Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Friggin' American GI bastards.......oh wait, not US Troops? But Swiss Police????

http://web.amnesty.org/report2004/che-summary-eng
    I am sure they were influenced by the wayward US administration. Some sort of mind altering ray sent from a space station I tell you.
    Well, I did spend several years off and on at Ft. Campbell, KY.
    101st Airborne?
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    101st Airborne?
    Brig?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Anyone who doesn't believe prisoners have been abused at the hands of U.S. soldiers and CIA agents, in Iraq, Guantanimo, other middle eastern countries, and maybe in Europe, lives in a fantasy world bounded on one side by the White House and on the other by Fox news. Where simple "abuse" ends and torture begins is an argument that could go on forever, but the U.S. has no high moral ground to stand on in this regard.

For the adminstration to continue to claim that one of the reasons we needed to topple Saddam was because he tortured his people, while we turn our backs on torture by U.S. operatives and our allies, is the height of hypocrisy.

Supporters of U.S. policy say we need to torture people for intelligence reason. We're fighting to save our way of life, they say. But guess what? That's exactly the reason Saddam tortured prisoners, to gain intelligence that protected his goverment. How are we morally superior? And speaking of Iraqi torture, it seems our fun-loving, democratic Iraqi friends have been torturing THEIR prisoners, too. But since that group of torturers likes us, I guess it's not as bad as when the last Iraqi government did it.

We cuddle up to regimes like China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and others that engage in torture and murder their politicial opponents, with no apparent qualms. But we draw the line at Saddam. Somehow, the idea of sending someone to be tortured in an Egyptian prison, instead of in an Iraqi prision, doesn't seem like progress.

Even if none of this sways you, we should avoid torture because it doesn't accomplish what we want. It's been demonstrated over and over again that people who are suffering will say whatever their interogator wants in order to make the pain stop. That's why confessions obtained under duress are frequently thrown out of court. And the idea that the detainees in Guantanamo still have any usefull information, years after being removed from the action, is ludicrous.

On a similar note, Bush also said we invaded Iraq because Saddam killed so many Iraqi citizens. But he now says about 30,000 Iraqis have died as a result of the U.S. invasion. Other estimates range as high as 100,000, but what's a factor of 3 amoung friends.
    Let me know when we start testing chemical weapons on our detainees and then you can put the current administration and the former Iraqi regime in the same sentence.
    I'm back!
    101st Airborne?
    Bastogne Brigade!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I am sure they were influenced by the wayward US administration. Some sort of mind altering ray sent from a space station I tell you.
    It was probably the CIA dressed as Swiss police.

The Swiss would NEVER do anything like that. They are above reproach.

That brings up an interesting point though. If the Swiss are so perfect, why do they need a police force? Is it just for when the "outsiders" get out of control?
    I'm back!
    Bastogne Brigade!
    Seriously? That's pretty cool. My wife has a cousin stationed at Ft. Campbell over in Iraq now.
    I'm back!

The Swiss would NEVER do anything like that. They are above reproach.

That brings up an interesting point though. If the Swiss are so perfect, why do they need a police force? Is it just for when the "outsiders" get out of control?
    http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engeur430052003

It has been alleged, amongst other things, that during the house searches:

· Police officers wore masks hiding their individual identities;
    · Police officers, after using hammers to smash the main doors and inside doors, dragged the residents from their beds and onto the floor, then bound them hand and foot;
    · Police officers then placed black hoods over the heads of the detainees so that they could not see;
    · Police officers then pulled down the trousers and underpants of some male detainees, stuck numbers onto their backs with adhesive tape and photographed them from behind "in a sexually degrading position,"[(1)] while laughing at them;

· Detainees in the Rain transit centre were then locked together in a room for several hours, still bound and hooded, and forbidden to speak until released by other – unmasked - police officers;

· A 16-year-old boy, an asylum-seeker apparently fleeing civil war in his home country and frightened by the raid, jumped from a third-floor window, suffering serious back injuries: it is claimed that he did not receive adequate medical assistance. One month after the fall, it was reported to Amnesty International that the boy was experiencing serious problems in walking and sitting as a result of the injuries suffered to his back.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Police officers then pulled down the trousers and underpants of some male detainees, stuck numbers onto their backs with adhesive tape and photographed them from behind "in a sexually degrading position,"[(1)] while laughing at them.
    Very interesting!

Sounds like dogpile girl.

Yet no comments about this travesty of human rights from the watchdog himself.

Of course, the comment will be something like "Of course it's bad, but the US is far, far worse."
    I'm back!
    Of course, the comment will be something like "Of course it's bad, but the US is far, far worse."
    Quit taking away their favorite reply. It's not fair for you to tell everyone what they are going to say before they get to post it.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Very interesting!

Sounds like dogpile girl.

Yet no comments about this travesty of human rights from the watchdog himself.

