1.    #1  
    This is really off topic. I have a Samsung 55" rear projection HD television I bought from Circuit City about 4 years ago. It suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. Completely blank screen. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Maybe it needs a replacement tube? This thing weighs 150 pounds, so I can't simply take it to the repair shop.

Thanks, CC.
    Often times the extreme heat from projection tvs will cause solder connections to get brittle and break. There really isnt any one particular area you should look in. You can lightly tap around on the boards to see if you get a picture (come and go) if so re-solder all the spots in that area.

You may need some parts, but its not likely.
    RPTV uses 3 CRT guns to produce the image. It is highly unlikely that all 3 bulbs went at the same time. I think that SXTG has come up with a likely cause.

I would just bite the bullet and get a tech to take look. Really high dangerous voltages in these things....
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    RPTV uses 3 CRT guns to produce the image. It is highly unlikely that all 3 bulbs went at the same time. I think that SXTG has come up with a likely cause.

I would just bite the bullet and get a tech to take look. Really high dangerous voltages in these things....
    YES extremely DEADLY voltages. I forgot to mention that

BTW techs will come to your house
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys,

I've set an appointment to have a service tech look at it today. This is the first time I've ever had a TV blank out on me, and I've had many over the years.
  6.    #6  
    I got my TV fixed yesterday. There was something wrong with the power unit located inside. Ended up costing me $275 total. Don't know if that's a good price or not, considering the TV cost was only $1400 new. Anyway, the local repair guy was fast and competent, so that in itself was worth something extra. I ended up choosing the local repair shop because they only charged a $25 house call inspection fee, whereas Circuit City wanted to charge me $99. There certainly was no cost advantage having bought the TV from Circuit City and trying to get repair service from them!
    $275 isn't TOO killer. Glad to hear you are back uo and running. It sounds like he changed out a part- not just a resolder. Obviously that is going to be more costly.

Circuit City sent me a extended warrenty card for a rptv I bought in August. It was outragously expensive! I dont know who they are kidding.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Circuit City sent me a extended warrenty card for a rptv I bought in August. It was outragously expensive! I dont know who they are kidding.
    Sound Advice actually included 3 years of free maintenance when I bought my Mits 55" RPTV from them. They'd call and say it was time for the maintenance visit and schedule it, come out, vacuum out the box and realign the guns. It was a great benefit that came free with the TV.
    I'm back!
    Wow- I will keep that in mind for next time. We have tweeter up here- but I am sure it is the same.
    Wow- I will keep that in mind for next time. We have tweeter up here- but I am sure it is the same.
    Probably, they're owned by the same company. I don't know what the deal with the free maintenance was, but I loved the fact that the TV got cleaned and checked out every year for the first 3 years.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Sound Advice actually included 3 years of free maintenance when I bought my Mits 55" RPTV from them. They'd call and say it was time for the maintenance visit and schedule it, come out, vacuum out the box and realign the guns. It was a great benefit that came free with the TV.
    I bought mine from Good Guy's and they ended up giving me a 5 year plan to close the sale. After less than a year one of the guns went out, the replacement took over 3 weks because a technician went on vacation. Good Guy's brought out a new Mits 55" upgraded system because of the hassel. At that point I decided all future electronics would be bought there. Comp-USA just bought them out and closed the store They had the best customer service.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I bought mine from Good Guy's and they ended up giving me a 5 year plan to close the sale. After less than a year one of the guns went out, the replacement took over 3 weks because a technician went on vacation. Good Guy's brought out a new Mits 55" upgraded system because of the hassel. At that point I decided all future electronics would be bought there. Comp-USA just bought them out and closed the store They had the best customer service.
    Wow. That's some serious customer service.
    I'm back!
    jmill72x,

You like the PSP huh? I think I may have one waiting under the tree- Looks really cool
    jmill72x,

You like the PSP huh? I think I may have one waiting under the tree- Looks really cool
    Yeah, I love my PSP. I traded in my Xbox for it, it's much more convenient. I wasn't always able to sit in front of the big screen and play on the Xbox for a few hours, but I can usually find time to get in some PSP action.

I do have serious Xbox 360 envy though......

It was a PSP Christmas for me too. I got a 1GB Pro Duo (for movies), X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (so far a really good game), and a Logitech Playgear Street case to tote my PSP around with.

Did you get it for Christmas? I can give you some recommendations on games and gear if you did.
    I'm back!