Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 151
  1.    #1  
    Report lists nations detaining journalists

    Guess who's #1? Excerpt:
    ...China had more jailed journalists than any other country for the seventh straight year, with 32, the committee said. Nearly half those cases involved online journalists....


    I implore everyone during this heavy shopping season to please be aware of whether or not you are buying a product made in China and if you could buy the equivalent made in the US that would be GREAT. If not made in the US then somewhere other than China.
  2. #2  
    China gets away with way too much. Pretty tough to buy toys these days without that 'Made in China'. I wish I invented that sticker.
  3. #3  
    I would support ya Da on this one.....though truthfully I am already done with my Christmas shopping and I don't even know where the stuff I already bought are from....half the stuff doesn't even say on the box does it?

    They are not playing by the international economic rules, putting us at a huge disadvantage.

    Plus they are the nation with the fast military growth rate in the world at the moment for who knows what for.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    They are not playing by the international economic rules, putting us at a huge disadvantage.
    What do you mean regarding ecomic rules broken?

    Regarding human rights, unfortunately the US have lost a lot of their moral high ground, with US agents kidnapping also innocent people all over the world and "exporting" them to third countries for "special" treatment and detaining hundreds without access to lawyers and without trial for years.
    Last edited by clulup; 12/14/2005 at 02:36 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5. #5  
    Clulup you are warped. The differences between the two countries are massive and undeniable. Your hatred of America stands out once again.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Clulup you are warped. The differences between the two countries are massive and undeniable. Your hatred of America stands out once again.
    And you can't even distinguish criticising certain aspects of the present government's policies and hatred? How sad. A surprisingly narrow-minded approach.

    Besides, I know there are large and undeniable differences between China and the US. But it is still sad how quickly you stop caring about human rights and laws when you assume you can take advantage of violating them - and your own laws.

    Many European countries have a history of terrorism, too (Rote Armee Fraktion, IRA, ETA), but none of those countries started kidnapping people and fly them to foreign places where the own law does not apply any more, so that one could handle them however one pleases.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    But it is still sad how quickly you stop caring about human rights and laws when you assume you can take advantage of violating them - and your own laws.
    You should know, in that your own country, inspite of its recent constitutional changes and other laws, still is a hotbed for racism and discrimination. History does seem to repeat itself. Switzerland is once again seen as an important training ground for repression. Immigrants, asylum seekers and resident non-citizens of color are scapegoated and portrayed as criminals. So much for equality under the law. This is how your democracy works. The worlds "human rights watchdog", Switzerland, has even been admonished by Amnesty International for police abuse and excessive use of force against persons of foreign origin during arrest.

    Kinda hard to shake that WWII image.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You should know, in that your own country, inspite of its recent constitutional changes and other laws, still is a hotbed for racism and discrimination. History does seem to repeat itself. Switzerland is once again seen as an important training ground for repression. Immigrants, asylum seekers and resident non-citizens of color are scapegoated and portrayed as criminals.
    Yawn. The usual blah. Attack the messenger instead of arguing about the message. Boring.
    The worlds "human rights watchdog", Switzerland, has even been admonished by Amnesty International for police abuse and excessive use of force against persons of foreign origin during arrest.
    Who hasn't? No police force is perfect. The question is whether it is institutionalized or not - which it isn't here. Our authrities don't fly foreigners to far away places in order to use "innovative" interrogation techniques which apparently can't be used at home.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What do you mean regarding ecomic rules broken?

    Regarding human rights, unfortunately the US have lost a lot of their moral high ground, with US agents kidnapping also innocent people all over the world and "exporting" them to third countries for "special" treatment and detaining hundreds without access to lawyers and without trial for years.
    How is this not "USA bashing"???

    It is a criticism of the US that is not only totally exaggerated (and, frankly, idiotic), but is also completely off the topic of the thread.

    Shall we also discuss how France has treated Algerians throught that country's sordid colonial history??? It's just as relevant as clulup's post here.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Yawn. The usual blah. Attack the messenger instead of arguing about the message. Boring.
    Boring is right. How typical of you. What was the topic of the thread? Refresher, China, and if possible, lets try to purchase goods made elsewhere (easier said than done, but a noble idea.)