Boy, Google must be slow this morning, no response changing the subject to some perceived heinous crime commited by the current adminsistration.
    But as far as debate goes, where's your witty retort about legalized suicide in Gnomeville? Haven't found a link at www.extremist-european-views.com yet on how the US leads the world in state-supported murder?
    Well, you know, in Switzerland we believe in the responsibility of the individual, in free will. Under certain, well defined circumstances (namely terminally ill, suffering strongly without chance of recovery, but still capable of making an independent, sound decision, as confirmed by MDs), it is not illegal to provide e.g. strong medication which can lead to death without pain.

As I said, it's about personal resposibilty, free will, that sort of stuff. I know you and your government don't not value these things as much as we do, that was more than clear in the whole Terry Schiavo mess.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Well, you know, in Switzerland we believe in the responsibility of the individual, in free will. Under certain, well defined circumstances (namely terminally ill, suffering strongly without chance of recovery, but still capable of making an independent, sound decision, as confirmed by MDs), it is not illegal to provide e.g. strong medication which can lead to death without pain.

As I said, it's about personal resposibilty, free will, that sort of stuff. I know you and your government don't not value these things as much as we do, that was more than clear in the whole Terry Schiavo mess.
    Ahhh personal responsibilty at its best

... The Swiss have also unleashed the culture of death into their midst. Rather than authorizing doctors to commit euthanasia, however, Swiss law instead permits private suicide facilitation. As a result, Switzerland has become a destination for "suicide tourists" who travel there not to ski, but to receive a poison cocktail.

A private group that goes by the name "Dignitas" facilitates most Swiss assisted suicides. Its founder, lawyer Ludwig Minelli, recently told the Swiss press that he will not restrict Dignitas’s dark work to providing services to the dying. Indeed, the report said Minelli believes that "severe depression can be irreversible and that he is justified" in helping "the mentally ill" to die

Death by a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    Quit taking away their favorite reply. It's not fair for you to tell everyone what they are going to say before they get to post it.
    I know, but it's not like the response ever changes, as you can see by his response to legalized suicide.

"It's OK for us, but wow, look at what the US did to Terri Schaivo! Those pigs! The UN should invade now!"
    I'm back!

... The Swiss have also unleashed the culture of death into their midst. Rather than authorizing doctors to commit euthanasia, however, Swiss law instead permits private suicide facilitation. As a result, Switzerland has become a destination for "suicide tourists" who travel there not to ski, but to receive a poison cocktail.

A private group that goes by the name "Dignitas" facilitates most Swiss assisted suicides. Its founder, lawyer Ludwig Minelli, recently told the Swiss press that he will not restrict Dignitas’s dark work to providing services to the dying. Indeed, the report said Minelli believes that "severe depression can be irreversible and that he is justified" in helping "the mentally ill" to die

Death by a lawyer.
    His clients must be dying to see him.
    badum bump!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!

Death by a lawyer.
    Oh, I can see it now!

My rich wife is "sick". She needs to be relieved of her "pain" now. I know, I'll go to the Land of Cheese and Gnomes, where for a small fee, they'll help her commit "suicide". It's not murder, I swear!

Please, spin this. I'd love to hear how this one will somehow, again, point back to the Bush administration and the rest of Satan's servants.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    His clients must be dying to see him.
    badum bump!
    He'll be here all week!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup

Oh, OK, free will. So in Gnomeville, when you kill someone, even though it's allowed by law, that's free will of the murderer and the murderee.

When dogpile girl ties a leash around a naked soldier or terrorist and takes pictures (aka, a harmless fraternity prank, nothing more), that's the US military and current administration out of control.

When the Gnomeville police bound and gag a suspect, that's free will. When the CIA does it, that's torture.

I see how you think now.

"Whatever I say is OK is OK, and whatever I don't like is the most morally rephrensible thing ever done."

Gotcha.
    I'm back!
    Like this??

Well behaved women rarely make history
    http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engeur430052003

It has been alleged, amongst other things, that during the house searches:

· Police officers wore masks hiding their individual identities;
    · Police officers, after using hammers to smash the main doors and inside doors, dragged the residents from their beds and onto the floor, then bound them hand and foot;
    · Police officers then placed black hoods over the heads of the detainees so that they could not see;
    · Police officers then pulled down the trousers and underpants of some male detainees, stuck numbers onto their backs with adhesive tape and photographed them from behind "in a sexually degrading position,"[(1)] while laughing at them;

· Detainees in the Rain transit centre were then locked together in a room for several hours, still bound and hooded, and forbidden to speak until released by other – unmasked - police officers;

· A 16-year-old boy, an asylum-seeker apparently fleeing civil war in his home country and frightened by the raid, jumped from a third-floor window, suffering serious back injuries: it is claimed that he did not receive adequate medical assistance. One month after the fall, it was reported to Amnesty International that the boy was experiencing serious problems in walking and sitting as a result of the injuries suffered to his back.
    Stop making personal attacks on clulup....and I mean it!!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast