Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    On the 3rd side of the coin, without the support of the US they would overrun the country and turn into another Afg. overlord run gov.
    Whoa whoa whoa. You think that islamofacists could overun the sunni insurgency if the U.S. left today? Not. They are being tolerated. As I've said before, enemy of my enemy.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Why the unquestioning belief in anything from the UN? It's simple amnesia to pretend it was in any way known that Iraq possessed no militarily significant WMD prior to the war. They were known to exist - in fact we have found some despite the constant drumbeat of "no WMD no WMD no WMD". See here for one example: http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraqi_mobile_plants/
    Jeebus dude. That's a desperate attempt to justify the "intelligence" from Curveball.

Come on. Rise above.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    United Nations official investigation reported no WMD trucks or programs which were waved at the UN as justification for a war, TWO WEEKS PRIOR to the invasion of Iraq.
    DaT, you seem to be fairly intelligent, look at the intelligence prior to the start of the war. Can you honestly tell yourself that Saddam had adhered to the UN mandates? If not, then the UN had the obligation to the entire world to make sure he be held accountable and his regime be ended. The UN failed the world.

Here is a white paper from 1998 (who was the President then)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/whitepap.htm
    Yes, the war was still 5 years away, but it shows that the UN could/would not enforce the mandates. Even today, the UN can not say that all WMDs were destroyed. Some still say they were shipped to Syria just prior to the war.
    Jeebus dude. That's a desperate attempt to justify the "intelligence" from Curveball.

Come on. Rise above.
    What are you talking about? This is from after the start of the war.
    Last edited by phurth; 11/29/2005 at 04:27 PM.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  5.    #45  
    What are you talking about? This is from after the start of the war.
    Yea, it's going backwards to try to make a Curveball story look like it was true.
    Yea, it's going backwards to try to make a Curveball story look like it was true.
    Oh I see... you think we made up the truck pictured in the CIA report. OK. I get it now. Break out the tin hats!

The Curveball reports were never verified, not proven untrue, according to the story I just read.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    DaT, you seem to be fairly intelligent, look at the intelligence prior to the start of the war. Can you honestly tell yourself that Saddam had adhered to the UN mandates? If not, then the UN had the obligation to the entire world to make sure he be held accountable and his regime be ended. The UN failed the world.

Here is a white paper from 1998 (who was the President then)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/whitepap.htm
    Yes, the war was still 5 years away, but it shows that the UN could/would not enforce the mandates. Even today, the UN can not say that all WMDs were destroyed. Some still say they were shipped to Syria just prior to the war.
    I wasn't for completely ignoring the bathist regime. We had and I wanted more UN weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq. Come on. You know the invasion was rushed.
  8.    #48  
    Oh I see... you think we made up the truck pictured in the CIA report. OK. I get it now. Break out the tin hats!

The Curveball reports were never verified, not proven untrue, according to the story I just read.

The trucks were exactly from Curveball:
    "After the CIA vouched for Curveball's information, Bush warned in his State of the Union Speech in January 2003 that Iraq had "mobile biological-weapons labs" designed to produce "germ-warfare agents." The next month, Bush said Iraq "has at least seven mobile factories" for germ warfare."
    I wasn't for completely ignoring the bathist regime. We had and I wanted more UN weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq. Come on. You know the invasion was rushed.
    A 12 month run-up and several UN resolutions (I don't recall the exact number) was rushed??? What would be your idea of slow deliberation?
    The trucks were exactly from Curveball:
    The trucks were discovered in April of 2003 by Kurdish forces.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    12 freaking years of inspections.

The paper talks about over 100 inspectors on the ground and 20 thousand security members moving items and hindering the inspections.

FAILURE.
    Whoa whoa whoa. You think that islamofacists could overun the sunni insurgency if the U.S. left today? Not. They are being tolerated. As I've said before, enemy of my enemy.
    No...I said that because if we just packed up and left AQ would certainly have a major play in events.
  13.    #53  
    The trucks were discovered in April of 2003 by Kurdish forces.
    The trucks were discovered and since they were similar to what Curveball stated he worked on that cia web page you pointed out tries to connect the two together. There's no physical evidence of biological weapons on that truck.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    No...I said that because if we just packed up and left AQ would certainly have a major play in events.
    They already do. The Kurdish South.
  15.    #55  
    12 freaking years of inspections.

The paper talks about over 100 inspectors on the ground and 20 thousand security members moving items and hindering the inspections.

FAILURE.
    And obviously the inspections worked.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    And obviously the inspections worked.
    Reread (or read for the first time) the white paper I referenced earlier. Obviously they failed, even after 12 years of hide and seek. You have even stated that you wanted more inspectors on the ground longer, if they were succesfull why more people and more time?
  17.    #57  
    Reread (or read for the first time) the white paper I referenced earlier. Obviously they failed, even after 12 years of hide and seek. You have even stated that you wanted more inspectors on the ground longer, if they were succesfull why more people and more time?

You stated yourself the paper was old. The absence of WMDs after invasion is proof the UN hassled hussein into thinking it wasn't worth it.
    You stated yourself the paper was old. The absence of WMDs after invasion is proof the UN hassled hussein into thinking it wasn't worth it.
    Odd then that he acted in every way as if he had something to hide. Pretty big oops on his part, I'd say.

So prior to the war the UN says Iraq has large amounts of WMD unaccounted for. Iraq behaves for 12 years up until the eve of war as if it has WMD to hide - and you suggest we should have ignored all of that and believed Baghdad Bob's empty assertions Iraq had no WMD?

The real question is just where the hell they did go. Officially they are still unaccounted for.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123