Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Cingular website now has the refurbs...ordered 2 yesterday for my wife and myself. I have read all the posts on this thread, anything special I should look for or do when I receive these. I too thought the $139 was a good price. The people at the Cingular phone store tried to talk me out of it...said it would be like a used car and would have a shorter warranty than a new phone...hmmm maybe a conflict of interest. The web site says it has a 1 year warranty and 30 days to return. I figured "what to lose"? Are most of you satisfied with your refurb?
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd
    I assume you meen whatever quirks your wife's phone may have? ;-)
    Maybe both... I'd be more likely to fix her Treo quirks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rough2000
    Are most of you satisfied with your refurb?
    Simple yes... Good price, like-new, 1 year warranty. The CSR's likely don't get as much money out of it.
    I ordered a refurbished model last week. It arrived today. Everything looked good - until I tried to make a call. The speaker worked as far as ringing and sound went, but I could not hear or speak to anyone. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but both telephone tech support and the Cingular retail store confirmed the phone was broken.

I called the number that came with my order and was a bit upset that in order for Cingular to send me a new refurbished phone, I needed to complete a new order, including paying again for the phone replacement. When they receive the returned phone, my credit card will be credited for the amount of the new order.

So I think your mileage may vary with this deal. The phone operator tried the old bait and switch "Are you sure you want the refurbished phone? We've been having a lot of problems with them." I asked her why they were knowingly selling phones they knew would not work, therefore, were not "refurbished". She quickly changed her tone after that.

Just don't need a refurbished phone quickly .
    Ordered the phone Friday morning and Fedex delivered it Monday afternoon. Then I got the Welcome Kit via email and it showed that instead of my Unlimited MediaNet/1.5K Text Msgs/MMS, I now have the basic MediaNet with only 5MB, 1k Text Msgs.

Tried the Billing dept first and got nowhere there. Tonight I tried the Retention and was told that I will be able to keep my grandfathered Unlimited Medianet package. As an added precaution, I asked the CSR to email me a copy of the notation that she place on my account so that if there's any issue with my new billing I can use that as proof.

Btw, the unit showed 375 lifetime minutes. Screen protector was scratched, but there are no scratches on the screen itself. Now to test this unit...
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield_88888
    Tried the Billing dept first and got nowhere there. Tonight I tried the Retention and was told that I will be able to keep my grandfathered Unlimited Medianet package. As an added precaution, I asked the CSR to email me a copy of the notation that she place on my account so that if there's any issue with my new billing I can use that as proof.
    Good job grabbing them by the balls. Nowhere does it state that you agree to dump your good data package for a new phone. Maybe they'll add that in sometime and we'll be hosed, but until then..

Ya know, why do they even care.. Someone on a normal phone tethered could use a lot more data than someone on a Treo using it normally.
    It appears that the second time is a charm. I received a replacement for my broken unit today, and it works flawlessly so far. The phone only has 20 minutes on it and has Software Rev 1.17-CNG. So far so good...
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield_88888

Btw, the unit showed 375 lifetime minutes. Screen protector was scratched, but there are no scratches on the screen itself. Now to test this unit...
    Been using the unit for 5 days. It came with FW1.51/SW1.17/HW-A. Volume is a lot louder than my old unlocked unit. But it resets at least 3x a day ...
    Tho I have to admit that I was lazy. Instead of doing a fresh install, I used Backupmand loaded it with a backup from my other unlocked unit. So I'll try to do a fresh install of all the apps and see if that will fix it.

Btw, my old unlocked Palm unit (FW1.14/SW1.05) had 8.7M left in internal memory when I did a backup. When I loaded that backup into the refurb, it showed 18.8M left in internal memory! This has convinced me to upgrade my unlocked unit to the latest FW/SW. But I do have I don't introduce the frequent re-set that I'm now seeing on the refurb unit.
    Was anyone able to order the refurbished phones online lately? I went through all the order steps and got a confirmation email shortly after but then a few hours later got an email saying:
    "Thank you for choosing Cingular Wireless.

Your web order was cancelled in accordance with our standard business practices. We have reviewed your order and we were either unable to verify the information you provided, or you have exceeded the limit on the number of phones that may be ordered online.

You may reapply for service through one of our retail locations. Click here to find a Cingular Wireless retail location near you.

Please visit one of our Cingular retail locations and present your identification to our representatives. They will be happy to help you purchase a wireless device, accessories, and service from that location. Not all offers or prices available at all locations.

Thank you,

The Cingular Wireless eStore Team"

any idea why???

Thanks!
    Ix.
    Could someone provide a link to the Cingular store webpage which had these Refurbished Treos (or ANY Refurbished phones)? All I can find are the typical full price, phone and plan combo pages.
    Thanx!
    They are only offered when there are phones to sell. Watch the page.
    On a certain level, I'm comforted that Cingular hasn't received enough recent returns to be able to offer a ton of refurbs...

...Then I wonder if Cingular isn't offering the refurbs because they want to phase them out... EEEP
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    They're back!!!!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    However, the refurbs are really suck. I bought one, but only the 5th replacement works. The 3 previous were permantly locked to CNG network, that means, you couldn't unlock the phone in order to use with another carrier, even with the unlock code given by Cing's Reps. The 4th is 0 min, but has the hardware issue. I never buy it again. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Ditto. Same thing happened to me
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    However, the refurbs are really suck. I bought one, but only the 5th replacement works. The 3 previous were permantly locked to CNG network, that means, you couldn't unlock the phone in order to use with another carrier, even with the unlock code given by Cing's Reps. The 4th is 0 min, but has the hardware issue. I never buy it again. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Cingular's unlock codes are usually wrong, there are services to get it done for $25.

Amazing...
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Cingular's unlock codes are usually wrong, there are services to get it done for $25.

Amazing...
    I actually got my code from Cingular without a problem and it works fine. it took them a few hours to email it to me. The phone was an ATT phone and it wouldn't work with my Cingular SIM. I gave them a call and they emailed to me without any hassle.
    I just got one of these from Cingular and works great. They still have them online, at least when i put in my TX zip code. Ordered it on Friday at it was on my door step on tues. I am really happy. Here is the link, sorry so long.

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel...ce%3DINC230056
    My broher's on Cingular and is ordering one for me to use and unlock. Such a nice brother I have.

I'll let you know how it works out.
    Well, my Treo came. Works fine on Cingualr. They told me that I'd have an unloick code on Friday if approved.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast