Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree242Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    It was going to be a non-responsive area about 100 pixels below the current writing, and it was going to move following your writing, but there's something odd about the multitouch recognition with the touchpad, sometimes it shows one finger, sometimes it picks up the palm as another, sometimes don't, it's driving me crazy

I think I'll go with the simpler approach:

1. When you put your pen/finger on the screen, it registers it as a touch start (it DOES in webOS).
    2. If you put more fingers before the drag start (before you start moving the first as registered by webOS), you will be able to do 2 or 3 finger gestures.
    3. If you start dragging with just one finger, it will ignore all other inputs until you lift all your fingers.

That should work, because as I said, the resting pad isn't working as I would like

Ideas? Does that sound fine?
    This sounds fine but can it be user selectable?
  2.    #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtlong View Post
    This sounds fine but can it be user selectable?
    Like, how selectable? What for?
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    are those 3 separate methods? or do they all tie in together?
  4.    #444  
    Quote Originally Posted by DM13 View Post
    are those 3 separate methods? or do they all tie in together?
    Together:

You put your finger somewhere, webOS registers as a "touchstart" event
    Then, from here 3 things can happen:
    1. You move your finger long enough to be registered as a drag movement, it sticks in this mode
    2. You put another finger, webOS knows this and will wait for you to move around or add another finger. If you start dragging them, you go into drag+zoom mode (yes, it's still not working) and sticks there until you lift all fingers
    3. You put a third finger and start dragging them, you go into page flipping mode and sticks there until you lift all the fingers.

I think it will be a wise idea to have an icon representing what you're doing depending on the gestures as well.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Oh okay! That sounds like a good process you have developed. I definitely think an icon is a must to show the user in which process they are in while dealing with the app!
    Definitly like the process you mention as well an icon showing the user depending on the gestures.

On another note, you mentioned that the radius limit is a webOS issue. Installing the patch "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" has helped a great deal with the user experience of your app, at least for me. I don't know who maintains the patch, but was wondering if the radius limit could be improved. Are there other patches out there that could help with this?
    The problem with the small letters is that you're not going over the radius limit that webOS has to recognize movements as dragging. That's the reason some users suggested to use the reduce drag radius patches, it helps in these cases.

Pencil thickness issues have been fixed.

Once I put the text fields, I'll look into the posibility of the spell check

Nutty, thanks for quick response!

Couple points to clarify my previous post:

- Increased Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10 was installed before I started testing.
    - Remove Tap Ripple was installed last night and I believe it helps a lot with responsiveness.
    - I am starting to think I need to press firmer on the stylus while writing (will test it today on the field - next few days will be writing/drawing all day long, will try to use Touchpad as much a I can.

PS. We are going to have a spell-checker?! WOO HOO!!!
    Like, how selectable? What for?
    Sorry for late reply at meeting and hard to play. I was thinking of the palm guard being able to be switched on or off.
  9.    #449  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9orynych View Post
    IF we get one, it'll be the standard one that you use when typing text, nothing fancier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

stbxxl, 9orynych and mcaf123 like this.
    IF we get one, it'll be the standard one that you use when typing text, nothing fancier.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    what is the patch that reduces drag radius called?
    wow so after playing with this for a while today..i made some internal upgrades using preware
    1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

Huge difference in performance... using the jot is performed VERY WELL ... allot better.. ...its ready for fast writing... one issue ...I sounded like i was typing on a type writer cause it was clicking every time i started a new word ....

Oh well i feel sorry for who has to sit next to me in class Mauhahahahhahahaha
    the video isnt the clearest but i did it to show more speed(and if it can take my chicken scratch) ... which it did allot better Especially since i left it on the smallest pencil size it was really impressive.

Ps for anyone who cant read chicken it says "I should be doing my homework but i am here messing around with this pad...."
    Last edited by ultimateboss; 10/10/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9orynych View Post
    Nutty, thanks for quick response!

Couple points to clarify my previous post:

- Increased Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10 was installed before I started testing.
    - Remove Tap Ripple was installed last night and I believe it helps a lot with responsiveness.
    - I am starting to think I need to press firmer on the stylus while writing (will test it today on the field - next few days will be writing/drawing all day long, will try to use Touchpad as much a I can.

Thanks 9orynych,

I installed the "Remove Tap Ripple" patch as you suggested and it does improve it some more. I will be on a flight tonight so I will have a chance to test it out and put it through its paces, but so far so good. One thing I find funny is that only using my finger I am able to write very small letter/characters that I am not able to do as well with the Jot or any other stylus I have tried so far.

Nevertheless, thanks again for the patch suggestion.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    The problem with the small letters is that you're not going over the radius limit that webOS has to recognize movements as dragging. That's the reason some users suggested to use the reduce drag radius patches, it helps in these cases.
    Yes this patch improved the situation quite a bit for me. Additionally the (auto-positioning) zoom function will be of great help. One can write large (i.e. webOS can recognize it) and still gets a reasonable sized handwriting when the notepad is printed for instance.
    hmm.... It IS a beta

One of the last functions to be added was to put more backgrounds (done) and even import backgrounds (not yet)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I've been using beta 0.08 and it works well for what it does. Regarding backgrounds, you mention being able to import or have addtional backgrounds in the future. Have you thought of handwriting paper (the ones with the dotted line down the center) for kids, or music paper? Just a thought as my 4 yr old loves playing on my TP.

Thanks for all you do.
    TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by taimahsu View Post
    what is the patch that reduces drag radius called?
    Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
    Anyone else getting a little lag when writing fast? Anyway around that? I'm already @ 1.5ghz. Seems good otherwise, I can't wait until saving ability and palm touch disabling.

PS does anyone know what the difference is between increase touch sensitivity and smoothness vs increase touch sensitivity and smoothness 10 is? I had the latter installed but saw the first had been updated more recently, so I switched to that. Seems improved but I may be imagining things.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    Hey Nutty,

this looks better, couple of suggestion to improve, sorry if already mentioned by someone :

1. Instead of or in addition to page buttons at the bottom if you can implement a a hand or a pointer that disables the wrriting and erasing but enables page next or page previous based on hand gesture

2. Have colored dots at the bottom as color picker

here's the video, quick and dirty

Actually point 1 is already happening using three fingers to shift next or previous page
    Quote Originally Posted by jining View Post
    Anyone else getting a little lag when writing fast? Anyway around that? I'm already @ 1.5ghz. Seems good otherwise, I can't wait until saving ability and palm touch disabling.

PS does anyone know what the difference is between increase touch sensitivity and smoothness vs increase touch sensitivity and smoothness 10 is? I had the latter installed but saw the first had been updated more recently, so I switched to that. Seems improved but I may be imagining things.
    I beleive Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10 was a compromise between 8 and 15 point radius (it said something like it in description)
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by jining View Post
    Anyone else getting a little lag when writing fast? Anyway around that? I'm already @ 1.5ghz.
    Yeah, I'm at 1.7Ghz and feel it a bit slow. It's because of the line smoothing. I have an idea. Since I already have an unused, preview layer, I'll use it to write lines for the preview, and do the smooth lines in the background. Should look fine.

Update: Nevermind, looks like crap. App stays the way it is

Last edited by NuttyBunny; 10/11/2011 at 10:20 AM.