AKA Alcee Lamar Hastings

Born: 5-Sep-1936
    Birthplace: Altamonte Springs, FL

Religion: Methodist
    Ethnicity: Black
    Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Congressman, Florida 23rd

First African-American judge appointed to Florida (appointed by Jimmy Carter to the Southern District of Florida in 1979), Hastings was impeached and removed from office in 1989 -- two counts, perjury and conspiracy to obstruct justice, one of only twelve judges in American history to be afforded this indignity. The basis of the two charges was his lying about the fixing of cases in his court. However, even after impeachment he is the first African-American be elected to Congress from Florida since Reconstruction, representing Dade and Broward Counties, and several others. He is a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
    Democrats are crooks!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Democrats are crooks!
    So are some republicans, independents, and every other political movement, you can add in religious organizations, civic organizations, insurance companies, lawyers, cops and judges and treo users for that matter. Sheeesh, it don't matter who you affiliate with your true self will come out and your greed will take over.
    This is old news though, isn't it? I know he was in Congress during the Clinton Impeachment, so he's been firmly implanted in his District for years.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Democrats are crooks!
    LOL, it just begs the question...how come the Reps couldn't put up someone that could beat an 'impeached judge, one of only 12 in U.S. history, who fixed cases, perjured and obstructed justice'??
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    LOL, it just begs the question...how come the Reps couldn't put up someone that could beat an 'impeached judge, one of only 12 in U.S. history, who fixed cases, perjured and obstructed justice'??
    Since you are in law school, does this guy cease to be a lawyer, and transition to a shill? In my eyes he has foregone his oath. Your thoughts?
    This message implies that only democrats were the ones that were at the election and, therefore, elected him.

Just like AMERICANS elected a moron as a president, AMERICANS elected an impeached judge to congress. It wasn't just 'democrats'.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    This message implies that only democrats were the ones that were at the election and, therefore, elected him.

Just like AMERICANS elected a moron as a president, AMERICANS elected an impeached judge to congress. It wasn't just 'democrats'.
    The district he represents is a vast majority Democrat congressional district.

I agree it's too bad that Americans elected a moron like Clinton (twice!).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    The district he represents is a vast majority Democrat congressional district.

I agree it's too bad that Americans elected a moron like Clinton (twice!).
    Let's just hope we do not elect her again
    Yeah and we have a moron president that can't even address the country without his famous bushisms accidently coming out. ooOOoOppps I think he's more like an *****!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Let's just hope we do not elect her again
    I hope the Democrats select her for their nomination for President, that way they will lose again in 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Since you are in law school, does this guy cease to be a lawyer, and transition to a shill? In my eyes he has foregone his oath. Your thoughts?
    It probably depends on the state bar rules. In CA (I think) that if you are convicted of a felony, there is a hearing and then your lic. is revoked (not sure for how long.)

So, in CA, he would cease to be a lawyer (I'm guessing it would be the same for his state too.)

I don't know for sure because I have not taken ethics and I am pretty sure it is covered in that class.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve