Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sixty percent of the 1,006 adult Americans interviewed by telephone Friday through Sunday said they disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.

For the first time, less than half -- 48 percent -- of those surveyed said they approved of how the president was handling the war on terror. Forty-nine percent said they disapprove.

In the new poll, 60 percent said it was not worth going to war in Iraq, while 38 percent said it was worthwhile.

On federal spending, 71 percent disapproved of his performance and 26 percent approved. The approval rating was the same on immigration issues, and the disapproval mark was 65 percent.

Sixty-one percent of respondents disapproved of Bush's handling of the economy, and 37 percent approved.

When asked about his abilities, 49 percent of those surveyed said he was a strong president and 49 percent said he was a weak leader.

About 50 percent of people polled said they disliked Bush, with 6 percent claiming to hate the president.

For the first time, more than half of the public thinks Bush is not honest and trustworthy -- 52 percent to 46 percent.

In the poll, 56 percent of registered voters said they would be likely to vote against a local candidate supported by Bush, while 34 percent said the opposite.

Only 9 percent said their first choice in next year's elections would be a Republican who supports Bush on almost every major issue.

Forty-six percent said the country would be better off if Congress were controlled by Democrats, while 34 percent backed a GOP majority.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/...oll/index.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    When I read this, my response surprised me. mMy immediate response was an appreciation for democracy. With all the malcontent, there is no armed effort to topple the administration. People are enduring and gearing up for the next election cycle.

Perhaps those interviewed will not only reply to an anonymous questioner, but will also participate in the very public opinion poll on their respective election days.

After nearly 229.5 years, the experiment is still working -- very well.
    The democrats have been running a continuous smear campaign against President Bush, and I hate to see it - but it is working. It was refreshing to finally see President Bush call out the revisionists this week. You will see a slow public opinion change as long as Bush keeps on the offensive of these 'forgetul' Democrats who made wmd comments and voted for the war.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    When I read this, my response surprised me. mMy immediate response was an appreciation for democracy. With all the malcontent, there is no armed effort to topple the administration.
    You find it remarkable that there is no armed effort against the administration? I find it surprising that the thought of armed resistance even occurs to you.
    After nearly 229.5 years, the experiment is still working -- very well.
    When referring to the timescale of peaceful US democracy, starting 140 years ago would be more accurate, that's when the Civil War came to an end.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    You find it remarkable that there is no armed effort against the administration? I find it surprising that the thought of armed resistance even occurs to you.
    When referring to the timescale of peaceful US democracy, starting 140 years ago would be more accurate, that's when the Civil War came to an end.
    Well, we know how to make statistics lie.

But rest assured 99.9999 % of TC posters wouldn't mind you taking action against non-US sentiment!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    But rest assured 99.9999 % of TC posters wouldn't mind you taking action against non-US sentiment!
    You speak in riddles... what's a non-US sentiment, and how could one take action against it?
    ...I find it surprising that the thought of armed resistance even occurs to you.
    It is still the method of choice in many locales around the world.
    Indeed. In fact, that episode is a testament to the strength of the Deomcratic model. It, itself represents a lapse in the ideals and principles. Yet, the model remains intact -- evolving....improving, hopefully, but principly intact -- despite that abberation.

this nation has been at the vanguard of political innovation.

our revolution was probably the first successful democratic country created through rebellion (unless you include the dutch 450 yrs ago against spain.)

our civil war was the perhaps the first of the "cultural nationalism" uprisings that reordered the structure and configuration of nation states around the world -- particularly in Europe.

(the civil war was only partially about slavery -- most southerners were not slave owners. It was primarily a war inspired by romantic ideas of distinct national identity,)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    OK. I'm re-thinking my comments on the Civil War.

Secession represented an "enemy from within" that had to be opposed. Granted, the states could have agreed to an amicable separation. But without such agreement, the attempt was treasonous.
    OK. I'm re-thinking my comments on the Civil War.

Secession represented an "enemy from within" that had to be opposed. Granted, the states could have agreed to an amicable separation. But without such agreement, the attempt was treasonous.

we could easily had the czecho-slovak split -- war was not an inevitable outcome.

southerners would have preferred that the north let them go peacefully

(and had that happened, the cowgirls would not be the menace to society that they are now...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    we could easily had the czecho-slovak split -- war was not an inevitable outcome.

southerners would have preferred that the north let them go peacefully
    Indeed
    (and had that happened, the cowgirls would not be the menace to society that they are now...)
    I guess I gotta "google"
  12.    #12  
    our revolution was probably the first successful democratic country created through rebellion (unless you include the dutch 450 yrs ago against spain.)
    ... or the Swiss 700 years ago?

So we have more in common than just the impression that Bush junior politics are not such a clever idea - which brings us back to topic...
    Indeed
    I guess I gotta "google"
    sorry --- just a little attempt at humor
    ... or the Swiss 700 years ago?

So we have more in common than just the impression that Bush junior politics are not such a clever idea - which brings us back to topic...

Tell of the swiss revolution -- i know not

the most important stat amongst junior's polls is the not trusting numbers -- thats deadly --

i've seen like 30% think they can be trusted -- you don't easily recover from that
    Sixty percent of the 1,006 adult Americans interviewed by telephone Friday through Sunday said they disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.
    I don't think this means anything. I still think that the overall population in this country still likes Bush (50.9% to 49.1%). The poll is biased. The part of the population that either doesn't own a phone or doesn't know how to use the phone were not included. All of these people voted for Bush and will continue to support him. It also doesn't include all the Bible belt population that spends all day Sunday in Church or in Church events bashing any non-Republican. This is the group of people that got him elected.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    I don't think this means anything. I still think that the overall population in this country still likes Bush (50.9% to 49.1%). The poll is biased. The part of the population that either doesn't own a phone or doesn't know how to use the phone were not included.
    So Bush supporters don't own a phone? This could explain a quite a bit...
  17.    #17  
    Tell of the swiss revolution -- i know not
    There's quite a good article in Encarta (as a change from Wikipedia, which isn't bad either):

In 1276 Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf I of the Habsburg dynasty attempted to assert feudal rights in Switzerland, making his power a threat to the traditional liberties of the Swiss. To resist Rudolf’s aggression, representatives of the three so-called forest cantons—Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden—gathered on August 1, 1291, in a meadow above the Lake of Lucerne, and entered a league for mutual defense. This event is regarded as the birth of Switzerland. ...

The first test of strength for the confederation came in 1315, when mountaineers (peasant foot soldiers) of the forest cantons confronted the superior forces of the Habsburgs and their allies. The Swiss fighters routed the Habsburg forces at Morgarten Pass in the canton of Schwyz, effectively guaranteeing the independence of the young confederacy. This victory encouraged other communities to join the confederation. The urban cantons of Lucerne, Zürich, and Bern, and the rural cantons of Glarus and Zug, made separate alliances with the three forest cantons between 1332 and 1353, establishing a series of confederations. Though lacking a coherent structure, these alliances were able to provide for the independence of every community. ...

Despite Switzerland’s withdrawal from international warfare, Swiss mercenaries—known for their great courage and skill in war—became famous throughout Europe. They continued to serve in other armies for centuries. The tradition was largely abandoned in the 18th century when Swiss fighters increasingly found themselves on opposing sides of European conflicts. The Swiss Guard, the papal guard of the Vatican in Rome, is a vestige of that era.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...rland.html#s37
    There's quite a good article in Encarta (as a change from Wikipedia, which isn't bad either):

cool -- one less thing I know nothing about !!
    Got it. Thanx

Hail to the Redskins!!!
    There was a peaceful US democracy long before the Civil War. The US government wasn't born in 1865, it survived through 1865.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast