12/20/2011, 03:42 PM
Yep, you read this right. We will now have at least skype messaging on 2.1 devices, including Pre 2 (non VZW), Pre and Pre+. I'll fiddle with the 2.1 Pixi later.
== What Works ==
Messaging on a Palm Pre Plus (AT&T)
Contact Synergy, allowing messaging and calls to the phone app (they won't work but it tries)
== What Doesn't work ==
Audio (system notifications work, but no audio from apps, it makes Luna crash).
== Background ==
When the Palm Pre 2 was released, the Skype subsystem worked only on Verizon, making calls over their Cellular network since Verizon was providing a Skype call interconnecting infrastructure. The only process that was really done in the phones was the messaging part, since the calls were routed through Verizon. This made impossible to have Skype running on other networks different than Verizon.
With the release of Skype for 2.2.4 for Pre 2, a new world opens for legacy users, since the hardware is fairly similar to the Pre and Pre+, binaries can be run on one or another without modification.
== How to this ==
THESE ARE THE ROUGH STEPS, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO STUFF IN COMMAND LINE YOU MAY BE FINE. (or you could wait some hours while I cook a script).
- Get the world-ready Pre 2 2.2.4 webOS Doctor.
- Extract the Doctor, navigate to the resources/wr.tar file.
- Get the skype installer from the wr file.
- Extract the resources/webOS/nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs.tgz file
- Get everything that says "skype" on it, transfer it to your Pre
- Install the skype installer on your Pre with the '''-nodeps''' parameter
- Get the following libraries from the Doctor (in /usr/lib): libmedia-api.so, libmedia-clonk.so, libdb-4.8.so, libmojodb.so, transfer them to your Pre
- Get the /usr/bin/mediaserver file from your Doctor, transfer it to your Pre
After this, you can reboot your Pre 2. You'll find that you can now add an Skype account that works with the messaging application.
Now, this is for the brave, these are my findings at the moment. It works, it FREAKING WORKS!!!!!!
I did this on my spare Pre Plus, and... well, I have skype messaging
Now, the sad part:
I haven't been able to make voice calls, the phone app barks with a messaging saying that I don't have a skype account. After looking at the source, it looks for a "VOICE" account, and the new skype ipk defines the account as "PHONE" account, so, I'm screwed.
I've been trying to make the enyo 2.2.4 phone app work on 2.1 but I haven't been able to do so. I'm tired now, and I won't make a script right now, but perhaps later I'll cook something.
Who knows, maybe we will be able to add this to meta doctor!
So, our old little webOS phones still have some life in them!
IN THE END I THINK I HIT A WALL ON THE ROAD. SINCE WE DON'T HAVE AUDIO THIS CAN'T WORK PROPERLY, SORRY.
If this works for you, feel free to share the wealth to cesar.negrete at gmail dot com on PayPal