Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    if you were going to buy a flat panel hdtv, which one would it be?

    which one wouldnt you buy?

    about $2,000
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  2. #2  
    I am toying with the idea of the Panasonic 42 inch flat screen (non-HDTV) for $1,300.

    I know HDTV is fabulous. But $1,300 for a top of the line and large flat screen may be too much to pass up.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenft
    I am toying with the idea of the Panasonic 42 inch flat screen (non-HDTV) for $1,300.

    I know HDTV is fabulous. But $1,300 for a top of the line and large flat screen may be too much to pass up.

    LINK PLEASE
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  4. #4  
    If you're getting something big (>40 inches), go HD.

    I equate it to the difference between 160x160 on the T600 and 320x320 on the 650 - if you only have the old one it seems okay, but once you've lived with HD (or 320x320) you'd never consider going back. Ever. Period.

    I went with a Panasonic PT 60LC14 back in June that ran me about $2400 shipping included from an online retailer - may be out of stock now.

    I'd recommend using CNET.com to investigate a few things:
    - rear projection vs. true flat screens (for $2K you'll probably be in the rear projection zone, which is what I've got and am happy with - I'll take the larger area in exchange for an 18" depth)
    - Plasma vs. LCD
    - 1080p resolution vs. 480p resolution (for $2K you'll probably end up with 480p, which aint bad)

    take your time, shop and compare - but be ready for buyers' remorse, cause just like PCs or phones, whatever you buy will be cheaper or outdated in 6 months - ce la vie.
  5. #5  
    we bought a 42 inch genuine panaphonic (Simpson's reference) plasma (EDTV...not HD but close enough) last year for around 3 grand so probably around 2 this year. Love it. Model # TH-42PD25
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6. #6  
    I am not at home right now to quote the models, but we bought our 50 inch with stand, 4 yr insurance, and free surround system for a total, with tax, at around $2400....but that was a major sale about 8 months ago. We then just bought a 42 inch Plasma TV at Circuit City with remote controlled turning stand, wall mount, 60 hour Tivo with recordable DVD player, 4 yr insurance, with taxes for around $3000.

    The key to saving hundreds of dollars or getting a bigger or better TV for the same $ is to shop around and take good notes. I first went to Sony Only and got a quote on my top 3 choices of TVs, wall mounts, stands, and insurance options. Make sure you get the exact models and pricing of everything. Get the name and number of the person you talked to in case you need to call for verification or any other questions.

    Then go to Circuit City and Best Buy and do the same, but share what you were already offered. Everytime, they have matched everything. We saved about $1,200 at Circuit City with deal I mentioned above doing this. They not only matched Best Buys price but knocked off an extra $250 off on top of that. They matched Sony Only's wall mount, saving another $300. They matched Sonly Only's insurance pricing, another $400. Then to make sure that they could match the insurance price they had to knock off another nearly $100. When I said that I was just going to go Radio Shack to get the cables, he knocked off 38% off all the cables, not a small chunck of change.

    It pays to shop around, take good notes, don't be afraid to ask, and make them win your business.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    LINK PLEASE
    Looks like all the prices went up a few hundred bucks because of Christmas week. I saw this one last week offered for $1,350 plus shipping.
  8. #8  
    Check out Yahoos' comparison as well.
  9. #9  
    Costco is a great (and surprising) choice for large expensive HD plasma shopping. They carry many name brands and their website also delivers to your home.

    As long as you are a member ($45 per year), you can return the TV at ANY time for ANY reason for a full refund or store credit. No time limit. No questions asked. Period.

    Check out costco.com or do a google search on their return policy for more details.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    As long as you are a member ($45 per year), you can return the TV at ANY time for ANY reason for a full refund or store credit. No time limit. No questions asked. Period.

    Check out costco.com or do a google search on their return policy for more details.
    I never realized this. I know computers have a 6 month limit, but I thought other electronics where subject to 90 days or something like that.
  11. #11  
    Wait until you can swing the HD set. It will be well worth it.

    Also plasma is essentially dead. Sony has decided to stop manufacturing them. LCD is superior in almost every way including no burn in, much more efficient, superior refresh rates etc. Even the black level performance is getting better.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  12. #12  
    This is the first I have heard of this. When I was shopping, every LCD screen I looked at was hard to view from angles, where the Plasmas didn't matter.
  13. #13  
    The return policy is both good and bad. It's good if you are the buyer, and want to return the product. It's bad if you are the prospective buyer, and there is only one last item in stock, which was previously used and returned. Last time I visited a Costco store, I considered buying a Breitling Aerospace wrist watch that normally costs over $2,000 anywhere else, but Costco had it for about $1700. The one big problem was that it was the one last item in stock in their display case, and it was so obviously used with scratches and marks on it. So essentially, for that particular item, you are really paying a discounted price for a used item. I passed on it.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    if you were going to buy a flat panel hdtv, which one would it be?

    which one wouldnt you buy?

    about $2,000
    Check out CNET. Great resource. Flat 37s: four 37-inch panels compared.

    Also, you might want to register in the http://www.avsforum.com AVS forum. They have a specific forum for Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays. A very good place to ask.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This is the first I have heard of this. When I was shopping, every LCD screen I looked at was hard to view from angles, where the Plasmas didn't matter.
    A flat panel LCD monitor will typically rate good to very good in regards to viewability at extreme angles. A plasma will rate excellent. So you are correct. However, I would not weight this heavily in a buying decision unless you have a unique setup that calls for sitting at these akward angles.

    LCD is clearly the future. Samsung has a manufacturing process down and is yielding them the size of queen size beds. The problem was before that they were extremely expensive but that is changing due to better practives on the manf floors.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I never realized this. I know computers have a 6 month limit, but I thought other electronics where subject to 90 days or something like that.
    You're right - it is indeed 6 months on desktop and laptop computers. There are also other limited items that can't be returned - items that have been in contact with blood (blood glucose meters, syringes) and other extrodinary items, like tires, coffins, and funeral urns. But those are the exception, not the rule.

    Everything else can be returned months or years later from what I understand (even food!). Weird.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    A flat panel LCD monitor will typically rate good to very good in regards to viewability at extreme angles. A plasma will rate excellent. So you are correct. However, I would not weight this heavily in a buying decision unless you have a unique setup that calls for sitting at these akward angles.

    LCD is clearly the future. Samsung has a manufacturing process down and is yielding them the size of queen size beds. The problem was before that they were extremely expensive but that is changing due to better practives on the manf floors.
    It may be the future, but I am not going to wait for it right now. I could handle having a TV wall, but for now our last purchase the Plasma TVs were cheaper and better view angle which for our Bedroom setting.

Posting Permissions