1.    #1  
    Is anyone using this? If so, is it any good and worth the 39.99/mo? Also, if I were to go for it, what would I need in terms of a firewall or security software?

They're running a special with free installation and 2 months of free service (a 229.00 savings). I'd like to try it (on their nickel) but am worried about the security.

I know this has been discussed to some extent but I can't for the life of me find it.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I don't have it, but would LOVE to.

I have three friends that have it and would not give it up. I live in the middle of know where and don't even have cable TV here. I have Satellite. Waiting to here how the Satellite Internet Services are and might try that my self. But if the price is not out of line for you, go for it. Like I said, wish I had it.

As far as firewall software I have set them all up with Zonealarm. Works great. http://www.zonelabs.com
    High speed internet is good. Period.

The question is if the provider is any good. ATT is OK, from what I hear. Unfortunately, you don't hear about any GOOD providers, because there aren't any.

As far a security, the only concern is that you have an always-on connection. You are basically just another machine on their ethernet network (an oversimplification, but you get the idea).

So, you should run some firewall software on your machine. Depending on the type of Modem they give you, you may end up with an actual router, which will allow you to run some security features.

You could also purchase a firewall.

Or, you could just leave it as is and password protect your system. If some really wanted to, they could still get in, but most people looking to break into a computer would most likely choose an easier target or a more interesting target (not that you are not interesting... )
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer
    (not that you are not interesting... )
    My wife tells me I'm not all the time!!! Something about giving my Visor more attention than her! I haven't a clue what she's talking about!

On a more serious note, would I be better off buying my own cable modem? It reduces the monthly fee to 29.99 and I've heard of some units that combine the modem, hub, and firewall all in one.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Is anyone using this? If so, is it any good and worth the 39.99/mo? Also, if I were to go for it, what would I need in terms of a firewall or security software?

They're running a special with free installation and 2 months of free service (a 229.00 savings). I'd like to try it (on their nickel) but am worried about the security.

I know this has been discussed to some extent but I can't for the life of me find it.
    I currently am a @home user and am very happy with the speed. Average download speeds 100 to 300 kbps. I use ZoneAlarm and Blackice Defender. ZoneAlarm has to authorize any program wanting access to the internet and Blackice protects you from the outside, it tells you when someone is probing you, when and what ports. It can even automatically block them. I have been scanned every so often but have never had a breach. I'm also using a Linksys DSL router with NAT which gives me another level of protection.

I love the speed I get from @home. I only have to problems One the mail is down about 25%-%50. Two the acceptable use policy does not allow you to have your own servers ie(mail, dns, webserver).

I am currently trying DSL and I have to say that my download speeds are nowhere near the cable modems. My subscription is 608/128 with DSL. Usually 30 to 40 kbps. But the advantage is they don't care what servers you put up.

Should you buy a cable modem? I would say that if you are not going to move for a year or two to get the savings out it. Also be careful if you live in an apartment complex, had a buddy who the cable wiring in the building was not up to par and was not able to get it working, it took them about two months before they decided that they couldn't get it to work. Would hate for you to be stuck with a modem you can't use.

That's my two cents.

Originally posted by MarkEagle
    On a more serious note, would I be better off buying my own cable modem? It reduces the monthly fee to 29.99 and I've heard of some units that combine the modem, hub, and firewall all in one.
    Yes. Cable internet is here to stay, so you will get your money back if you buy the modem/etc.. Oh, and use Netscape. Using Internet Explorer (or their @Home browser) routes your access through a central computer in your area, while using Netscape gives the direct access (and hence the speed) of cable. That may not be a big deal where you're at, but using Internet Explorer routes the entire east half of SD through one computer in Sioux Falls. That slows the connection down to slower than a 28.8 modem.

[Edited by ****-richardson on 12-19-2000 at 02:27 AM]
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.