    And in your usual drivel, out of all the other countries in the world that you could bring up (which would be equally off topic) you manage to bring up the USA.

    Whats the real story? Did an American take your sweetheart away from you?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Yawn. The usual blah. Attack the messenger instead of arguing about the message.
    Pot, please meet the kettle.

    You, of all people, have no right to address anyone's post with "The usual blah." You're worse than a broken record. You're Prometheus.
    I'm back!
  12. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What do you mean regarding ecomic rules broken?

    Regarding human rights, unfortunately the US have lost a lot of their moral high ground, with US agents kidnapping also innocent people all over the world and "exporting" them to third countries for "special" treatment and detaining hundreds without access to lawyers and without trial for years.
    I find myself shaking my head everytime I read looloo's post. Comparing the human rights violations of China and the interrogation of suspected terrorist (Yes, I am fully aware there are innocent people held and questioned), but come on even you should be able to see the difference. You do realize that an awful lot of the suspects were actually captured, detained or information passed on by your little european friends don't you. Or is that how you feign innocence, I only told them I thought they might be bad guys, the USA were the ones who actually found the truth and acted on it innocent (and released) or quilty (and punished).

    (edit) By the way DaT, good point.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Whats the real story? Did an American take your sweetheart away from you?
    Isn't that a given? Isn't the phrase "Swiss men" an oxymoron?
    I'm back!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    How is this not "USA bashing"???
    Because the post only states undisputed facts? Nobody denies the "renditions" which violate any judical standard.
    Shall we also discuss how France has treated Algerians throught that country's sordid colonial history??? It's just as relevant as clulup's post here.
    With the difference that France's colonial history ended over 40 years ago, while the above it a current issue?

    Granted though, it was a tangent... So how is China violating economic rules? It's not exactly illegal to produce cheaper/better things and sell them.

    Besides, China buys mindboggling amounts of US government bonds, and thus finances the huge deficit, that's good, no?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  15. #15  
    Oh, so now that you've been rebuked for your usual assinine comments, now you want to get back on track?
    I'm back!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Oh, so now that you've been rebuked for your usual assinine comments, now you want to get back on track?
    No, it's just because there were no valid or interesting arguments added, sadly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  17. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    No, it's just because there were no valid or interesting arguments added, sadly.
    Right, no arguments, just simple facts pointing out how wrong you were once again.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Because the post only states undisputed facts? Nobody denies the "renditions" which violate any judical standard.
    Sorry but your "facts" are very much in dispute. Besides which, the detention and eventual release of innocents is not exactly the same thing as gunning down protesting farmers.
    With the difference that France's colonial history ended over 40 years ago, while the above it a current issue?
    France is still very much involved in Algerian issues despite the fact that it is no longer a colony. At any rate it's *not* relevant which was precisely my point.
    Granted though, it was a tangent... So how is China violating economic rules? It's not exactly illegal to produce cheaper/better things and sell them.
    So it's OK with you that the Chinese government takes, without compensation, the land of farmers for economic development(which led to the above-mentioned gunning down of said farmers)??? It's OK with you that China uses prison and child labor in its factories??? It's OK with you that China has no respect for rules of copyright or intellectual property???
    Besides, China buys mindboggling amounts of US government bonds, and thus finances the huge deficit, that's good, no?
    They *do* know a good investment when they see one.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Sorry but your "facts" are very much in dispute.
    Well, he read those "facts" online, so they must be true.

    Nothing gets on the internet without being verified and validated.
    I'm back!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    So it's OK with you that the Chinese government takes, without compensation, the land of farmers for economic development(which led to the above-mentioned gunning down of said farmers)??? It's OK with you that China uses prison and child labor in its factories??? It's OK with you that China has no respect for rules of copyright or intellectual property???
    No, all of that is not ok at all. I am not sure though these things have a major influence on the economic power of China. Still, they are inexusable.
    They *do* know a good investment when they see one.
    Without e.g. China as well as Saudia Arabia and other OPEC countries financing your deficit (both trade and budget), your government and your ecomomy would be in big difficulties fast. You depend on each other.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions