webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  NuttyBunny > Get Skype running on 2.1 devices
Get Skype running on 2.1 devices
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By NuttyBunny
  • 1 Post By Zer0C001

Old 12/20/2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Yep, you read this right. We will now have at least skype messaging on 2.1 devices, including Pre 2 (non VZW), Pre and Pre+. I'll fiddle with the 2.1 Pixi later.

== What Works ==
Messaging on a Palm Pre Plus (AT&T)
Contact Synergy, allowing messaging and calls to the phone app (they won't work but it tries)

== What Doesn't work ==
Calls
Audio (system notifications work, but no audio from apps, it makes Luna crash).

== Background ==
When the Palm Pre 2 was released, the Skype subsystem worked only on Verizon, making calls over their Cellular network since Verizon was providing a Skype call interconnecting infrastructure. The only process that was really done in the phones was the messaging part, since the calls were routed through Verizon. This made impossible to have Skype running on other networks different than Verizon.

With the release of Skype for 2.2.4 for Pre 2, a new world opens for legacy users, since the hardware is fairly similar to the Pre and Pre+, binaries can be run on one or another without modification.

== How to this ==

THESE ARE THE ROUGH STEPS, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO STUFF IN COMMAND LINE YOU MAY BE FINE. (or you could wait some hours while I cook a script).
  • Get the world-ready Pre 2 2.2.4 webOS Doctor.
  • Extract the Doctor, navigate to the resources/wr.tar file.
  • Get the skype installer from the wr file.
  • Extract the resources/webOS/nova-cust-image-roadrunner.rootfs.tgz file
  • Get everything that says "skype" on it, transfer it to your Pre
  • Install the skype installer on your Pre with the '''-nodeps''' parameter
  • Get the following libraries from the Doctor (in /usr/lib): libmedia-api.so, libmedia-clonk.so, libdb-4.8.so, libmojodb.so, transfer them to your Pre
  • Get the /usr/bin/mediaserver file from your Doctor, transfer it to your Pre

After this, you can reboot your Pre 2. You'll find that you can now add an Skype account that works with the messaging application.

Now, this is for the brave, these are my findings at the moment. It works, it FREAKING WORKS!!!!!!

I did this on my spare Pre Plus, and... well, I have skype messaging

Now, the sad part:
I haven't been able to make voice calls, the phone app barks with a messaging saying that I don't have a skype account. After looking at the source, it looks for a "VOICE" account, and the new skype ipk defines the account as "PHONE" account, so, I'm screwed.

I've been trying to make the enyo 2.2.4 phone app work on 2.1 but I haven't been able to do so. I'm tired now, and I won't make a script right now, but perhaps later I'll cook something.

Who knows, maybe we will be able to add this to meta doctor!

So, our old little webOS phones still have some life in them!

IN THE END I THINK I HIT A WALL ON THE ROAD. SINCE WE DON'T HAVE AUDIO THIS CAN'T WORK PROPERLY, SORRY.

If this works for you, feel free to share the wealth to cesar.negrete at gmail dot com on PayPal

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg

Last edited by NuttyBunny; 12/21/2011 at 12:03 PM.
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by amjz, kataran and Alinaki like this.
Thanked by amjz, getsun, luming1377
Old 12/20/2011, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Awesome I would like to let people know that my personal experience with Skype on both 2.2.4 and 3.0.4, is that I'd advise against using it if you are a very heavy Skype user - i have hundreds of Skype contacts, with dozens of conversations going at any given time, and just logging into Skype absolutely punishes the performance of my Pre2 or my TouchPad.

However, it seems to work fine on TouchPad for my gf, who has merely a dozen or so contacts. SO, ymmv.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2011, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Awesome I would like to let people know that my personal experience with Skype on both 2.2.4 and 3.0.4, is that I'd advise against using it if you are a very heavy Skype user - i have hundreds of Skype contacts, with dozens of conversations going at any given time, and just logging into Skype absolutely punishes the performance of my Pre2 or my TouchPad.

However, it seems to work fine on TouchPad for my gf, who has merely a dozen or so contacts. SO, ymmv.
True, the messaging app on webOS tends to lag a lot when you have many messaging contacts and/or conversations. But it's a good option anyway

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2011, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Excellent i really hope this works for my PRE- on 2.1
Kenjo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi bunny, just in case you are wondering there are a lot of people waiting for the script for both legacy devices, and att pre3

so when you lay off the eggnog do remember us poor souls

happy holidays !
MihMih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post

I'm just getting started with this, but it's working really well for me this way: I set up a Google Voice number that forwards to/rings my Skype Number (Pre 2 and Touchpad) My Skype number CID is set to my GV number so people return my call using the GV number. So now I make domestic calls via Skype and people can text or call the GV number which can also ring a landline or my VZW # if Skype is unavailable, and my texts are stored on GV. Skype voice quality actually seems better than over standard VZW. Cost of added Skype features was $60 for a year, or about $5 per month - that's what it costs me for 250 texts a month through Verizon.

