1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of buying an unbranded, unlocked GSM 650 ($599 direct from Palm) and then activating it on Verizon (my current service provider). I've become lost in the sea of details and am looking for some guidance.

I've searched this forum (GSM-US) looking for any discussion about the details of to do this and any potential problems that I might run to. However, I've become very suspicous because I have found nothing about Verizon here -- only Cingular, TMobile, etc. Is what I want to do non-feasible for some reason? Does Verizon not allow unbranded phones on their network?

BTW, the reason I want to do this is because my 600 has developed bad pixels that are spreading. In order to keep my current calling plan ($60 a month Family Share with no data, yeah, i know it's weird, but i don't use my Treo for web), I'd have to pay Verizon $519 for a 650. (I'm in between my warranty and upgrade periods.) Why not just pay a bit more so that I can play with an unlocked phone when I travel overseas? I don't really *need* an unlocked phone, i just *want* one...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

kelle
    Sorry dude, Verizon does not operate a GSM network. They use CDMA technology only. What you are trying to do is not possible. If you want to keep Verizon as your carrier, then just purchase the 650 through them.

Don't worry about using your phone overseas, Verizon phones will not work there. If you are going overseas, you can simply purchase any cheap Nokia or Sony Ericsson and use a prepaid SIM card from one of the local carriers.