Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...not sure about the warranty. Do you guys think this would be a good deal or would you opt for a new unit???
    Mike
    See what the warranty is and who did the refurbishing. Cingular should have a 30 day return policy as well. Is that the price with a service contract?
    2 year contract.
    Even if you buy a brand new one, you may likely end up with a refurbished unit sooner or later. This is because, anecdotally at least, many of them fail, and Cingular will replace your new unit with a refurbished phone. Some common problems are sticking keys, the "HALradio" error, broken earphone jacks, and spontaneously cracking cases. My original phone had the first problem and the refurbished replacement from Cingular has the second. So, I think you would be just as well off with a refurbished phone as a new phone. It's also quite possible that a refurbished phone might even undergo a higher degree of quality control than a new phone.
    Where is this being offered? Do you have a website link?

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum
    ...not sure about the warranty. Do you guys think this would be a good deal or would you opt for a new unit???
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    mbransum,
    thanks for the post. I try to check terocentral site every week. I decided to go for the $139 refurb unit. Don't really want a two year contract but at this price I'm willing to do it. I'm ready to move from my 600 screen so 650 should be very nice.

thanks again for the post !
    Yeah I tried to order this and since I needed a deposit, and they dont accept deposits online, I couldnt order it. I called the local store, and they cant take the deposit without me buying a phone and plan (And no refurbs at this price). I cant do it over the phone because they wont let you order that phone anywhere but online.

How dumb. The only way around this was to get a friend to order it and when it arrives I will cahnge the financial responsibility and pay my deposit. I even had the phone people stumped with this one.

Coming from T-Mobile and a Treo 600 (Where this same issue was taken care of on the phone and I got the online price back when I had a v60) I know I will have better service here in SoCal... But it appears customer service is going to be the trade off.
    go to the cingular site then click on Cell Phones & PDAs link. Put in your zip code and have the 'Purchase new phones or plans' radio button selected. Click Next button. At the next screen the treo is indeed listed at the bottom of the list of phones but to see the refurib unit you need to select PDA in the VIEW window then click on the arrow button. The refurb treo 650 will then appear.

also, it appears the refurb units come with a one year warranty
    Check out the warranty and if Cingular's 30 day return policy applies. If you can live with the warranty and you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it, it is a tempting offer.

I'd probably take advantage of it. Cingular's refurbished units are likely phones that people have returned that they didn't like. There are some that have been returned to the manufacturer for repair but talking with a local sales rep, he said most are simply returns from customers who didn't like the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    Check out the warranty and if Cingular's 30 day return policy applies. If you can live with the warranty and you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it, it is a tempting offer.

I'd probably take advantage of it. Cingular's refurbished units are likely phones that people have returned that they didn't like. There are some that have been returned to the manufacturer for repair but talking with a local sales rep, he said most are simply returns from customers who didn't like the phone.
    I tend to doubt that. My refurbished replacement from Cingular had something like 5,000 minutes accumulated on the counter. It had been used and used a lot.
    I'm just going with what I've been told. It may be different in other regions.
    how do u check the minute counter?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by umcp
    how do u check the minute counter?
    Anyone...
    Mike
    Got mine yesterday and it's like new. Very happy with it. No scratches and works like a charm. A great replacement for my V551/Zire72 setup.

Seems much speedier as it's a calss 10 device compared to my V551.

As for checking minute usage on the phone - I have not found that out yet. Seems strange that it would not be included. I would bet that there are applications out there that would track the minutes on the phone though.

Steve
    Anyone...
    On my Cingular Treo it's #*786 then dial.
    Thanks coppertop! Works great!

Mine has around 3200 minutes

Steve
    My refurb has 1190 minutes on it. The warranty for the refurb will be a year. Its been a great phone so far. I'm pretty pleased with it.
    mine will not be here until wednesday. fedex two day fom tx

at least I have off thur & friday
    thanks.. my refurb that i received from an insurance claim had around 1100 minutes.
    I just received my first Treo from Cingular's refurbs yesterday and I can tell you the phone looks great BUT my phone within the first hour starting freezing, buttons locked and didn't do anything when pushed, while in a phone call the screen goes black, have had to do a soft reset MANY times within the first 24 hours. I want to love this phone but already I'm getting frustrated with the freezing up and resetting. HELP!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast