Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Geez, you guys are OLD!
    Yeah, but we have cool toys now.

Funny thing about the sound of punch cards being processed...I still have nightmares about dropping a stack of cards before I can get it into the machine.

If someone would have told me in high school (Class of '78) that I would have a hand-held device which does all the things I use my Visor for, I probably wouldn't have believed them.

My kids are still learning keyboarding in school, but they are on computers. I don't think they've ever even used a typewriter...

Maybe they should start teaching "net-tiquette" classes...

"When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    I drooled over the TRS-80 Pocket Computer when it came out in '79, I think. It had around 8K of RAM or so, and you had to program it in BASIC, but a computer you could fit into a (big) pocket was a dream then.

If someone from "the future" came back and showed me a Visor then, I'd have gone nuts. Heck, we have pocket computers, tiny devices that let us talk to people all over the place, lasers that fit on keychains...where the heck is my rocket car, anyway? On my computer, of course (Flight Sim 98, Fireball XL-5 and Delta Flyer shuttlecraft).
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    Why, when it's SO easy? Isn't it just common sense? Keep the caps lock off, don't swear, be polite, etc..

[Edited by ****-richardson on 12-19-2000 at 02:44 AM]
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    schools like to teach common sense .. my guess is the teachers get a kick out of those students who just don't get it ..

Joe
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Why, when it's SO easy? Isn't it just common sense? Keep the caps lock off, don't swear, be polite, etc..
    Sure it's easy, and it is common sense, but there are still a lot of idiots out there that just don't get it! (I could take a cheap shot and say that most of them live in Florida and design ballots )

It's a combination of teaching and encouraging people to follow the rules. It's not rocket science, but simple discipline. Some folks just don't want to take the time to learn, or abide by rules...

And I'm not going back to using a slide rule...
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by Cerulean
    schools like to teach common sense .. my guess is the teachers get a kick out of those students who just don't get it ..

Joe
    Huh?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Funny thing about the sound of punch cards being processed...I still have nightmares about dropping a stack of cards before I can get it into the machine.

Funny you should mention this, my freshman year of college in fall of 1985, I heard the most in-human blood chilling scream I have ever heard in my life (and never anything like it since) .. It was the last semester for the punch card systems, they were not going to repair or replace them, A senior had done their (spring-fall - 2 semester) graduation project on punch cards.. Turns out that she dropped them in the hall way, thousands of cards scattered everywhere .. (it was also a well known fact the card sorter had just recently broken and was not going to be fix or replaced).. It was a really terrifying sound.. worse than anything Stephen King could have (ever) dreamed up. The sound still haunts me to this day.

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I was in a colleague's office the other day, and his peculiar keyboard caught my eye. I thought at first that our company hid tightened the budget so much that he was forced to use second-hand equipment, but actually he had simply pried out the "insert" and "caps lock" keys cause they bugged the hell out him.

Same with me: everytime I hit one of them, it's always accidentally.
    Same here.. I work with I guy that rips out the "windows" key from all the keyboards he uses..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12