I don't have many Skype contacts but I'm using Synergy contacts to make calls on the TP and the settings on the phone determine whether outgoing calls go through Skype or VZW. I use GVoice for texts.

Definitely worthwhile in my case.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 04:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
Yep, you read this right. We will now have at least skype messaging on 2.1 devices, including Pre 2 (non VZW), Pre and Pre+. I'll fiddle with the 2.1 Pixi later.

First, Good, Awesome, Great Work Man!

Thanks a Dozen Ton

Second, Few things that might help....
1. A Script -By John Steffes
2. A Fix to the Luna Crash(Possibly, May not work, Works for me Atleast)

--Thanks Again !
Old 01/27/2012, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

In /etc/asound.conf (2.2.4) I've found something about voip-mapping for audio devices. Maybe, there is one of the keys to fix calls
Alinaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is this really working?
devil.insulted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2012, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi folks

I was so excited to see this thread...

So, to summarize: the area I'm interested in: Can Skype work on the Veer?
If so, which version of WebOS is needed?
Is there a "magic recipe" to follow anywhere to get Skype working on the Veer? I'm running 2.12.

Thanks!

russ
russraff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2012, 03:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
Hi folks

I was so excited to see this thread...

So, to summarize: the area I'm interested in: Can Skype work on the Veer?
If so, which version of WebOS is needed?
Is there a "magic recipe" to follow anywhere to get Skype working on the Veer? I'm running 2.12.

Thanks!

russ
You can with unofficial 2.2.3/2.2.4 update (it will work for voice too), but it has it's own other issues as well.

1. No proper stereo sound via magnetic connector (OK via BlueTooth though).
2. Occasional reboots when calling (seems to happen on certain networks only though).

See the following 2 topics for the options

WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
You can with unofficial 2.2.3/2.2.4 update (it will work for voice too), but it has it's own other issues as well.

1. No proper stereo sound via magnetic connector (OK via BlueTooth though).
2. Occasional reboots when calling (seems to happen on certain networks only though).

See the following 2 topics for the options

WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
Thanks Herrie!

Do you have personal experience on this, and if so, what would your personal choice between 2.2.3 vs. 2.2.4 be, and why?

Thanks again for the info & links... about to dive on in.

russ
russraff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2012, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
Thanks Herrie!

Do you have personal experience on this, and if so, what would your personal choice between 2.2.3 vs. 2.2.4 be, and why?

Thanks again for the info & links... about to dive on in.

russ
There is not much difference between 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 actually. I would go for 2.2.4 since the official latest version is 2.2.4. Try to go for the "Doctor" version by John Steffles since that uses original 2.2.4 files instead of the "leaked" beta ones.

It DOES require you to manually update some firmwares but it's the best solution out there right now. Don't bother with A6 update in case you don't have a Touchpad! Modem and Touchpanel update will be required though!
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 07:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hi,
I am working to get Skype running @GSM/WLAN network on an WebOS 2.1.0 Pre- , but sadly i am really poor with the command line.
Could you give me a script to run? Or could you tell me, how to "Install the skype installer on your Pre with the '''-nodeps''' parameter",
and what location you mean, when you say "transfer to pre"?

Some help would be really great

Thx in advance,
BloodyGenes
BloodyGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 02:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

well the thing is, patch can be made, and also I had gone quite far with this and made even calls to work by rewriting pieces of code in the phone app, but then another bigger problem stuck me.....the camera app doesn't work. Reason : The mediaserver binary, when it is copied over from webos 2.2 to 2.1.....if anyone can help me with this camera thing being the only problem, skype wouldn't be much more of a thing thereafter.

Exact Problem....
The camera app reboots, it is in some form of loop and sometimes a black screen with "cannot load camera" error comes in....if someone can hel with this, i can provide even more details.

@BloodyGenes...... try using "ipkg install skype.ipk -nodeps", i don't remember the command exactly....if it doesn't work try "ipkg --help" you'll get a list and example of howto...hope it helps !!!
Old 07/22/2013, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

crash on sound output from apps is caused by /usr/lib/libmedia-api.so and /usr/bin/mediaserver from 2.2 , if you revert them everything works normaly, but skype doesn't login;
i tried this:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libmedia-api.so-skype" /usr/bin/mediaserver-skype

it runs but doesn't help with skype
Update: all binary files ( skypekit, skypevalidator and skypem ) start with the webos 2.1 mediaserver , so the problem may be somewhere else ...
Update 2: skypevalidator writes to syslog skypevalidator[16736]: [skypevalidator] gstQueryResult failed: unknown
and gives no response to luna service request

Last edited by Zer0C001; 07/23/2013 at 04:49 AM.
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0