while you're mulling over that, keep in mind that it is a big fat lie.
    Always nice to have follow up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Please remember that contrary to what you think, not everyone that disagrees with you is evil and not everyone you back is good.
    I'm intrigued that you feel you know my thoughts. Also, I rarely attribute someone with being "evil".
    Even for your Adolph Bush's Govt that seemed like a fake. Keep googling I'm sure you'll come up with another talking point.

I'm intrigued that you feel you know my thoughts. Also, I rarely attribute someone with being "evil".
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Keep googling I'm sure you'll come up with another talking point.
    Oh yes. We've only just begun.
    The evil left...Merry Christmas or Happy Atheists day!

Oh yes. We've only just begun.

I am sure that GWB is "well intentioned." That is part of the problem.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast