1.    #1  
    I recently got an unlock code for my 650 from cingular. I "installed" it, the phone responded with a message saying the phone is now unlocked. However, when I tried to use a non-cingular sim card I got a message that the phone would not work with that sim card. A second sim card was tried and it also failed to work. Any suggestions?
    I have read that it will say "Unlocked" even with an incorrect unlock code, something to confuse people I suppose.

Is it possible your unlock code is not valid for your phone?
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    If you got a GSM unlock code, then it should work with other sims, as long as they are not CDMA.

For example, Cingular, Fido, Orange and T-Mobile are GSM.

Did you possibly install a CDMA sim like Sprint or Verizon?
    No such thing as a CDMA sim card...that format doesn't use them.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Did you try a t-mobile SIM card? When I unlocked my phone I put in a t-mobile SIM and a Cingular orange SIM ( I was AT&T / Cingular blue ) and it worked perfectly. I have seen on previous unlock posts that entering any combination of numbers will give you the unlock successful message even though the phone is no unlocked. Maybe you entered on or more of the numbers in the wrong sequence. Who did you unlock your phone through?
    Did you ask cingular for a SIM unlock code or a subsidy unlock code? One will unlock your SIM card, if you've accidentally locked your SIM and can't get the info off it (the SIM unlock code). The other will unlock your phone, allowing it to be used with any SIM card (the subsidy unlock code).
    Remember that the subsidy unlock code is the code that everybody wants because that is the thing that allows your phone to be used on another network.

There are at least three "locking" codes on the treo 650 (that I know of).
    The subsidy unlock code requires the owner to provide the IMEI number.
    The Subsidy Unlock Code is specific to your phone.

With that number and your sim chip, somebody can clone your phone and get service under your account.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphwg
    I recently got an unlock code for my 650 from cingular. I "installed" it, the phone responded with a message saying the phone is now unlocked. However, when I tried to use a non-cingular sim card I got a message that the phone would not work with that sim card. A second sim card was tried and it also failed to work. Any suggestions?
    I had this EXACT same problem while traveling in Asia recently. I spent over an hour on the phone with Cingular International Care, and to no avail, they were unable to unlock my phone. They deemed the phone defective, and instructed me to setup an equipment exchange when I got back to the states. I have since completed an equipment exchange and now have an unlocked T650.

So I suppose the next time I travel I'll be set
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the input. I have decided that I will deal with the problem when I return home at the end of the week. I am not inclined to spend the time necessary to deal with while. traveling. I will fill you in after I have spokento Cingular next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3
    No such thing as a CDMA sim card...that format doesn't use them.
    that format actually DOES use sim cards, just not in america, just in Korea, they are called R-UIM cards, some dual mode cdma/gsm handsets exist and they have a vodafone sim card
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphwg
    Thanks for all the input. I have decided that I will deal with the problem when I return home at the end of the week. I am not inclined to spend the time necessary to deal with while. traveling. I will fill you in after I have spokento Cingular next week.
    If I were you I would forget all the hassle and go to unlockcellular.com like I did and get the code yourself to unlock. I had my phone unlocked in 5 minutes after HOURS of dealing with jerks at Cingular lieing to me that they could not unlock my phone. I travel a ton internationally which they could easily verify from my phone bills....but they refused to unlock saying they did not have a means by which to provide the codes.
    Same exact problem for me. Asked Cingular for subsidy unlock code, they emailed it to me with a confirmation of my IMEI number. I very carefully entered it, double-checking it along the way. The phone, however, rejected a foreign SIM. And let me tell you the guy in the phone store--in this certain middle eastern country--was not too happy about it either, because he had already taken it out of the package and was insisting that I buy it anyway.

It sounds as if Cingular has a problem with the algorithm, if so many people are reporting that there subsidy unlock codes fail.