Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Gas, I think you are missing the points.

1) Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism
    2) Bin Laden was born from the CIA during the Afghan/Russina war
    3) A large majority of the folks fighting us in Iraq are Iraqis.
    Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism????

Oh I keep forgetting that some folks divided Iraq into separate territories (in their own mind) so the terrorist training camps were actually in a different country.
  2.    #22  
    1) Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism
    That's demonstrably false. Iraq had plenty to do with terrorism. If you meant to say Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, I'd say it is correct that there is no evidence of that. If you meant that Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism against the US, that is almost certainly false as well. One of the conspirators of the 1993 WTC bombing fled to Iraq where he was sheltered by the Hussein regime. He is still at large somewhere. Remember that Iraq also tried to assassinate former president Bush as well. Also, the Sudanese asprin factory Clinton bombed was targeted specifically because of ties to the Iraqi regime. My, what short memories we have when there's political advantage to be gained.

To think that Iraq wasn't involved in "unconventional" means to try and retaliate against the US after the Gulf War is naive in the extreme.
    2) Bin Laden was born from the CIA during the Afghan/Russina war
    Wow, you give the CIA an awful lot of credit here. The Russians had just as much to do with "creating" Bin Laden as we did (more, actually). Either way, so what? Does that mean we shouldn't fight him now??? It's a nice talking point but it's completely devoid of meaning.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3.    #23  
    Yes, yes, it's National Review. If I have to read the NY Times, the other side should have to be exposed to a different viewpoint as well.

After reading this, I'm beginning to think Rumsfeld might have been right after all when he decided to disband Saddam's Iraqi army and re-build from scratch. Time will tell.

http://www.nationalreview.com/smitht...0512050825.asp
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "My, what short memories we have when there's political advantage to be gained."

- phurth

indeed.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  5.    #25  
    http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...1-B41571AFD3AF

The bad news: one of our major political parties is run by a complete nutjob during a time of war.

The good news: with leadership like this the Dems don't have a prayer of winning any national elections any time soon.
  6.    #26  
    It seems Al Qaeda has fallen on difficult times... (and just where is Osama bin Laden anyway)?

Al Qaeda No. 2 Praises Terrorists in Latest Tape
    Sunday, December 11, 2005

..."The key to victory is in our hands, and in turn, the primary cause of defeat is in ourselves," it said.

...Al-Zawahiri also bemoaned the lack of support for Al Qaeda-linked militants in Saudi Arabia, saying the mujahedeen had suffered "defeat" amid a high-profile anti-terror campaign by Saudi authorities.

"These idolatrous regimes achieve victory over us because each one of us wants to save his own skin and avoid harm for himself," al-Zawahiri said on the tape.

"As long as this malignant illness continues to survive within us, there is no hope for victory and there can only be more defeats, tragedies, disasters and betrayals."...
    As I've said before, one of the reasons (though not publicly emphasized by the Bush administration) for the Iraq invasion was to put pressure on Saudi Arabia to be more cooperative in the war against Al Qaeda. Here's evidence that has worked.

As an aside - it appears Al Qaeda doesn't have a problem using the word "victory".
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I thought it was nice to see. But 1) the body is missing (per CNN) 2) Pakistan claimed to have done DNA tests(kinda hard to do tests without a body and in less than 3 days) 3) Al-Qeada denies him being killed.

Let's see how this shakes up. It is nice however to see we have moved on to #3 guys now. I mean how many #2s did we have to kill to get to #3?
    Another number 2 may have been killed. I found this graphic rather funny. It is AL Qaeda's organizational chart.

8.    #28  
    It looks like Al Qaeda is using the same management consultant as my company.

That's a pretty funny chart.
    Another number 2 may have been killed. I found this graphic rather funny. It is AL Qaeda's organizational chart.

Along the same vein, here's one Shop posted in the funny pictures thread a while ago...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=817302&postcount=95
    I wonder if you become a Number 2, if OBL ever tells you?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I wonder if you become a Number 2, if OBL ever tells you?
    It looks like they never live long enough to get the memo...
  12.    #32  
    Uh... I just saw the news story... this is no run-of-the mill number 2. This was al-Zawahiri, and if true is a very big deal indeed.

As an aside, Michael Leeden of the National Review (who has sources in Iran who've proven reliable in the past) has written that Osama bin Laden died in Iran this past December. He writes:
    And, according to Iranians I trust, Osama bin Laden finally departed this world in mid-December. The al Qaeda leader died of kidney failure and was buried in Iran, where he had spent most of his time since the destruction of al Qaeda in Afghanistan. The Iranians who reported this note that this year's message in conjunction with the Muslim Haj came from his number two, Ayman al-Zawahiri(ed- who might himself be no more), for the first time.
    We've heard reports of OBL's demise before, but it's worth noting that nothing has been heard from him in well over a year.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12