Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    CIA missile strike kills al-Qaida No. 3

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10303175/

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The operational commander of al-Qaida and possibly the No. 3 official in the terrorist organization, Hamza Rabia, was killed early Thursday morning by a CIA missile attack on a safehouse in Pakistan, officials told NBC News.

Pakistan's president later confirmed the militant leader's death.
    Last edited by phurth; 12/12/2005 at 05:15 PM.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    That is a good thing.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    CIA missile strike kills al-Qaida No. 3

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10303175/
    I thought it was nice to see. But 1) the body is missing (per CNN) 2) Pakistan claimed to have done DNA tests(kinda hard to do tests without a body and in less than 3 days) 3) Al-Qeada denies him being killed.

Let's see how this shakes up. It is nice however to see we have moved on to #3 guys now. I mean how many #2s did we have to kill to get to #3?
    Last edited by NRG; 12/03/2005 at 07:55 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I thought it was nice to see. But 1) the body is missing 2) Pakistan claimed to have done DNA tests(kinda hard to do tests without a body and in less than 5 hrs) 3) Al-Qeada denies him being killed.

Let's see how this shakes up. It is nice however to see we have moved on to #3 guys now. I mean how many #2s did we have to kill to get to #3?
    There have been false alarms in the past, but it appears we're still getting good intel from somewhere at least.

It also looks like this guy had been fast-tracked to the top of AQ - hopefully an indication that "good" men are getting harder to find and are needing replacement on a regular basis.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  5.    #5  
    http://counterterror.typepad.com/the...s_senior_.html

This one reportedly blew himself up after being surrounded by Russian commandos. He was wanted for the role he played in the massacre of schoolchildren in Beslan, among other things.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    http://counterterror.typepad.com/the...s_senior_.html

This one reportedly blew himself up after being surrounded by Russian commandos. He was wanted for the role he played in the massacre of schoolchildren in Beslan, among other things.
    That was the official Pak story till the locals found pieces of the cruise missile.
  7.    #7  
    That was the official Pak story till the locals found pieces of the cruise missile.
    Different guy completely different country.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Different guy completely different country.
    Oh, because #3 first off supposedly blew himself up making a bomb or that was Musharraf's explanation.
  9.    #9  
    Oh... the second one I posted was in Dagestan (Chechnya). The Russians have been after that guy for awhile.
    I'm just waiting for one our friends from the left side of the aisle to tell us how this may actually be a BAD thing. After all, if we just mind our own business and leave Al Qaida alone they will just go back to minding THEIR own business and not bother us any longer, right? If I'm not mistaken, this type of terrorism is the result of our hegemonistic foreign policy and will cease to exist once we pull up our tent stakes in Arab nations.
    How many of our soldiers do we need to loose for one of their idiots?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    I'm just waiting for one our friends from the left side of the aisle to tell us how this may actually be a BAD thing. After all, if we just mind our own business and leave Al Qaida alone they will just go back to minding THEIR own business and not bother us any longer, right? If I'm not mistaken, this type of terrorism is the result of our hegemonistic foreign policy and will cease to exist once we pull up our tent stakes in Arab nations.
    Darn! Did I miss my cue!??!

Look, if a bad al quada (sp?) guy goes down, all the better. I'd say killing a couple of kids in the process is some bad collateral but fairly surgical if it went down as stated.

What I would like to point out is that it did NOT involve invading and attempting to occupy a terrorist neutral country to accomplish. It took intelligence, otherwise known as international police work.

But I'm also glad to here that you, Gasmeister, are so thrilled to hear that an enemy of a dictator who came to power through a military coup is dead. Ironic ain't it?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    Come now. How many of our soldiers did we need to lose for Hitler or Himmler? You're not suggesting we shouldn't be going after Al Qaeda's leadership are you? And as daThomas points out this was a surgical strike using intelligence - none of our soldiers were lost doing it.

This thread is not about Iraq. We're hearing no shortage of negativity about Iraq. I started this thread to highlight a significant success in the war against Al Qaeda.
  14.    #14  
    Additionally, I'll point out two more facts:

- We've gotten way more than one of "their idiots".

- We still have lost fewer soldiers than civilians killed on September 11, 2001.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Gas, I think you are missing the points.

1) Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism
    2) Bin Laden was born from the CIA during the Afghan/Russina war
    3) A large majority of the folks fighting us in Iraq are Iraqis.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

- We still have lost fewer soldiers than civilians killed on September 11, 2001.
    Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11!
    Also what happens when we do surpass that mark of more soldiers killed than 9/11, what then. I just feel this is a silly argument.
    3) A large majority of the folks fighting us in Iraq are Iraqis.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092701601.html

Still, the New York Times article also references military data suggesting roughly 80 percent of violent attacks in Iraq were simply criminal in nature –e.g., ransom kidnappings and hijacking convoys- and without political motivation. This figure lends credence to those who cited the CPA’s disbanding of the Iraqi army as an error likely to create a pool of unemployed and discontented young males ripe for absorption into the insurgency. Further, this statistic highlights the importance of reconstruction, and the revitalization of an economy in Iraq that can provide traditional employment opportunities. Of the remaining 20 percent of violent attacks –those with political motivation- four-fifths are believed attributable to native insurgents as opposed to foreigners.

From..... http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...insurgency.htm
    Don't get me wrong here, I understand their both different things. I myself don't think we should continue to loose our family, & friends that are out there dieing. It just makes me sad when I see videos every other day 10 more die, its not right. That's just my opinion, not trying to start anything or stir up things, and yes I know why we did what we did, I agree with it. I just think its gone to long, sorry.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  19.    #19  
    Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11!
    Sorry. I must have missed the post where I said it did.
    Also what happens when we do surpass that mark of more soldiers killed than 9/11, what then. I just feel this is a silly argument.
    I'm not sure what you thought I was trying to say.

My point is that the number of soldiers lost compared to the accomplishment achieved is miniscule by any rational historical comparison. More people were killed in one day (9/11/01) than in the ensuing four years of the war on terror.
  20.    #20  
    Don't get me wrong here, I understand their both different things. I myself don't think we should continue to loose our family, & friends that are out there dieing. It just makes me sad when I see videos every other day 10 more die, its not right. That's just my opinion, not trying to start anything or stir up things, and yes I know why we did what we did, I agree with it. I just think its gone to long, sorry.
    It makes every American sad that we continue to lose brave warriors. I think it is a noble effort (and here I mean the war on terror in general) and I think we are winning. We have not yet won, but I think we will. We were all warned that the war on terror would be a long one (and an unconventional one). Hopefully we have more stamina than Al Qaeda.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast