1.    #1  
    are threads being closed more now than in the past ?? Have there been any complaints from anyone offended ??

In general I think that there should be a pretty high threshold of agony reached before an OT thread is closed.

we're all adults here -- and throwing vicious irony and inflammatory invective is what we do to amuse and enlighten one another.

Most everyone in that closed thread knows and respects each other -- and I'm certain none took personally anything said there. (ATM ??)

Both the left and right understand that they need each other for this space to work -- which is one reason that there's more friendship and shared respect, than enmity.

The ecosystem of an interesting and enjoyable discussion group is hard to define -- but things seem to work well here with only the mildest of supervision.

I hope that OT threads only get closed when things become truly ugly in a personal way
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Yes, threads get closed pretty quick. I sent PM to the moderator who closes the threads most of the time and voiced my concern. I know there are a couple of people that are absent from our conversations and I saw a post from some of them on another board and this is why they no longer partake. I miss thier input, they were civil and brought quite a bit of humor. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that as soon as a thread points out a fault in the argument of the liberal side it gets closed.

Mods, not being derogatory of your actions just pointing out the way I see it.
    Aaaah, yes. The dilemma of democracy. And, the limits of liberty.

We want free speech, yet we know somethings ought be left unspoken
    We want personal liiberty, yet we know somethings ought not be done publicly (or privately for that matter)

Yet, there are those who take delight in pushinig the boundaries of ought. And in response there are those who seek to tighten the constraints.

Civil liberty works best when there is a shared view of right and wrong. Without such consensus, we are forced to rely on legislation (or, in this case moderators). Consequently, dare I say inevitably, liberty is lost.

No matter how deftly the policy is crafted, it will never generate polity amongst the populace. That has to take place in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    are threads being closed more now than in the past ?? Have there been any complaints from anyone offended ??

In general I think that there should be a pretty high threshold of agony reached before an OT thread is closed.

we're all adults here -- and throwing vicious irony and inflammatory invective is what we do to amuse and enlighten one another.

Most everyone in that closed thread knows and respects each other -- and I'm certain none took personally anything said there. (ATM ??)

Both the left and right understand that they need each other for this space to work -- which is one reason that there's more friendship and shared respect, than enmity.

The ecosystem of an interesting and enjoyable discussion group is hard to define -- but things seem to work well here with only the mildest of supervision.

I hope that OT threads only get closed when things become truly ugly in a personal way

Agreed with the above. I was very surprised the thread in question was closed.
    Yes, there are those who are tired of the seemingly official TC left wing slant and moderation and have chosen to no longer participate in anything OT, if at TC at all.

I, for one, am sorry to see them go, but I have decided to take up residence in the new forums as well.
    I'm back!
    I have read the thread in question and wonder what the big deal was. Not surprised though. Thats why you rarely see me here. It's not fun any more.
    After going back and reading the new posts in that thread leading up to its close, I just have to shake my head.

It was closed for that??? Are you kidding me?

Looks to me that EVERYONE needs to reread the forum guidelines. I'm very curious as to which rules this thread violated.
    I'm back!
    No, I took nothing personally and I did not knowingly make a personal remark about anybody here at T/C - I did point out what I feel are the truth about lying Democrats. I was stating my opinion as a conservative. I PM'd Toolkit about my disagreement on the closing.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    No, I took nothing personally and I did not knowingly make a personal remark about anybody here at T/C - I did point out what I feel are the truth about lying Democrats. I was stating my opinion as a conservative. I PM'd Toolkit about my disagreement on the closing.
    I'm sorry ATM -- you must've misinterpreted my meaning -- I intended what I wrote to be a slashingly intemperate attack on you and all righties of your ilk -- kindly reread it so that you can properly understand it.
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/17/2005 at 04:19 PM.
    I am one of those who has been out of action for a while, and to be honest, the reason is not because of the moderators, but the mean-spiritedness that sometimes goes on here. We have all found one thing that unites us, and instead of it being a source of celebration, it is often cause for insults, belittling, mocking and other negative things. I'm not saying its everyone, but its enough that it sometimes makes it very taxing. People are constantly berated to do a search, but when you use the search feature, most of the hits are threads telling people to use the search feature!
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Have a good day
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I may be wrong, but it seems to me that as soon as a thread points out a fault in the argument of the liberal side it gets closed.
    Appreciate you standing up for me.

I'm sorry ATM -- you must of misinterpreted my meaning -- I intended what wrote to be a slashingly intemperate attack on you and all righties of your ilk -- kindly reread it so that you can properly understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Roll your eyes if you want, but recent threads started or resuscitated by Barye, NRG, Nudist, and Clulup (all whose opinions have a decidedly left leaning slant) have been just as heated and none of them were closed by decidedly left leaning mod.

So why was this one closed? It wasn't over the top, nor was it heading there in a hurry.
    I'm back!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    I am one of those who has been out of action for a while, and to be honest, the reason is not because of the moderators, but the mean-spiritedness that sometimes goes on here. We have all found one thing that unites us, and instead of it being a source of celebration, it is often cause for insults, belittling, mocking and other negative things. I'm not saying its everyone, but its enough that it sometimes makes it very taxing. People are constantly berated to do a search, but when you use the search feature, most of the hits are threads telling people to use the search feature!
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Have a good day

I too have seen that in the general forum -- and you're very right to complain about that --

Off Topic is a somewhat different place -- politeness and civility are not necessarily required to have a respectful and fun discussion here.

We need the friction of our "enemies" to have our debates.

for example ATM and I trust each other enough to not be offended by the others ironic barbs -- (he's even stupidly said nice things about my video, and given me my avatar)
    I did say a relatively nice thing about your video but never actually watched it. That would be giving in to the whacko, liberal left. That is accurate regarding your avatar - one of the best avatars out there.

for example ATM and I trust each other enough to not be offended by the others ironic barbs -- (he's even stupidly said nice things about my video, and given me my avatar)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I did say a relatively nice thing about your video but never actually watched it...

that's kind of typical -- offering opinions about stuff you haven't even seen and know nothing about...
    Careful...talk like that will get this thread closed as well.
    I'm back!
    I've always found the debate here in OT to be reasonably respectful and civil. Issues are discussed by people who disagree. They don't come here to hold hands and sing kumbaya. If individuals get out of hand and attack others personally the mods have the ability to ban offenders.

You can be polite and civil and still disagree and debate issues. For the most part that's what goes on here. Mods can do whatever they like - it's their board -however, I also can see no reason why the thread in question was closed. We seem to have bi-partisan agreement on that, if on nothing else.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Read the threads in question, then read some or the ones that are still open. If you can explain the difference and why only those were closed I will read with an open mind. If you can not provide logical reasoning with specific examples, well you get the idea, I do not want to cause this thread to close.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Read the threads in question, then read some or the ones that are still open. If you can explain the difference and why only those were closed I will read with an open mind. If you can not provide logical reasoning with specific examples, well you get the idea, I do not want to cause this thread to close.
    The last post I saw in the first closed thread was a pro-ACLU post.